The weight of volunteering at future medical school Hospital?

hellodoc

10+ Year Member
May 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Does volunteering at the hospital of the medical school you want to go to make a difference?
For example, say a student that wants to go to Johns Hopkins Medical School is volunteering at Johns Hopkins Hospital. When they are applying or at the interview would the volunteering at the schools hospital have some kind of an impact?

Any opinions?

legobikes

bikes made of lego
10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I think it would have a positive impact, unless you make a bad impression while volunteering by slacking off or not doing a good job.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
it is equal to volunteering anywhere else. Schools want geographic diversity. They won't favor those who volunteer in their own hospital over those who volunteered at hospitals elsewhere in the world. To do otherwise would thwart their desire for the best applicants wherever they may be. Volunteering at Johns Hopkins doesn't make you better than someone who volunteered at the Mass General.

About the Ads

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
hellodoc said:
Does volunteering at the hospital of the medical school you want to go to make a difference?
For example, say a student that wants to go to Johns Hopkins Medical School is volunteering at Johns Hopkins Hospital. When they are applying or at the interview would the volunteering at the schools hospital have some kind of an impact?

Any opinions?
If you want to go to Hopkins, you first need the stats for Hopkins. If you have the stats, then sure, it will help "some", but probably pretty marginal as compared to volunteering at another hospital. Hopkins is a huge place and the odds of impressing someone important in a premed volunteering job are pretty nil. Unless you are already living in Baltimore, I would just go volunteer at whatever hospital you live near.

Dr. Pepper

Duffman in Disguise
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
Behind the orange juice....
Status
Medical Student
I agree with Law and Lizzy (haha, sounds like a crime-fighting duo).

Really, the only thing you can hope for is that if you volunteer at the hospital associated with your favorite medical school, you might leave a good impression on a superior. However, the chances that you can become buddy-buddy with an adcom through volunteering are pretty minimal.

But with that said, it certainly couldn't hurt.
Best to volunteer someplace you enjoy.
-Dr. P.

Zuerst

Plutonium Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2005
Republic of Texas
Status
It might be helpful if you left a very good impression and was able to get someone from the hospital that the adcom is familiar with to write a letter for you?

mychelle774

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2006
Houston, TX
Status
Pre-Medical
But what if it was a county hospital instead of a nice, shiny private hospital whose patient base is largely medically underserved or some equally characteristic thing? I would think that schools, especially if they emphasize caring for the underserved, would appreciate that you had/sought exposure to the less "generic" areas of medicine. There ARE differences among hospitals. And that often dictates what you get to do.

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
New York
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Didn't help me any last year. I volunteered at one of the hospitals affiliated with NYU, and they still sent me a nice rejection letter.

durfen

I see plans within plans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Kaitain
Status
Resident [Any Field]
musiclink213 said:
Didn't help me any last year. I volunteered at one of the hospitals affiliated with NYU, and they still sent me a nice rejection letter.
They should send rejection letters with a refund of all application fees heh.

Dr Durden

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
The Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
mychelle774 said:
But what if it was a county hospital instead of a nice, shiny private hospital whose patient base is largely medically underserved or some equally characteristic thing? I would think that schools, especially if they emphasize caring for the underserved, would appreciate that you had/sought exposure to the less "generic" areas of medicine. There ARE differences among hospitals. And that often dictates what you get to do.
Couldn't agree more. My personal experience has been that the less wealthy hospitals put you to much better use as a volunteer, and that you actually get exposed to patients more than shall we say fetching linens and cupboard stocking. I'm not saying that the quality of health care is worse at such places, just that it's much more often an "all hands on deck" mentality than at an academic medical center.

charles82

Go ahead- make my day!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
hellodoc said:
Any opinions?

I agree with most of these posts. Furthermore, I'd say volunteering at JHU will offer you no benefit than another hospital. That said, it depends on your motivations. You mentioned JHU, possibly as a famous hospital, but then you mentioned meeting someone. I'd say the chances of you meeting someone at JHU, as a volunteer, and impressing them, and it helping you in committee are small, especially as someone mentioned, JHU is a bid premed environment.

I thought the geographic diversity comment hit it dead on. You don't want the main point or focus of your application, as you see it, to be that you volunteered at JHU. Believe me, that is not comparable to attending JHU. If I lived in Baltimore, I would choose the closest hospital. How many hundreds of students volunteer at JHU, as oppose to Union Memorial?
And having experience there, JHU is a very famous and professional hospital, so you may not be able to do as much there as somewhere else. I would check your motivations first before you answer your question. But I probably wouldn't hold out for a return on my buck to the specific school, kinda like a student adding line in their AMCAS essay in hopes of attracting a certain school...With admissions these days, and so many applicants, chances are it will either be missed, or won't help.

fullefect1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
Mass
Status
It would help if you volunteer coridinator is good with one of the admission comittee and you get to know them... or if you get to know a doctor on staff that has an impact with someone on the ADCOM or is someone on that ADCOM.

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
I've got all the connections in the world to WashU... don't think it means anything so haven't bothered to apply (until this year)

I'm throwing them a hail mary.

CTtarheel

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
It's kind of unlikely that you'll meet someone at the hospital that has any relation to the admissions committee or even the medical school. Unless you meet such a person I can't imagine that it would make any difference. I volunteered at a hospital for a school I'm applying to and don't expect it to be a factor.

About the Ads