The Watering Hole (social)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are ads?

(continued pitch to support SDN and be a donor!)
I contribute to SDN through my witty sarcasm and not very useful advice.

But for real, if I ever get a real job, I’ll definitely contribute lol. I just have negative too many dollars at this point

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was saying CBC is like ghetto quality derpy news, so the fact that they advocate beans in "chili" is par for the course.

Hey now, they're the only radio station where I actually get any news :p

Just because beans in chili is correct and you can't see that doesn't mean you have to disparage my connection with the outside world! *insert gif of old man on lawn shaking fist or something*

Hey now, they're the only radio station where I actually get any news :p
This explains a lot.

Just because beans in chili is correct and you can't see that doesn't mean you have to disparage my connection with the outside world! *insert gif of old man on lawn shaking fist or something*
:troll:

The national chili society says beans shouldn't be in chili, I'll stick with what the experts have declared.

Everyone who disagrees can just sit there with their wrong opinion and be wrong.

The national chili society says beans shouldn't be in chili, I'll stick with what the experts have declared.

Everyone who disagrees can just sit there with their wrong opinion and be wrong.

National chili society. That means they hold no sway in what is correct for Canada

You forgot maple syrup. You’re a bad Canadian.
And Monopoly money.

Nah, real maple syrup is expensive. A pleb like I definitely doesn't have access to that

Reactions: 1 user
This is pretty common with a lot of chemotherapeutic agents lol. I'm reading a book about cancer now and it's almost comical how many of these drugs were discovered because they killed the **** out of people, but someone happened to notice that it incidentally did something that seemed like it might kill cancer first.

If you haven't talked about doxorubicin yet, buckle up. That drug is called Red Death for a reason.
Red death and blue thunder :horns:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just mentioning to MRSSOV ...or reminiscing... about what a good bunch of people were on SDN...and how important it was for this group’s support back in the day. Thought I would log in for fun.

Not much has changed ..just different names nowadays.

Good luck to you all.

+pity+

Reactions: 6 users
I was just mentioning to MRSSOV ...or reminiscing... about what a good bunch of people were on SDN...and how important it was for this group’s support back in the day. Thought I would log in for fun.

Not much has changed ..just different names nowadays.

Good luck to you all.

+pity+
Miss you, old man :love:

I don’t miss being called “old man” though.

Ironically I went from vet school around mainly younger women to aviation around many older men. The good...I am no longer the old man in comparison...the bad...I am around old men.

Aviation guys are generally good people though, at least in my experience! Doing my PPL was a great experience... lots of old guys that have seen it all and tell great stories :laugh:

I got risers for my monitor, keyboard, and mouse so I can stand up at my desk (NEVER have I sat so much in my life as I am doing in an academic job, and winter has made is near impossible to play tennis/get outside because I'm a wuss). I take off my work heels and just stand in my socks. After just two days, my Achilles is already sore from being stretched back out. Damn. Don't use it you lose it.

I'm not sure where we were going but in my dream last night I was headed down a flooded sidewalk in an apparently self propelled canoe with Jil, Dubz, MJ and an unidentified person who was allegedly also from SDN but like no one knew them. Trout--who we somehow passed like 3 different times even though we were going in a straight line--refused to ride with us though bc it was cramped and she was on the phone with someone about getting a bigger canoe for her and some more people from SDN who would meet us there. Still not sure where "there" was.

Just thought I'd share the weirdness since some of y'all made appearances.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm not sure where we were going but in my dream last night I was headed down a flooded sidewalk in an apparently self propelled canoe with Jil, Dubz, MJ and an unidentified person who was allegedly also from SDN but like no one knew them. Trout--who we somehow passed like 3 different times even though we were going in a straight line--refused to ride with us though bc it was cramped and she was on the phone with someone about getting a bigger canoe for her and some more people from SDN who would meet us there. Still not sure where "there" was.

Sounds like a fun canoe!

This is beautiful

My date went well, so I was looking online for second date ideas, one of the suggestions was to go jogging together.

0/10 on the attractiveness scale post run. :laugh:

Reactions: 9 users
I got risers for my monitor, keyboard, and mouse so I can stand up at my desk (NEVER have I sat so much in my life as I am doing in an academic job, and winter has made is near impossible to play tennis/get outside because I'm a wuss). I take off my work heels and just stand in my socks. After just two days, my Achilles is already sore from being stretched back out. Damn. Don't use it you lose it.
#goals
Co-workers I know with standing desks rave about anti-fatigue mats though -- might save your foots and Achilles.

I desperately want to transition to a sit-stand desk, or even a poor man's version with risers. :horns: Sitting for thousands of hours for a decade or so has turned me into Quasimodo +/- thousands of $$$ in medical bills. (Learn from muh mistakes, young'ins reading this! Ergonomics, posture, and avoiding repetitive stress injuries are legit!)

I'm looking at ergo keyboards that won't rape my wallet -- Kinesis has some in the $100-200 range that are "cheap" but good enough tenting. And I'm looking at switching to a vertical mouse so I don't over-pronate my right hand all day with a flat mouse.

Pro Tip (not medical advice) to anyone who uses a regular boring flat keyboard right now: Don't use the keyboard feet on the back of the keyboard which give it positive tilt:

Bad:
images

Neutral: (don't use the feet and just keep it flat)

Ideally you want negative tilt:
iu
iu
iu

Last edited:
#goals
Co-workers I know with standing desks rave about anti-fatigue mats though -- might save your foots and Achilles.

I desperately want to transition to a sit-stand desk, or even a poor man's version with risers. :horns: Sitting for thousands of hours for a decade or so has turned me into Quasimodo +/- thousands of $$$ in medical bills. (Learn from muh mistakes, young'ins reading this! Ergonomics, posture, and avoiding repetitive stress injuries are legit!)

I'm looking at ergo keyboards that won't rape my wallet -- Kinesis has some in the $100-200 range that are "cheap" but good enough tenting. And I'm looking at switching to a vertical mouse so I don't over-pronate my right hand all day with a flat mouse.

Pro Tip (not medical advice) to anyone who uses a regular boring flat keyboard right now: Don't use the keyboard feet on the back of the keyboard which give it positive tilt:

Bad:
images

Neutral: (don't use the feet and just keep it flat)

Ideally you want negative tilt:
iu

iu

iu
Why the negative tilt?

Why the negative tilt?

Edit: Skim through this Wirecutter article and look at the pretty pictures and animations... easier to explain than with words: The Best Ergonomic Keyboard

Can I plagiarize images? :naughty:

ergonomic-keyboards-illustration-630.jpg

ergonomic-keyboards-gif-1-630.gif

-------------------------- Original reply ---------------

Can't remember off the top of my head from nerding out on ergonomics forums, plus not a doctor. It's the most natural, linear angle that doesn't strain the wrist? Sorry for lack of deetz.

Every keyboard out there has feet on the back (sigh) -- the elite ones have feet on the front for some tilt, but I think ideally you want one of those tilty trays.

This is aside from buying a special keyboard with a fairly aggressive "tent" angle:
(naturally this has to be low enough that you're not hunching your shoulders to type lol)

6a00df351e888f883401b7c8bc4d1e970b-800wi

which has something to do with not overpronating... something something ulna crossing over the radius....something carpal tunnel. :p

Same concept with a vertical mouse with a fairly aggressive tent angle:

iu

Last edited:
What the ****
Okay but these are just ridiculous :laugh:
They're super legit tbh. I probably had the same wtf reaction when I first heard about them though or about the "ideal" tilt position when typing.

Dude if you want serious wtf factor, go big or go home and get a Maltron:

0.jpg

or Ergodox:

iu

iu

I guess nerds love their isometric layouts?

Sorry guise for threadjacking. Don't kink shame me!!!

My biggest issues were forward head posture and shoulders hunched and rolled inwards, leading to neck and shoulder fatigue, spasm, etc. Sit up straight y'all, lumbar support, monitor at the perfect eye level, avoid using a laptop 24/7 without a separate keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.

Mansplaining all this because MRIs and physical therapy and potential surgery es no bueno. :)

They're super legit tbh. I probably had the same wtf reaction when I first heard about them though or about the "ideal" tilt position when typing.

Dude if you want serious wtf factor, go big or go home and get a Maltron:

0.jpg

or Ergodox:

iu

iu

I guess nerds love their isometric layouts?

Sorry guise for threadjacking. Don't kink shame me!!!

My biggest issues were forward head posture and shoulders hunched and rolled inwards, leading to neck and shoulder fatigue, spasm, etc.
What even

Also lol I already have a bad back you can’t save me with a keyboard

Debated posting this a couple times because I know SDN isn’t for homework, but several SDNers have asked to take the veterinary portion of the Owner Compliance survey for one of my electives, so I posted it in the watering hole. :laugh:

If you would like to help my elective class research as my group and I develop a solution to a problem in the veterinary profession [ex, our problem is owner compliance] and you want to be my friend, please take my survey.

Debated posting this a couple times because I know SDN isn’t for homework, but several SDNers have asked to take the veterinary portion of the Owner Compliance survey for one of my electives, so I posted it in the watering hole. :laugh:

If you would like to help my elective class research as my group and I develop a solution to a problem in the veterinary profession [ex, our problem is owner compliance] and you want to be my friend, please take my survey.
@SportPonies @SkiOtter @batsenecal and @katashark have expressed interest in my survey, so I’m tagging them so they see it. :laugh:

Veterinary students are welcome to take it, providing you have a semi-good understanding of the clinical aspect of the profession!

Reactions: 1 users

Oops. I have responded with only cheese/Cheez it’s/cheezy dicks related puns. You know which responses are from me. Your data is no long fully anonymous muahahha

Oops. I have responded with only cheese/Cheez it’s/cheezy dicks related puns. You know which responses are from me. Your data is no long fully anonymous muahahha
Which one? The vet one I have few enough responses that I will delete yours. The owner one I have 1400 responses and I will ignore yours, as well as ignore the couple other, hateful trolls. :cryi:

Which one? The vet one I have few enough responses that I will delete yours. The owner one I have 1400 responses and I will ignore yours, as well as ignore the couple other, hateful trolls. :cryi:
No screenshots or the particularly bad ones?

Joking eggo.

We have to do a senior paper here before we graduate related to vet med. I'm not sure 100% specifics yet, but I'm thinking something along the lines of how vet schools perhaps or VMCAS or someone idk who specifically, but point being how can we can do a better job at reaching prevets who have been admitted to vet school in understanding the debt load before they accept a seat. My group was having this discussion and one of the people in my group almost went OOS and they were saying like how they understood but didn't really understand the impact of the student loans while in school-like the interest and what that extra 10k really meant as they now see it piling up and the emails and notifications you get at the beginning/end of a semester when you take out more loans. Anyway just like throwing that out there for discussion

Reactions: 1 users