Redoxify

7+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
It's 72 degrees in Chapel Hill. Cloudless, sunny day. Gorgeous girls running outside, friends playing frisbee and football, human beings covering every square inch of the quad.

Where am I?

5th floor library, cooped up in dark corner, away from all windows. It even smells bad here.

Dear MCAT,
I hate you and what you've done to me. Once I'm done with you, you'll apologize to me profusely for ever showing me your face. Be gone, sir. My fist is like a strong nucleophile and your face is an electrophile. I'm gonna SN2 you so quick, your leaving group's still gonna be attached.

Owned.

Love,
An angry/anxious MCATer

P.S. All those taking the MCAT on March 27th, in 8 days, we'll be able to return to normalcy.

Jul 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
It's 72 degrees in Chapel Hill. Cloudless, sunny day. Gorgeous girls running outside, friends playing frisbee and football, human beings covering every square inch of the quad.

Where am I?

5th floor library, cooped up in dark corner, away from all windows. It even smells bad here.

Dear MCAT,
I hate you and what you've done to me. Once I'm done with you, you'll apologize to me profusely for ever showing me your face. Be gone, sir. My fist is like a strong nucleophile and your face is an electrophile. I'm gonna SN2 you so quick, your leaving group's still gonna be attached.

Owned.

Love,
An angry/anxious MCATer

P.S. All those taking the MCAT on March 27th, in 8 days, we'll be able to return to normalcy.

dude are you in davis? i'm studying on the 6th floor. I HATE THIS!

cliffhuxtableDO

Hand sanitizer on deck
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student

Where am I?

Dear MCAT,

Owned.

Love,
An angry/anxious MCATer

dude are you in davis? i'm studying on the 6th floor. I HATE THIS!
silly tarholes.

MegaSpectacular

Removed
Dec 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

Where am I?

Dear MCAT,

Owned.

Love,
An angry/anxious MCATer

Hopefully this isn't your attitude towards studying or you have hell to look forward to in the next 10 years.

People work hard. Life isn't about playing around in the sun 50 hrs a week. Play time is only satisfying after putting in quality work.:):)

good luck!

luckyducky87

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'm guessing my mind won't be so "normal" till "8 days + a month" when our score comes out. Ahhhhh :(

DrDre2001

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2008
Status
I'm pretty sure those people out there playing frisbee had work or class earlier in the day.

Also you can, and should, take some breaks in the days leading up to the MCAT. In the week before mine, I went to two baseball games and kicked back a lot at home and played basketball at the local gym. I studied 5-6 hours a day and that was fine.

traitorman

7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
your Sn2 must be pretty weak then if the leaving group is still there.

Dial71

10+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2008
Status
Medical Student
About three months ago, I was exactly where you where--about a week away from taking the MCAT--and I snapped. I just couldn't study any more. Instead, I started watching Venture Brothers online and finished season one that week (followed by two, three, and four--hence the avatar).

However, if your MCAT experience is anything like mine, the real anxiety will begin when you hit submit on March 27th.

That said, keep your eye on the ball. Good luck!

Last edited:

Dial71

10+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hopefully this isn't your attitude towards studying or you have hell to look forward to in the next 10 years.

People work hard. Life isn't about playing around in the sun 50 hrs a week. Play time is only satisfying after putting in quality work.:):)

good luck!
Really, man? Give the dude some slack!

MegaSpectacular

Removed
Dec 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Really, man? Give the dude some slack!
Its just that the MCAT is probably the easiest part (in terms of content/difficulty) compared to the next 10 years.

The attitude that everyone else is having a ball while medical people struggle baffles me. Yes, some people do nothing with their lives, but most people work hard 40-50+ hrs a week.

Studying for school and the MCAT doesn't require over 50 hrs a week, it it does it is time management time.

luckyducky87

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Eh. I think it depends. I've been working 50+ hours a week in a research lab and trying to study for the MCAT on top of that. Coming home at the end of a long day and trying to sit down and study... it's been rough.

And I don't know. I have a few friends in med school who still compare their pharm exams and such to the MCAT when their exams are ridiculous... because they thought the MCAT was that ridiculous. Of course these are people who haven't taken their boards yet! When I talk about the MCAT to a few who are studying for the boards, they shush me, and I understand that :)

For me, part of the big stress comes from the fact that admissions seem to give heavy weight on the MCAT (or at least you really shouldn't have a terrible score) for me to even get into med school. Unlike when you're already in med school, I still have a big uncertainty as to whether I'll get into med school or not, and I feel like MCAT plays a big role in determining my future (this is mainly because the rest of my application is fixed; I can't do much about them now).

Maybe in retrospect, the MCAT wouldn't seem so bad. I have a few med school friends who say that they just get used to studying volumes and volumes of info over time. But when you're not used to that yet, I think the amount you have to know for the MCAT (or, this scientific intuition I seem to need to develop in the next 7 days) can be intimidating.

Rawwr. I don't know. Just stressed about the MCAT in a week, and venting here!

Redoxify

7+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student

good luck!
I think I'll be ok. The frustration just came out today, in particular, cause it was the first really nice day of the spring. Thanks for the advice though.

:)

P.S. I shared my sentiments/whining on SDN because it's filled with anxiety-ridden people who study hard and work hard. I don't think it's a crime to be frustrated once in a while. I also don't think it reflects my global state of mind. Kinda like instantaneous mindset is frustrated, but AVERAGE mindset is driven/focused. And trust me, I'm intensely proud that I CAN say no to the temptations and buckle down.

Redoxify

7+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
yeah yeah this is what happens when you try to create an analogy using orgo concepts following a Kaplan FL 10. Hardest test i've taken so far.

badmintondr

5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Lol I agree with you kinda! Spring break's out! Everyone's partying and enjoying vacation! And I'm here studying MCAT while everyone constantly tests my devotedness while asking me to go play. =( It's ok though, study hard! Rawr test in 2 months and 2 days. So scared =(

MegaSpectacular

Removed
Dec 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I think I'll be ok. The frustration just came out today, in particular, cause it was the first really nice day of the spring. Thanks for the advice though.

:)

P.S. I shared my sentiments/whining on SDN because it's filled with anxiety-ridden people who study hard and work hard. I don't think it's a crime to be frustrated once in a while. I also don't think it reflects my global state of mind. Kinda like instantaneous mindset is frustrated, but AVERAGE mindset is driven/focused. And trust me, I'm intensely proud that I CAN say no to the temptations and buckle down.
agree 100%. Frustrated and small incident is much different from habitual attitude.

Good luck!:)

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Dear MCAT,
So... wait, you're going to attack it from the backside? Oh my!

Redoxify

7+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I freaking love backside attacks. Nothing like making something optically active. Straight up SN2ed.

;-)

Ahsan

MCAT SLAYER
Dec 22, 2009
Status
lol I have always encouraged the enthusiasm for the MCAT but you dont think we are getting to "excited?"

g8orlife

chomp
7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2009
A quagmire
Status
Resident [Any Field]
lol I have always encouraged the enthusiasm for the MCAT but you dont think we are getting too "excited?"
Boy oh boy, all this talk has gotten me so hot and "excited" that when I finally do decide to relax ... I'll be emitting photons in the UV region.

Ahsan

MCAT SLAYER
Dec 22, 2009
Status
ROFL!!! LITERALLY!!!

haha! Pure genius!! ^_^

Esteban

10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student