The Watering Hole (social)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 users
So this week I learned of the phrase "cream puff" in the used car world, which basically means a car that someone is selling that they took really really good care of and they won't sell it to just anybody, they want to sell it to somebody who's going to continue to take good care of it. So to use an example, when I was 16 and my mom bought me my first car, it was a cream puff. And I very nearly bought another cream puff just now but I think I missed it. Saw one 30 minutes after it was posted to craigslist and texted the owner but it's been 20 minutes and they haven't gotten back to me. :( Very very similar to my car, four model years newer with 100k fewer miles because the primary driver was an elderly woman. Under $10k. Dude probably had 10 offers in 10 minutes.

So this week I learned of the phrase "cream puff" in the used car world, which basically means a car that someone is selling that they took really really good care of and they won't sell it to just anybody, they want to sell it to somebody who's going to continue to take good care of it. So to use an example, when I was 16 and my mom bought me my first car, it was a cream puff. And I very nearly bought another cream puff just now but I think I missed it. Saw one 30 minutes after it was posted to craigslist and texted the owner but it's been 20 minutes and they haven't gotten back to me. :( Very very similar to my car, four model years newer with 100k fewer miles because the primary driver was an elderly woman. Under $10k. Dude probably had 10 offers in 10 minutes.
Not gonna lie, I devoured Greg Macke's website and all his videos (even paid whatever it cost for the premium stuff), and it helped a bit. I also bought his "Paint Spy" tool that helps determine whether a vehicle has been in an accident and had body work done (Bondo has different magnetic properties than actual factory paint) and the owner is lying. I liked his list of Interference and Non-interference engines, Halo List of reliable used vehicles, Pitchfork List of vehicles to avoid, and some of his videos/articles on dos and don'ts on communication and negotiation. Including how to buy from Craigslist and determine illegal curbsellers and dealers posing as private sellers, etc. Trying not to sound like a shill for him, but I learned a lot since I'm new to the process.

ChrisFix on YouTube has a series of videos on how to inspect a vehicle... exterior, interior, engine, and test drive:

ChrisFix also has a PDF of his "Used Car Inspection Checklist". I totally downloaded it for hoarding purposes in case it goes away someday, and I printed out a bunch of these checklists and brought them with me on a clipboard when looking at vehicles. Same with the Paint Spy tool to inspect for liars, a flashlight to help inspect underneath and into crevices, and a Craftsman telescopic tool with a mirror on the end so I can inspect underneath the vehicle to check for rust/leaks/etc. And my cell phone to take a ton of pics of the engine/odometer, interior, etc and maybe to record the conversation if it's legal to do so.

OH! Duh, I also bought a $25 Bluetooth OBD-II scanner on Amazon that connects to an app on my phone (I use Torque Pro) and I can see if there's reset CEL (Check Engine Lights) and any fault codes in the engine, ABS system, transmission, emissions, etc. Basically to evaluate the overall vehicle health + see if the seller is lying to me. In hindsight, I'd rather buy a $40-120 unit that has its own screen now -- they're getting much cheaper, and it's a PITA to hook it up to my phone honestly. And the newer ones do ABS and Emissions tests better. And there's $50 devices that test the battery and especially the alternator's health.

Scotty Kilmer and Eric the Car Guy have a ton of good content on YouTube as well, including DIY inspections.

Sorry if this is unsolicited information overload. I'm a TOTAL noob to buying and inspecting used vehicles, but I was heavily in the market last Fall so the above are some of the resources I used just to soak up all that knowledge. Hope any of this helps! There's SO MANY liars and cheats in this business, be it private sellers to slimy, SLIMY used care salespeople. *barf*

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Update: The unlikely is not impossible! Can't get it registered until Tuesday unfortunately so I still don't "have" a car until then. But still!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Super risky maneuver: I’m going to be watching Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron on rabbit in like an hour. Apparently it came out 17 years and 2 days ago, and I missed it.

I know that this movie requires much planning to watch, or unending complaining persists, so I’m giving y’all an hour heads up.

Tagging everyone I know used to complain if Spirit was missed/ rabbiters I know.

@SkiOtter @WildZoo @TheGirlWithTheFernTattoo @Trilt @LyraGardenia @finnickthedog @vetmedhead @Caiter92 @PippyPony @kcoughli @DVMDream and others

• Angry
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Super risky maneuver: I’m going to be watching Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron on rabbit in like an hour. Apparently it came out 17 years and 2 days ago, and I missed it.

I know that this movie requires much planning to watch, or unending complaining persists, so I’m giving y’all an hour heads up.

Tagging everyone I know used to complain if Spirit was missed/ rabbiters I know.

@SkiOtter @WildZoo @TheGirlWithTheFernTattoo @Trilt @LyraGardenia @finnickthedog @vetmedhead @Caiter92 @PippyPony @kcoughli @DVMDream and others
Rude I am not home. Rude rude rude. Always watching it without me :yeahright::yeahright::yeahright::yeahright::yeahright:

Also @Miranda Senft shared it on FB so she gets blamed for needing to watch Spirit

Members don't see this ad :)

IM WORKING OVERNIGHTS RIGHT NOW
so rude

Umm... what is this Rabbit you sometimes speak of?

Umm... what is this Rabbit you sometimes speak of?
Group video streaming website. Basically, it allows you to watch videos/movies/songs/whatever along with others and also chat (text, video, audio), if you’d like.

Trilt’s excellent post explaining things: The Watering Hole (social)

It’s really quite fun. Unfortunately, I’ve not been able to join in as of late due to work things.

I love that movie and has the sads that I missed it, this weekend has been pure chaos.

IMG_3372.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
I really would just like some ice cream right now
Can I haz some? And we should share with coffee too because she wanted ice cream yesterday
Oohh I have some coffee ice cream in my freezer I’m willing to share
Coffee ice cream is the best :hungry:

A small Lawpy ranking request:

Rank the following simple ice cream flavors from most preferred to least preferred: vanilla, chocolate, coffee, mango, strawberry, green tea, cherry, blueberry, pistachio, peanut butter cup, chocolate chip, banana, rocky road

Rank the following simple ice cream flavors from most preferred to least preferred: vanilla, chocolate, coffee, mango, strawberry, green tea, cherry, blueberry, pistachio, peanut butter cup, chocolate chip, banana, rocky road
Cookies and cream, mint chip, rocky road, strawberry, chocolate chip, coffee, chocolate, vanilla, peanut butter cup, all the others because I haven't tried them but mango or cherry sound pretty good and green tea and banana sound pretty bad

Cookies and cream, mint chip, rocky road, strawberry, chocolate chip, coffee, chocolate, vanilla, peanut butter cup, all the others because I haven't tried them but mango or cherry sound pretty good and green tea and banana sound pretty bad

Oho oho! New flavors added! Why is coffee in the middle :(

Since when is "green tea" considered a simple flavor? lol

You gotts go Neopolitan.. sometimes you just gotta Mix things up (oho! see what I did there? ;) )

Chocolate and coffee..... if we're talking sorbet: mango, strawberry, banana... the rest can go to hell: green tea, cherry, blueberry, pistachio, peanut butter cup, chocolate chip, rocky road..... this flavor shouldn't even exist unless it's the actual good vanilla bean kind that haagen-dazs has: vanilla.

come at me bro.

• Love
  • Wow
Chocolate and coffee..... if we're talking sorbet: mango, strawberry, banana... the rest can go to hell: green tea, cherry, blueberry, pistachio, peanut butter cup, chocolate chip, rocky road..... this flavor shouldn't even exist unless it's the actual good vanilla bean kind that haagen-dazs has: vanilla.

come at me bro.

What about mint chip and cookies and cream??

come at me bro.
The staffy doesn't have much of a sweet tooth? :eek:

What about mint chip and cookies and cream??
Eh, we didn't have that flavor in the part of the world that I grew up in, so naaaah. Don't like the girl scout cookie version either. I do love me some samoas, though. Didn't they change the name to be more PC recently?

The staffy doesn't have much of a sweet tooth? :eek:

Ummmmm we need to go on dessert holiday -- I love me some desserts. Fat kid 5000 over here. I literally have to run/exercise everyday otherwise I would like Jabba the Hutt!! I have been developing a slight milk allergy the past few years -- not lactose because yogurt and cheese is fine... but something in the liquid portion of the milk so ice cream has sadly been on the decline.... haven't looked into it much. So it's mostly oreos and almond milk or a nice slice of flourless chocolate cake.... or I dated a chef for a few years who taught me how to make a water bath cheesecake... oh my god. Literally panty dropper it's so good. Now I want dessert :eek:

Reactions: 2 users
Eh, we didn't have that flavor in the part of the world that I grew up in, so naaaah. Don't like the girl scout cookie version either. I do love me some samoas, though. Didn't they change the name to be more PC recently?

Ummmmm we need to go on dessert holiday -- I love me some desserts. Fat kid 5000 over here. I literally have to run/exercise everyday otherwise I would like Jabba the Hutt!! I have been developing a slight milk allergy the past few years -- not lactose because yogurt and cheese is fine... but something in the liquid portion of the milk so ice cream has sadly been on the decline.... haven't looked into it much. So it's mostly oreos and almond milk or a nice slice of flourless chocolate cake.... or I dated a chef for a few years who taught me how to make a water bath cheesecake... oh my god. Literally panty dropper it's so good. Now I want dessert :eek:
What is a water bath cheesecake??

My friend and I went to several community breaking of the fast dinners this month and I learned I could eat my weight in baklava :hungry:

Samoas and caramel delights are the same thing. It just depends which manufacturing plant they get their cookies from. So no, they did not change the name.

mango, cherry (varies by brand), pistachio, banana, peanut butter cup (as long as it’s not in chocolate ice cream), vanilla, strawberry, green tea, chocolate chip, coffee. The following as are equally terrible: rocky road, blueberry, chocolate.

# is always going to be vanilla soft serve with a crunch coat if I'm going to an ice cream place...
otherwise, I like to mix it up... mint chocolate chip, chocolate, coffee, peanut butter, caramel, cookie dough... I don't really have a favorite of those haha, but I'm not super big on the fruit stuff if its not sorbet