The Watering Hole (social)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just learned one of my Pittsburgh friends committed suicide Wednesday (not super super close but more of the shock factor right now) so I may not be too talkative, but I will join in at some point.
Awww cubs I’m very sorry for your loss!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Alissa's SDN Zoom Party!!!
Time: May 22, 2020 10:30 PM America/Detroit
(perfect for joining after lynch close tonight! ;))
Join Zoom Meeting

I figured out how to disable the waiting room so hopefully that helps.

also I can't stay up SUPER late because I work tomorrow...
@SportPonies @WildZoo @BigCats @Sunbodi @capri1722 @CoffeeQuestionMark @Animal Midwife @Dr. ForgotToFlush @Melchizedek @TheGirlWithTheFernTattoo @finnickthedog @StayingPositive2017 @Eriyo @Doggo Labs @Barkley13 @grebes4lyfe @Ms Procrastinator @SARdoghandler @SkiOtter @Elkhart @WonderingStudent

@cubsrule4e this is for you since you so graciously offered me up to host
Is 10:30 in 30 minutes or an hour and 30 minutes?

Members don't see this ad :)
im throwing away the tuxedo i rented just for this alissa
i hope you're happy

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
(Pssssst Alissa, next time just set the meeting to start without the host)

Reactions: 4 users
I just learned one of my Pittsburgh friends committed suicide Wednesday (not super super close but more of the shock factor right now) so I may not be too talkative, but I will join in at some point.
I'm so sorry. I'm here if you need anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all clearly don't run on ethnic time. When she said slightly late I expected an hour :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
You never heard of brown people time? Or insert specific ethnic group name time?
I think it's funny because I think I have yet to encounter an ethnic group that doesn't have some variation of "[group name] time". Hell, I've even heard people down south refer to Southern Time.

The inverse of this is, of course, White People Time, which is 15 minutes early :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's funny because I think I have yet to encounter an ethnic group that doesn't have some variation of "[group name] time". Hell, I've even heard people down south refer to Southern Time.

The inverse of this is, of course, White People Time, which is 15 minutes early :laugh:
i'm a bad white person.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I definitely run on White People Time. During residency it drove me nuts because my residentmate was Brazilian...when you mix white people time with Brazilian time it means a lot of waiting. Or lying to them about the start time.

It makes me super anxious if I'm too early or anything later than 10 minutes early. My stress levels go through the roof if I'm running late...

Reactions: 5 users
I ideally show up like 15 minutes early then sit in my car (or equivalent hiding behavior) until I'm like 2 minutes late. Because being truly late stresses me out but being the first to show up also stresses me out. I have problems.

I ideally show up like 15 minutes early then sit in my car (or equivalent hiding behavior) until I'm like 2 minutes late. Because being truly late stresses me out but being the first to show up also stresses me out. I have problems.
Stress is fun, ain’t it? I think we as humans have truly developed it into an art form. Lol

Anyone a closet historian that wants to track down what newspaper clipping I just found under the siding of one of my historic buildings? As far as I can tell from the tiny pieces that are intact and frantic googling it's probably circa 1870ish and from Boston :love:

• Wow
Anyone a closet historian that wants to track down what newspaper clipping I just found under the siding of one of my historic buildings? As far as I can tell from the tiny pieces that are intact and frantic googling it's probably circa 1870ish and from Boston :love:

Follow up: anyone have a Boston public library membership that wants to search their newspaper database for me? Apparently they have all the historic papers searchable but obviously you need a membership and no Canadians allowed :oops:

• Sad
I said ethnic to be all encompassing of all cultures that are never on time :rofl:
I’m chinese but I was raised by white people so actually I just run on Alissa Time which means “i may or may not be late idk I’m chillin’”

• Haha
I run on “I’m pretty sure I have ADHD and lose track of time and then suddenly I’m an hour late unless I set five million alarms” time.

I run on “I’m pretty sure I have ADHD and lose track of time and then suddenly I’m an hour late unless I set five million alarms” time.
Omg me. I have anywhere from 10-15 blaring alarms that I choose to snooze every morning

My favorite trick is to wake up well before my alarm goes off, do some stuff, then sit down and accidentally fall asleep again. Then my “oh **** you’re late” alarm wakes me up.
Or when I get up early and then am still late because I try to do all the things at 5 am :laugh:

Last edited:
Or lying to them about the start time.
I've read of military jokes along this line. Top brass says to assemble at 0600 for something, and each lower officer, not wanting to be late, tells their command an earlier time. So an XO might say be ready by 0400, then 0300, 0200, and so on and so forth.

In the end we have a ton of troops ready by midnight waiting for 6 hours for the thing to happen.

Omg me. I have anywhere from 10-15 blaring alarms that I choose to snooze every morning
300px-Squidward%27s_Clock_Closet_2_panel.jpg

• Haha
Back in a former life, I hated showing up early or on time to casual parties. Nobody would be there, and it was standing or sitting around +/- a drink when I could be doing something productive at home. Showing up a couple hours later (at least after sunset!) and it was mucho better.

I've read of military jokes along this line. Top brass says to assemble at 0600 for something, and each lower officer, not wanting to be late, tells their command an earlier time. So an XO might say be ready by 0400, then 0300, 0200, and so on and so forth.

In the end we have a ton of troops ready by midnight waiting for 6 hours for the thing to happen.
That isn't a joke so much as an exaggeration of what actually happens.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an hour late to everything on average

You guys make me feel so much better about myself. I used to think I was late until I saw all these times. A guy I work with says if you show up on time then you're late.

Or lying to them about the start time.
My family's events neeeeeeever start on time. Everytime we have something I'm always like "What time did you tell people?!" There's always a mix of people coming to our parties and it gives me anxiety when people show up on time because that's usually way too early :rofl: :cryi:

You guys make me feel so much better about myself. I used to think I was late until I saw all these times. A guy I work with says if you show up on time then you're late.
Was that guy in the military? My military time combined with my brown people time usually end up with me exactly on time (which means I am early to family events often)

Was that guy in the military? My military time combined with my brown people time usually end up with me exactly on time (which means I am early to family events often)
No he wasn't in the military

Are we talking about sleeping through alarms? Because oh boy do I have some stories about that topic

On a related note, my friends now have a running bet about how late I will show up to something. Sometimes it's 30 seconds late... sometimes it's 3 hours late... sometimes I'm there 30 minutes before everyone else

I like to keep people guessing. It makes life exciting

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I didn't realize just how many threads I was following at once until now.

• Haha