Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

The worst day of my life

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Back34, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Back34

Back34 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. siri

siri Junior Member

i think you should try to find a job in medicine-related fields. even though you think you don't have a degree that you can use, you could still find a decent job. for example, you can work at a pharmacy as a pharmacy technician, for which you don't need a degree and you can get on-the-job training. like at CVS pharmacy, you can get on-the-job training and a good salary (from starting as well). these kinda jobs might be helpful if you are still interested in science, but don't want to stay in medicine school. so you don't have to abandon your interest in science completely. who knows after you work a while, you could apply to a pharmacy school or go back to medical school.

on the other hand, if you are not interested in medicine at all, you could work part-time somewhere and get a masters degree that you can use, e.g. MBA.

(if you live in the wash.d.c. area, i might be helpful regarding the pharmacy job. PM me if you are interested)

good luck :)

4. drdaizy

drdaizy Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Having had some similar feelings during med school, I was wondering if you would mind elaborating on exactly what led you to your decision. What year of school are you in? Is it med school as a whole that has left you feeling miserable and unsatisfied, or are other things going on in your life that might have influenced your decision? Have you spoken with anyone within your school about your decision? It's tough, so tough; especially during the first couple of years when it feels like what you're doing is so distant from what you WANT to do. If you have absolutely decided that medicine is not what you want at this point, that is a very brave thing to do. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There are other options for you out there as siri mentioned. There is always the option of returning to med school as well once you leave, or choosing another path such as pharmacy, etc. Whatever you choose, I do wish you the best of luck.

drdaizy, MS3

5. SomeFakeName

SomeFakeName Membership Revoked
    Removed

Back34, I know it feels as if you've lost your grounding by leaving medicine, but I can only say that you will probably look back on it one day and not be bothered by the decision you made. Lots of people desperately want to get the heck out of med school. Besides, you stated you were miserable being there, and a medical degree is not worth it if you're going to be miserable.

As far a the future is concerned, that is all up to you and what your interests are. If you're in need of some cash for the short-term, you can check out labs that need reseach assistants and even apply to be a teacher's assistant at the same university. I was a TA before med school and got paid $3,000 for each class I was a TA for and all I had to do was run 2 tutorials a week for each class (1 hour each) and grade exams...that was it!! You can definetly TA about 4 undergrad classes per semester or quarter and pull in 24-30K per year...and it's so little work, no joke! Plus you have time to get another job on top of it if you wish.

In the long run, you can always look into PhD programs in fields that interest you. Keep us updated on what you think you'd like to do and I'm sure people will offer advice.

6. Kovox

Kovox Going Places
    7+ Year Member

Hi Back:

I suggest that you speak with your school counselor to see if that would helpand if your school allows, take some time off or rather spread your years out. Perhaps you are just burnt out and need a break?

On the otherhand, if you are truly disatified with medical school, there are other options like previously mentioned (pharm school, MBA, PHD, teacher).

I don't think you should say it's the worst day of your life but rather one of the better days cuz:

Would you rather spend your life doing something you dislike and hence be unhappy or would you rather learn something you're interested in and be happy. If you like another field, then go train in it...training 4 years in something you love is better than spending the rest of your life doing something you hate.

If you need someone to talk to you can PM me. Eventhough I am just applying I know a lot of people who are in your position.

Good Luck with everything. Everything might not turn out for the best but it does however, turn out OKAY.

:D

7. Back34

Back34 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I appreciate all of the support guys on a rotten day like this.

I actually started med school last year, had some difficulties, took a leave of absence, then came on back. Unfortunately (or fortunatley) it still isn't working out and that's how I came to my decision.

Siri, I PM'd you regarding the offer. Thanks

8. DoubleDoctor

DoubleDoctor Ceder Dog's Daddy
    7+ Year Member

What exactly isn't working out? I don't think you have given it enough thought because you haven't even gotten to the point where you experience what being a doctor is like. Right now you are a full time student just like in college. I totally agree about talking to someone because there has to be more to your decision that you aren't telling us. That being said, no one should pursue something they hate but really look at what is motivating you to this decision because you obviously wanted this pretty badly (you even came back after a LOA). Good Luck with any decision you make.

9. secretwave101

secretwave101 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It sounds like the decision is already made. But if not, you might consider this:

From everything I've seen, medical school - especially the 1st two years - is very different from the typical job of being a doctor. After these years, you will NEVER sit anywhere for endless hours staring at the same thing.

So if you don't like school now, there's every chance you'll like being a doctor. You won't know until you try, and you'll need to get your degree to do that. But if you finish, and still don't want to be a doc, your MD degree is still very useful.

There are good reasons for not finishing school. Just make sure you have one before you actually "do the deed", or you'll regret it forever.

I worked for a few years before going to school, and the corporate world was boring and so underchallenging, esp bec I only had a bachelor's deg. Then I looked at my manager - the classic "middle manager" - and thought "after 10 years, if I'm really good, I'll get THAT cubicle and do THAT job? Forget it." I don't like much of school, but it sure is better than the corporate rung.

Hope it works out for you.

10. thaibonick

thaibonick New Member

I was in a situation somewhat similar to yours. I withdrew from Med school weeks before I was supposed to attend. Didn't know what to do afterwards and wasn't sure what I could use my degree towards. I ended up getting a job as a tech in big pharma and it's been good so far. My job is relatively easy, the science is interesting(although very repetitive), the benefits are good, no stress, and there are a number of jobs that I can transition into after some more school and/or networking. Many companies will pay for pharmacy, law, and B-school. I've met one person who got the company to pay for med school.
    Overall it's a good place to get some experience in the working world while you figure things out. I highly recommend it.