The Web-based app saga....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanook

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone trying to use the "web-based application" for AACOMAS? Interesting, eh?

For those of you not watching, we were waiting with baited breath to try the new web-based app (ie, instead of the old disk-based one like the AMCAS still uses). It was supposed to be available June 1st.

When we logged on this morning, it was still not available. Sometime in the afternoon, a subtle change appeared on the web site. Now it read: To be available the evening of June 1st.

Then we logged on this evening, and another subtle change appeared: To be available June 2nd.

What's going on here? Technical difficulties?

Members don't see this ad.

mad.gif
I was beginning to think it was just me

Yes, isn't this frustrating?!? This is my second time around applying. I know a lot of the things I did wrong the first time (and how to fix them this time!). One was waiting too long to apply; I wanted to be one of the very first applications recieved this year!

The problem is, I have to be out of town starting tomorrow for over two weeks--I have to have my app in before that! I think I'll get a paper app filled out tomorrow just in case!

BTW, you missed one--when I logged on this morning (actually yesterday--June 1st) it said "avilable this afternoon!" You'd have thought they'd have all the bugs ironed out before now! I came home from work tonight anxious to fill out the app and ... AARRRGH!!!

Okay, thanks for letting me vent!

Members don't see this ad :)
7:41am CST - Still not available

AACOMAS On-Line (we hope to have this available by the end of today. Your patience is appreciated.)

(6:52 PDT)

Well, they've gone from "We will" to "We hope", which isn't a good sign.

It also makes me wonder if maybe we shouldn't go the web-based route b/c there might still be bugs in it after they put it up. It would be really aggravating to fill it all out and have it be glitched or even lost b/f it gets to the schools.

I'm printing out a paper-based app now. I'll give it until this evening b/f I start filling it out. If they go home for the weekend and it's still not up, I'm bringing that puppy to FedEx first thing Monday morning.

And I can't say I'll be real happy about it.

Have they totally gotten rid of the floppy disk version of the application then? I feel for you guys this has to be very frustrating. Hang in there.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Yes, they have totally ditched the disk-based application.

By the way, if any of you would like to follow the hourly updates of the "push-backs", you can find them at: http://www.aacom.org/app/application.html

And yes, it is somewhat frustrating. Although, being a computer jockey myself, I somewhat understand. My only criticism is that it's not like they didn't *know* when June 1st was.

June 5th, 10:00 am....
Hmmm. You would think that if they declared the application available on June the first, months ago, that such a specific time (10:00 am) is unlikely to be completed on time.
Toran

I have given up. I am going to the Carribean for med school.

Just do the paper application, it's so easy and relatively painless.

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited 06-03-2000).]

Allright, bets are now being taken.

Opening odds are 8:1 against the AACOM for the 10:00 am deadline.

Hey, you could make a killing if they actually do get it up!

:p

I appreciate the constructive comments and information regarding AACOMAS On-Line. As you are aware this is the initial version of AACOMAS On-Line and will require constant monitoring on our part to insure a viable, user friendly product. In fact, we have already made several adjustments that should ease the use of the web application. Of course those students who do not have access or do not wish to use AACOMAS On-Line can use the paper application which is available as a PDF file on our web site, www.aacom.org.
In regards to the concern that your credentials may be delayed or negatively impacted by this electronic submission I offer you the following. If you will contact me personally, either via e-mail or telephone (310)968-4148, I will personally guarantee the timely processing of your materials. Of course this is contingent upon timely receipt of your transcripts. We are committed to getting your materials to each school as quickly as possible and I will see that any fears or concerns you have are alleviated. We remain confident AACOMAS On-Line will be of great value to our applicants and our colleges. I appreciate your interests and patience as we move forward. If you have additional comments you can contact me directly. I welcome your input.
Robert F. Ruiz
Vice President for Application Services
American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS)
[email protected]

the best way is to open two applications of Netscape or whatever youre using and browse thru the listing under pet supplies and home furnishings while occassionaly clicking back to fill out your application. hey look, a discount on lavalamps, cool!

Hey guys, I feel for you, too. AADSAS offered a web appl. last year that was a bit slow in getting up on the site as well. I ultimately went that route since I didn't look forward to typing 1 letter per box in boxes not spaced for a typewriter. But, I came v. close to losing patience w/the web app (and I am a very patient person!) Once the web app. did come up, everything went very smoothly for me.

My feeling is that you should decide how long you want to wait (like Nanook) for the web app, and meanwhile do the paper one if it's truly not too bad so you don't waste your precious time. Good luck! Pretty nice of the AACOMAS rep to offer to help you!

(Perhaps my signature is especially appropriate in this situation?!?)

------------------
You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm filling mine out right now! (I couldn't do it last night)

I have to admit, the web-based app is definitely ahead of the curve, despite the delays. Now you can do your app on *any* computer, not just a windows machine. Personally, I'm doing mine on an Silicon Graphics o2 workstation.

Furthermore, I received a personalized e-mail from Mr. Ruiz (above), encouraging me to contact them if I have any problems. It felt nice to receive some service, especially after dealing with the AMCAS folks. I would encourage people to use the web-based one now that it's up. Typewriters will soon be extinct (thank goodness).

If that post from the AACOMAS is real (and I assume it is), I am throughly impressed. THAT my friends, is customer service defined!!! Pro-active enough to come to you (as opposed to merely posting something generic on their own site and putting the resposibility on the customer/applicant to find it).

Points of contact, a name, and a personal invitation. Score one for the applicant, and a big shout to the AACOMAS.

[This message has been edited by Sheon (edited 06-07-2000).]

hey that actually didnt take too long, i just have to decide where to apply and whether to charge it on Visa or MasterCard.

the speed picked up once i started filling out my course lists. it helps to do it in the morning too. good luck all..