The "What Now?" Feeling

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Yogurt the Kid, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Yogurt the Kid

7+ Year Member

Hey Guys,

I'm sure so many have you been highly proactive, creative, enthusiastic, and dedicated about your goals. Once I was accepted this year, I was elated! I didn't feel like anything would change all that much. But, I now feel less restrained, less disciplined, and searching in so many different places for some kind of satisfaction. It seems like I've personally chosen to revmove the locus of control and self-restraint. So, the results? I'm doing all my work well and stuff, but I find myself expanding in ways I didn't predict--talking to more females (more seriously), thinking about goals/ideas I previously did not allow to "penetrate" my solid routine. Overall, routine is dissolving, freedom is fun/frightening at the same time, and the struggle for balance is greater than it was before.

Yogurt

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

What in God's name are you going on about? You got into med school... just relax... take it easy for the next few months because it's going to be a rough ride come next fall.

4. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

?

5. sorry Yogurt, i just read that u had gotten accepted, then i completely lost interest!:)

but hey if u are wondering 'what now', concentrate on ur present classes if u are taking any, or plan a fun summer, it might be a long time before u get another, either way congrats on ur acceptance!

6. Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member

actually, I think I can undestand what Yoghurt is trying to say. When we are applying to medical school, that is our main focus. we don't think about things other than trying to get in. once we DO get in, the freedom can be quite frightening...because now that you have the career part of your life "settled" (you know you are going to be a doc), you seek elsewhere for more satisfaction. Yoghurt may be trying to talk to females more seriously because he may not have indulged himself in those pleasures before. He may be thinking "what now?" right now because there is still so much time left before med school starts....that he is probably seeking another goal for comfort. In other words, it's only human nature to want to have more..more and more...of something. Once a goal is accomplished, we (the go-getter types) tend not to sit back and relax. We move on to the next goal. Perhaps Yoghurt is trying to figure out subconciously what his next goal can be? Perhaps a soul mate? Perhaps emotional fulfillment? Who knows what that will be.

I think what you are going through is very normal and natural. I can empathize. Now, if only I could "really" be able to put myself in your shoes and get that ONE acceptance. :(

7. zama

zama Member
    7+ Year Member

Well put. I have two acceptances and now I don't know what to do. My studying has gone down and I am pretty much goofing around. Which is good and bad. I guess I have moved towards getting in better physical shape. Yogurt, I would try to find another hobby or try to continue something that you dropped off because of this horendous process of applying to medical school.

8. DoubleDoctor

DoubleDoctor Ceder Dog's Daddy
    7+ Year Member

I was accepted in September and I only wish I had this feeling of freedom. I actually expected that I would be so relieved and be able to totally enjoy the next few months without pressure but it has been the exact opposite for me. I know I have been accepted at my first choice for med school but I really want to do the MSTP and they aren't interviewing for that until next month.

I think the other thing that is messing with my head is that I'm already doing full-time research at the med school I will be attending and my research responsibilities are great and I'm getting ready to publish so I have that added stress.

Plus, if the truth be told, I'm getting pretty tired of being the whipping boy for the lab, (I'm the only undergrad student but I've been there for several months and now have a lot of my own responsibilites but the grad students expect me to do all the scut work like making up solutions, ordering, etc. and it is interferring with what I have to get accomplished). I guess I have always been a very responsible person and can not imagine that someone in grad school ( I mean they are working toward a professional degree) will actually hold off on doing part of their research because they refuse to make up some minimal media. I have worked the last four weekends in a row and none of them put in that kind of time but then they have the audacity to b*tch that I'm getting paid a whooping $8.00/hr and they could get someone for free. I can't wait until this phase is over and I'm totally doing my own research because this micro management is driving me crazy.

I'm hoping after the MSTP interviews and acceptances that things will finally calm down and I'll feel some of this freedom. I would really like to have a few stress free months before med school.

Thanks for letting me vent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!