The Watering Hole (social)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmm I can... what would the password be for? Like what’s the point lol
I think if it has a password, you don't need to let people in individually?
Mel used one the night before you hosted

Thanks for hosting btw :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I think if it has a password, you don't need to let people in individually?
Mel used one the night before you hosted

Thanks for hosting btw :D
If you uncheck “waiting room” you don’t need to let people in individually. You can have both a password AND a waiting room too which is obnoxious :laugh:

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I might be cancelling tonight’s zoom party... super sorry guys! My last final’s time window got pushed to this evening and I don’t think I’ll be done by the time I scheduled it to start! See you all tomorrow night!

Reactions: 4 users
I might be cancelling tonight’s zoom party... super sorry guys! My last final’s time window got pushed to this evening and I don’t think I’ll be done by the time I scheduled it to start! See you all tomorrow night!
Good luck!! You got this :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
If someone could please tag me for cards against humanity/zoom stuff when they happen that would be great!! Unless you don't want me there, then don't, that's fine too :laugh:

I work second shift so I usually can't come to stuff but if I happen to be around I'd love to join :)

Reactions: 2 users
@Melchizedek @grebes4lyfe @finnickthedog @CoffeeQuestionMark @Animal Midwife @whoever When is cards against humanity tonight? 9pm? Need to make that happen

Anyone lurking or hesitant to join us because of privacy reasons, you don't have to be on zoom to play CAH.

Website is called playingcard.io and you go down and click on "remote insensitivity" Once the first person does it, they share the link they have to other players.

I have an exam Monday so I might come lurk while studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Meeting ID: 98340960786
Password: PM/Snapchat me.

Cuz @alissa seems to not be around.

Thank you all!!! :love:

I couldn’t resist lol
5E9BF04B-CA2F-450B-B988-E104C9EEB6D7.jpeg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
I agree btw. You said a potentially inflammatory statement and then just bitched and acted offended when someone gave a detailed response on the differences. You're better than that Mel. :)
Moving this here so not to further derail the covid thread.
I resent that you say I bitched because there was level-headed discourse on either side until MB showed up and started off her post with insults.
You're right I AM better than that, so I refuse to engage with her (or anyone for that matter) that can't be civil in discussion.

I resent that you say I bitched because there was level-headed discourse on either side until MB showed up and started off her post with insults.
You're right I AM better than that, so I refuse to engage with her (or anyone for that matter) that can't be civil in discussion.
I think some people are missing your point. Many other people came in before her and made similar points, which were well-received. The other 85% of her comment to you was well-written, contained a lot of salient points, and offered a good perspective. But when you start off a comment by ****ting on someone, can you expect them to just sort of take it lightly? I’ve had the exact same issue and have verbalized that I didn’t think it was appropriate, and people just sort of ignored it.

@Melchizedek (this isn't meant to come off as aggressive but I know tone is hard to read on forums so I'm prefacing that here lol) but what was your goal/the point of the comment you made initially? Just from reading it in regards to the rest of the conversation, it really came from out of nowhere and was an inflammatory statement, which you even noted when you posted it. I know you said that one reason was because of comments like "real doctors treat more than one species!" etc., but there had been no mention of any of that recently on the thread before you posted your comment, just afterwards. I was really thrown off when I read it because I didn't see anything leading up to that comment that really incited it, but I'm curious to know what you had been thinking.

@Melchizedek (this isn't meant to come off as aggressive but I know tone is hard to read on forums so I'm prefacing that here lol) but what was your goal/the point of the comment you made initially? Just from reading it in regards to the rest of the conversation, it really came from out of nowhere and was an inflammatory statement, which you even noted when you posted it. I know you said that one reason was because of comments like "real doctors treat more than one species!" etc., but there had been no mention of any of that recently on the thread before you posted your comment, just afterwards. I was really thrown off when I read it because I didn't see anything leading up to that comment that really incited it, but I'm curious to know what you had been thinking.
The conversation at the time revolved around grading and assessment of clinical years. I learned information about the vet school process that I didn't know about, and was making a general comment and expressing my thought about the difficulties that med students go through that vet students may or may not have been aware of. I knew it would possibly be inflammatory because of the "real doctors treat more than one species" from veterinarians and the "human doctors are better than veterinarians" from human doctors attitudes that seems to underlie a lot of these conversations to begin with. You'll notice not once did I denigrate the veterinary profession.

And inflammatory as my post may have been, there were a number of people that disagreed, asked questions to clarify, or otherwise furthered the discussion without resorting to insults. That is the kind of conversation I enjoy.

This attitude that Human physicians (especially MD's) have big ego's is getting old. We're bombarded with it from EVERY healthcare profession. NP's/PA's/CRNA's say that MD/DO have egos and won't let them practice unsupervised. RN's (having been an RN myself) complain that MD/DO's don't care enough and don't see their patients at the bedside enough. MD's get **** on by their own DO counterparts as having big egos because MD's are chosen for more competitive specialties.

The only other role I really know about well is nurses because I was one, and even they aren't attacked on ALL sides like this. Its divisive and I'm not going to apologize for starting discussion to understand where this is all coming from.

And what you call "level headed" discussion I just see as not calling out a rather out of nowhere, borderline offensively phrased comment that even you noted ahead of time might get things thrown at you for.

Then as soon as someone goes, "hold up, wtf are you on about and what were you intending from this?" you're suddenly unwilling to read a post because it wasn't delicately stated and you *really, really* care about being perfectly on topic in a thread on SDN for the first time ever.

Nah bruh. You had a brief moment of being one of *those* med students who think we give a single **** which (utterly uncomparable due to allll the stuff @Minnerbelle detailed nicely) degree process/career is harder. Then when someone actually called you out on it you didn't like that. :p

• Okay...
And what you call "level headed" discussion I just see as not calling out a rather out of nowhere, borderline offensively phrased comment that even you noted ahead of time might get things thrown at you for.

Then as soon as someone goes, "hold up, wtf are you on about and what were you intending from this?" you're suddenly unwilling to read a post because it wasn't delicately stated and you *really, really* care about being perfectly on topic in a thread on SDN for the first time ever.

Nah bruh. You had a brief moment of being one of *those* med students who think we give a single **** which (utterly uncomparable due to allll the stuff @Minnerbelle detailed nicely) degree process/career is harder. Then when someone actually called you out on it you didn't like that. :p
Okay cool, go ahead and tell me what I think :rolleyes:
You know I have an exam tomorrow and am studying my bad if I haven't created a whole new thread yet to discuss that, but be sure it's coming when I have more time on my hands. I care about going off topic because I'd rather that thread not turn into an SPF forum if vet students are looking there to see what updates other schools/students have had about how COVID is affecting different schools. I've actively kept the med school COVID thread from devolving into an SPF dumpster fire and will link you to that post if you'd like.

Bats, Meats, Pippy, and other vet students who texted me because they were afraid of posting on the thread and I were all able to talk about things calmly and come to the conclusion that yeah its different and med students have more gatekeeping to prove themselves, but it doesn't negate the difficulty of vet school itself.

Don't project your insecurities onto my POV. You're better than that ;)

• Okay...
This attitude that Human physicians (especially MD's) have big ego's is getting old. We're bombarded with it from EVERY healthcare profession. NP's/PA's/CRNA's say that MD/DO have egos and won't let them practice unsupervised. RN's (having been an RN myself) complain that MD/DO's don't care enough and don't see their patients at the bedside enough. MD's get **** on by their own DO counterparts as having big egos because MD's are chosen for more competitive specialties.

The only other role I really know about well is nurses because I was one, and even they aren't attacked on ALL sides like this. Its divisive and I'm not going to apologize for starting discussion to understand where this is all coming from.
I guess I just didn't see the point of the comment in terms of what was being discussed/the forum it was being discussed on because there was no mention of anything against human physicians. I think there's a good conversation to have about it, but there's also a time and a place for that and this felt abrupt. I don't think anyone's asking for an apology for starting a discussion, but by how it was brought up as it felt like it was posted just to start drama in a relatively neutral forum and that threw some people off.
Anyway, I was honestly just curious to see what had really brought it up. Good luck on your exam tomorrow!

Reactions: 3 users
Am I gonna have to hunt down eye roll emojis to help? I don’t mind of course, as I consider myself somewhat an emoji finder extraordinaire, but I like keeping my stash to myself. What were we talking about again?
scratchhead.gif
mhh
eww
breadsticks.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I guess I just didn't see the point of the comment in terms of what was being discussed/the forum it was being discussed on because there was no mention of anything against human physicians.
I am a human med student.
We were talking about grading and clinical stuff.
I had a reaction to new information that was presented to me, and I commented on it.
Immediately recognized that was not the time or place for it, and have been asking people to hold on until I can make a better place for it, or to go ahead and find that appropriate place for it and tag me there.

the attack on human physicians didn't come until minnerbelle started saying we have big egos. My second post you quoted was addressing that.

If you don't want any cross contamination of human med students voicing their thoughts and feelings in a vet forum, then sure I can respect that and I'll go **** off.

and thank you for the well wishes on the exam :)

BTW, I think frank discussions are a good thing in life. We all live in the world but view it differently based on what we know and have experience with. I will never squash discussion and only intervene if personal attack is broached. I believe we are all advanced enough to avoid the drain once we realize we‘re in the whirlpool. :)

Reactions: 3 users
I am a human med student.
We were talking about grading and clinical stuff.
I had a reaction to new information that was presented to me, and I commented on it.
Immediately recognized that was not the time or place for it, and have been asking people to hold on until I can make a better place for it, or to go ahead and find that appropriate place for it and tag me there.

the attack on human physicians didn't come until minnerbelle started saying we have big egos. My second post you quoted was addressing that.

If you don't want any cross contamination of human med students voicing their thoughts and feelings in a vet forum, then sure I can respect that and I'll go **** off.

and thank you for the well wishes on the exam :)
Maybe cbuck meant something different but reading through it, I didn't see anyone debating the value of vet school over med school. You asked a question, people answered, and then you provided a statement which yes not only derailed the topic but also put down vet school by saying med school was more rigorous. Whether or not it's true, it's about tone and timing.

The comment was unnecessary and almost seemed intended to start something. No one was looking to have a flex contest.

Last edited:
FYI, even if you make an informed decision to use Zoom despite numerous extremely outrageous (not exaggeration) vulnerabilities of deliberately using known bad protocols, modes, or practices (or lying outright such as E2EE), at least don't use the waiting room feature. It has a current unpatched security vulnerability. Like SkiOtter said, just use the password instead of the waiting room.

Full Citizen Lab write-up (moderately technical): Move Fast and Roll Your Own Crypto: A Quick Look at the Confidentiality of Zoom Meetings - The Citizen Lab

• Hmm
Anyone lurking or hesitant to join us because of privacy reasons, you don't have to be on zoom to play CAH.

Website is called playingcard.io and you go down and click on "remote insensitivity" Once the first person does it, they share the link they have to other players.

I have an exam Monday so I might come lurk while studying.
I played CAH once at a friend's game night and it was *teardrop* fun. It's been so long that I'd have a blast re-learning the game. I might be down if anyone here plays. :D

FYI, even if you make an informed decision to use Zoom despite numerous extremely outrageous (not exaggeration) vulnerabilities of deliberately using known bad protocols, modes, or practices (or lying outright such as E2EE), at least don't use the waiting room feature. It has a current unpatched security vulnerability. Like SkiOtter said, just use the password instead of the waiting room.

Full Citizen Lab write-up (moderately technical): Move Fast and Roll Your Own Crypto: A Quick Look at the Confidentiality of Zoom Meetings - The Citizen Lab
What should we do if the school is forcing us to use it? How do we protect ourselves? Or at least protect ourselves after we uninstall it?