the whole summer class deal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buggati

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if we apply to med schools in like early july and take summer classes after how would you let the med schools know about your changed GPA? My science GPA is not so hot so i m planning to take summer classes but before the grades come in hopefully i will be done with my application. Also, is it advisable to take science classes at a community college right before senior year or should i just take them at my university?

Members don't see this ad.

You send the schools an "update letter" with your new grades. They add it to your file.

It's best to take the class at your University, but if you're going to be home for the summer taking it at a CC won't be a big deal. Chances are your update letter won't tell them what school you took the course at, only what your spectacular grade was. They'll find out when the transcript arrives after your acceptance.

i was wondering if we apply to med schools in like early july and take summer classes after how would you let the med schools know about your changed GPA? My science GPA is not so hot so i m planning to take summer classes but before the grades come in hopefully i will be done with my application. Also, is it advisable to take science classes at a community college right before senior year or should i just take them at my university?

I would actually advise away from the community college in such a case. Certainly some schools are more receptive to these than others. But, IMHO, in the instance where you are looking to pull up your science GPA, some higher than your normal scores at a community college after struggling in sciences at your home school simply looks too transparently like you are shopping for an easier forum. It thus somewhat undermines the notion that you are able to handle the harder science load of med school based on your latest grades, if you have to go outside of your college to an objectively less competitive school to prevail. You are better off puffing up your grades with courses at a comparably competitive place.

Members don't see this ad :)
You send the schools an "update letter" with your new grades. They add it to your file.

Sending them an updated official transcript should work fine as well. And about summer classes...I have been told that as long as they aren't the pre-med requirements, then it should be fine. Of course, its better that all your classes should be taken at your undergrad institution, but since this is not always realistic (ie cheaper at CC's) it should pose no problem to you as long as you do well.

what if i try to take the classes at another university close to home?

what if i try to take the classes at another university close to home?

I don't see a problem with that if you are an out-of-state student. I don't think it would be fair of them to penalize you for trying to get ahead while you are home in this instance. I'm assuming its probably way too far for you to consider commuting to class from home (I'm from NY and went to school in MD, so I hear you), so that can always be explained.