The Watering Hole (social)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Me all damn day

Seriously it is the worst.... I keep thinking I'm bored, but I don't feel like driving, movies sound boring, reading sounds boring...now I'm stuffing my face.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Seriously it is the worst.... I keep thinking I'm bored, but I don't feel like driving, movies sound boring, reading sounds boring...now I'm stuffing my face.
I spent a few hours getting a video game going (don't go 6 months without using your computers, people), game kept crashing so I switched to a different game, got bored about 5 minutes in and I've been bored since. Sort of watching Scrubs was the only thing that seemed marginally interesting.

Reactions: 1 users
I spent a few hours getting a video game going (don't go 6 months without using your computers, people), game kept crashing so I switched to a different game, got bored about 5 minutes in and I've been bored since. Sort of watching Scrubs was the only thing that seemed marginally interesting.

Oh man. Y'all should've been at our Easter breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Entertainment for days. RIP to my therapist though if she tries to understand what happened this weekend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man. Y'all should've been at our Easter breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Entertainment for days. RIP to my therapist though if she tries to understand what happened this weekend.
Nope nope nope would rather die from boredom

Reactions: 1 user
Nope nope nope would rather die from boredom
Oh man. I decided to compile a list of all the **** I got yelled at about today.

Today I got yelled at by all 10 family members about:
  1. Feminism
  2. Planned Parenthood
  3. Abortions
  4. Anti Christian values
  5. Transgender rights
  6. Actually LGBT rights in general
  7. Evolution as it fits into religion
  8. The umbrella of science as it fits into religion
  9. "Depression is a real thing, but you don't have it"
  10. "No you're just sad"
  11. Anxiety isn't a real thing, stop being nervous.
  12. Subtly calling me fat
  13. Telling to workout more "you know if you work out dedicatedly for the next week, you can wear the smaller dress to banquet"
  14. "You don't need a dog, you just need a boyfriend"
  15. And my favorite, from my grandma: "Genetics/ Genetic Research aren't a real thing, they're just lies made up by scientists to make money.
Fun times. Fuuuun times.
*eye roll*

Oh man. I decided to compile a list of all the **** I got yelled at about today.

1. Feminism
  2. Planned Parenthood
  3. Abortions
  4. Anti Christian values
  5. Transgender rights
  10. "No you're just sad"
  12. And my favorite, from my grandma: "Genetics/ Genetic Research aren't a real thing, they're just lies made up by scientists to make money.
Fun times. Fuuuun times. And these all happened in the span of 2 hours maybe?
*eye roll*

Um, these are just taboo things to never bring up at family gatherings, or if they are brought up ignore and deflect... the only thing to add to that list is anything political.

Um, these are just taboo things to never bring up at family gatherings, or if they are brought up ignore and deflect... the only thing to add to that list is anything political.
Her brother brought up some of it because he knew her views on it and was being a dick and stirring every single pot possible. Cdo was told that she needed to throw him out the window.

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't bring any of them up. My dingus of a brother decided to bring them up to make them yell at me. He sat back and laughed. Tried to ignore and deflect, but my family, man.

I didn't bring any of them up. My dingus of a brother decided to bring them up to make them yell at me. He sat back and laughed. Tried to ignore and deflect, but my family, man.

I'll up and walk away from conversations I don't want to be a part of. The "I have to use the bathroom ".... then be in there for 20+ minutes.

Reactions: 4 users

1. Feminism
  2. Planned Parenthood
  3. Abortions
  4. Anti Christian values
  5. Transgender rights
  10. "No you're just sad"
  12. Subtly calling me fat
  13. Telling to workout more "you know if you work out dedicatedly for the next week, you can wear the smaller dress to banquet"
  14. "You don't need a dog, you just need a boyfriend"
  15. And my favorite, from my grandma: "Genetics/ Genetic Research aren't a real thing, they're just lies made up by scientists to make money.
Fun times. Fuuuun times.
*eye roll*
Don't forget that you don't need a dog, you just need a boyfriend.:rolleyes:

Those things should not fulfill the same purpose

Her brother brought up some of it because he knew her views on it and was being a dick and stirring every single pot possible. Cdo was told that she needed to throw him out the window.
"Dicks get defenestrated, that's just how it works"
I'll up and walk away from conversations I don't want to be a part of. The "I have to use that bathroom ".... then be in there for 20+ minutes.
dude I did that too. Apparently while I was gone, he kept making snide comments so no one forgot about it. So when I came back, they jumped on me. Ugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
dude I did that too. Apparently while I was gone, he kept making snide comments so no one forgot about it. So when I came back, they jumped on me. Ugh.

Announce loudly that "you forgot to take a ****" and you'll be back.... ;)

I would physically beat my brother if he everdid that s***. Screw your family you're awesome not them.

Hahahaha that's #14. This list should not be 15 points long...
It was not there before. Didn't realize you added three more things haha

image.png

Announce loudly that "you forgot to take a ****" and you'll be back.... ;)
I'll have to do that next time!
I would physically beat my brother if he everdid that s***. Screw your family you're awesome not them.
Yeah here's the thing. He's bigger than me, stronger than me, and older than me. I wouldn't last a chance, and the last time we fought/ were wrestling, he accidentally choked me out and I momentarily blacked out. Sooo. Physically I can't beat him.

We had easter family thing start at 330....it is almost 630... go home people, party is over. I want to be left alone now. Thanks for coming. Bye!

I'll have to do that next time!
Yeah here's the thing. He's bigger than me, stronger than me, and older than me. I wouldn't last a chance, and the last time we fought/ were wrestling, he accidentally choked me out and I momentarily blacked out. Sooo. Physically I can't beat him.
I can't physically beat my brother either. It's not about size, strength, or whatever. I grew up with six older siblings who were a lot older than me because I was the product of both my parents second marriage. When we wrestled I was severely outclassed. So I fought meaner. It is simply a decision to cause more pain than the other person is willing to. Of course I love my brother dearly, and when he put my head through the garage wall we both laughed it off and promised not to tell mom until after our vacation trip. Also, when confronted about having children by a variety of in-law people this Easter I made them feel as uncomfortable as possible for asking the question, then they will learn to not ask me. I'm sure your family loves you and wants what's best for you. And when you start talking about your beliefs that contradict theirs they are condescending and down right rude, or pat you on the head and tell you when you grow up you'll understand these things because you're just so young and naive now. I'm sure they still love you but I always make it a point that if they insult me, I will insult them. I'm sorry you don't think genetics are a real thing, maybe if you get smarter you'll understand one day :). I'm sorry this turned into a passive-aggressive rant, I hope you're day gets better cdo. Family just sucks sometimes.

I can't physically beat my brother either. It's not about size, strength, or whatever. I grew up with six older siblings who were a lot older than me because I was the product of both my parents second marriage. When we wrestled I was severely outclassed. So I fought meaner. It is simply a decision to cause more pain than the other person is willing to. Of course I love my brother dearly, and when he put my head through the garage wall we both laughed it off and promised not to tell mom until after our vacation trip. Also, when confronted about having children by a variety of in-law people this Easter I made them feel as uncomfortable as possible for asking the question, then they will learn to not ask me. I'm sure your family loves you and wants what's best for you. And when you start talking about your beliefs that contradict theirs they are condescending and down right rude, or pat you on the head and tell you when you grow up you'll understand these things because you're just so young and naive now. I'm sure they still love you but I always make it a point that if they insult me, I will insult them. I'm sorry you don't think genetics are a real thing, maybe if you get smarter you'll understand one day :). I'm sorry this turned into a passive-aggressive rant, I hope you're day gets better cdo. Family just sucks sometimes.

I've started being aggressive aggressive when family tries to pull that "you'll understand when you get older". My dad likes to pull the whole I'm older than you BS so I know what I'm talking about. He'll do it about everything, even things he has no experience with. I call him on that BS.... "I understand you are older and have certain experiences I don't have, but you've never been a woman so don't tell me how I feel about things only a woman can understand. And while you think you know how colleges work, you've never stepped foot on a college campus, so I do know more about colleges than you do. Age doesn't automatically make you know about things you've never had experience with, so don't pretend it does."

He's mostly shut up about the "I'm older so I know more" now.

Reactions: 3 users
We had easter family thing start at 330....it is almost 630... go home people, party is over. I want to be left alone now. Thanks for coming. Bye!
Ugh I had to socialize with family for almost 7 hours today. Came home and took a nice hour and a half nap.
(At least there were dogs and a cute baby though)

I spent almost the entire day at school basically functioning as a tech doing treatments because the equine hospital is crazy busy. My family texted and called me all day crying about how I wasn't home. Literally crying. And also being mad when I couldn't talk on the phone while I was trying to treat patients.

I spent almost the entire day at school basically functioning as a tech doing treatments because the equine hospital is crazy busy. My family texted and called me all day crying about how I wasn't home. Literally crying. And also being mad when I couldn't talk on the phone while I was trying to treat patients.
I'm sorry filly :( <3

Having grown up with a pretty toxic family I'm kind of over the idea that some people are being terrible but still definitely love me and want what's best for me. There are quite a few people in my life who have made it very clear to me that what's best for me is to cut them out almost completely and refuse to engage. People like to throw the ball in your court and get you to play games with them and they don't take it well when you just take the ball with you and leave. I think I'm much better off for it though. I have a very low tolerance for people being blatantly disrespectful to me because after years of it I have come to realize that the onus isn't on me to tolerate or enable the garbage other people spew.

Booo

I can't physically beat my brother either. It's not about size, strength, or whatever. I grew up with six older siblings who were a lot older than me because I was the product of both my parents second marriage. When we wrestled I was severely outclassed. So I fought meaner.

IMG_4773.GIF

Reactions: 6 users
I handle the family holiday stressors by being a workaholic and working through basically every holiday.

As a result the only family I am super close to are my parents, but I am okay with that. I have to fake it so much around extended family that being around them is exhausting anyway.

Next weekend is my family weekend, so looking forward to that! I cope best by just agreeing with whatever they say, no matter how ridiculous it is. Then change the subject, quickly. It's really hard to argue with someone who just says, "Yep, you're right. Want some more coffee? How 'bout them sports?"

Next weekend is my family weekend, so looking forward to that! I cope best by just agreeing with whatever they say, no matter how ridiculous it is. Then change the subject, quickly. It's really hard to argue with someone who just says, "Yep, you're right. Want some more coffee? How 'bout them sports?"
Yup that's how I deal. If you're talking to someone who isn't really receptive to discussion, you're not going to change their mind anyway. Might as well minimize the stress.

My professor just talked about how caulking was used in the anus in association with anal sacculectomies in the past. I hate all of you for having to hold back laughter during then.

Reactions: 14 users
I'll have to do that next time!Yeah, here's the thing. He's bigger than me, stronger than me, and older than me. I wouldn't last a chance, and the last time we fought/ were wrestling, he accidentally choked me out and I momentarily blacked out. Sooo. Physically I can't beat him.

I remember the day we walked in and our 17year old son was screaming "like a girl". His sister, (who was 14) had him on the ground, he had to do everything she said. (which was, "scream like a girl"). Seems her dad had been teaching her pressure points.... There is always to beat a larger opponent!!

I think I'm happiest that Easter is over so that everybody can stop making egg puns. I think almost everyone here on the watering hole has sent me an egg related pun over the last two weeks. But they're... eggtremely appreciated. ;)

I think I'm happiest that Easter is over so that everybody can stop making egg puns. I think almost everyone here on the watering hole has sent me an egg related pun over the last two weeks. But they're... eggtremely appreciated. ;)
They're appreciated??????? So we should send MORE?! :heckyeah:

Proud, definitely. I am currently on my own couch in PJ pants (not fleece bc it's 85 degrees here today) and a tank top drinking the last of my blackberry lemonade from the half gallon bottle. Living alone is wonderful.

I'm currently in fleece PJs on the couch drinking the remainder of my cheap sangria directly from the bottle.

Should I be proud or embarrassed?
Definitely proud.

I had 1 beer (sadly most I have drank in awhile) when I got home today and ordered food instead of cooking, because we got pummeled with our most recent exam, and I felt bad for Myself. When the course instructor needs to spend the first 5 minutes of lecture explaining how it's not his fault that the other instructors were not so nice were there questions, and that he is very sorry about what happened. Good thing I get a wonderful break of an exam tomorrow, and 2 more later in the week!

@vetmedhead I tooootally thought you changed your signature to

"Nurture your mind with great thoughts. To believe in the heroic makes heroin."

I was very confused.

This is just not my week. Lab partner spilled about 50 mL of 12M sulfuric acid on my shirt and arms. That **** burns.

Brb going to drown myself in Mexican water.