The Whole American Medical School Dreaml

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gc1983

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im a freshman studying in prague and i would like to know the basic structure that you guy in the usa follow after graduating from medschool-such as residencies etc. Also could you tell me the likelihood of me being able to do some of my clinical rotations in the Us or other exchange type programs . Lastly, whats the deal with the USMLE...ive heard that you only get one chance at each test and thats its kep on record..please clarify these doubts

many thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

After graduating from medical school, you start your internship. The internship is pretty much just the first year of residency. Then you complete the rest of your residency, and maybe move on to a fellowship.

You should be able to do clinical rotations in the US, just research schools and communicate with them directly, unless your school has some sort of direct exchange program.

The USMLE - I think you get three chances (someone correct me if I'm wrong) with each step. But the marks are recorded, so that residency programs can see the results of each time you took it. There's 3 steps - Step 1 and 2 are taken before residency, during medical school years. You also need to complete the TOEFL, and lastly the CSA. After you get into a program, I think then you also have to take Step 3. I'm a little bit unclear myself. Go to www.ecfmg.org for more information (the governing body for foreign med grads)

hey there. i am also in prague, and i have arranged some rotations in the states. drop me a pm and we can chat about what is gonig on. which faculty are you?

also, as for the usmle, i think you can take it a lot, like 7 times. however, certain states have limits as to how many attempts are cool for licensing. just pass the first time, and you will have no problems, right?;)

good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to go nutty, look at the "Green Book" regarding USMLE and licensure...

Every (and I mean EVERY) state is different. Some allow unlimited takes. In Texas (I think), you fail any one step 3 times, you are PERMANENTLY barred from ever getting licensed there.

There's even some way that, in Oklahoma, you can get licensed without ever taking even one Step. It's weird, but possible.

The "Green Book" lists every residency program in the country, who's new, who's on probation, and a lot on licensing.

However...as always...

If you have any questions, you should contact each state medical board individually. The Federation of State Medical Boards, in Euless, TX, has contact information for each one. You can reach them here.

Hey Neil,

I'm really interested as to how you arranged ur (core?) or any rotations in the states. So, any info (any at all) would greatly enlighten me.
:eek: