The weight of the pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I present to you a theoretical situation.
Lets say you have average grades in the pre-req's. You might have a few B's in orgo, some A's and some B's in physics in chem and so on. However lets say that your science gpa is strong even after the mediocre grades in the pre-reqs, lets say you've gotten a 3.5. Would the higher science gpa superseded the pre-req grades in terms of proving competence in science classes and make up for the lower pre-req grades?

Members don't see this ad.

I present to you a theoretical situation.
Lets say you have average grades in the pre-req's. You might have a few B's in orgo, some A's and some B's in physics in chem and so on. However lets say that your science gpa is strong even after the mediocre grades in the pre-reqs, lets say you've gotten a 3.5. Would the higher science gpa superseded the pre-req grades in terms of proving competence in science classes and make up for the lower pre-req grades?

While I cannot give you a definite answer, I would say so.

I base this on the fact that there have been many recommendations to take upper division science classes beyond the prereqs anyways. Plus, the number one way people are told to raise a lower gpa is by taking upper division science classes.

So, I think it is pretty safe to assume good grades in upper division science would outweigh mediocre prereq grades. This is especially true because it would indicate an upward grade trend as well.

Edit: So I'm talking about taking upper division courses beyond prereqs. Is that what you are referring to OP? Or is it just taking other science classes in general? I think the answer would depend on that.

While I cannot give you a definite answer, I would say so.

I base this on the fact that there have been many recommendations to take upper division science classes beyond the prereqs anyways. Plus, the number one way people are told to raise a lower gpa is by taking upper division science classes.

So, I think it is pretty safe to assume good grades in upper division science would outweigh mediocre prereq grades. This is especially true because it would indicate an upward grade trend as well.

Edit: So I'm talking about taking upper division courses beyond prereqs. Is that what you are referring to OP? Or is it just taking other science classes in general? I think the answer would depend on that.

Yes, I more or less was referring to upper level courses.