The Yale System? and PBL vs. lecture based?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oceans412

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting confused trying to figure out which kind of curriculum is going to be the best fit for me. The schools that I am choosing between are very different: Hopkins, Columbia, and Yale (and a wait-list at HMS). I am very thankful to have such wonderful options, but I am really agonizing over the decision and I'd appreciate any advice that anyone might want to offer. My big question is: How do you know where you will be happiest? What kind of person does better with PBL versus lecture-based? Would anyone like to share their thoughts on the Yale System (including the req'd thesis at the end which is kind of intimidating...)? Is there any medical school where students are notoriously happy? Sorry for the length of this post!

Members don't see this ad.

oceans412 said:
I'm getting confused trying to figure out which kind of curriculum is going to be the best fit for me. The schools that I am choosing between are very different: Hopkins, Columbia, and Yale (and a wait-list at HMS). I am very thankful to have such wonderful options, but I am really agonizing over the decision and I'd appreciate any advice that anyone might want to offer. My big question is: How do you know where you will be happiest? What kind of person does better with PBL versus lecture-based? Would anyone like to share their thoughts on the Yale System (including the req'd thesis at the end which is kind of intimidating...)? Is there any medical school where students are notoriously happy? Sorry for the length of this post!

I think Columbia and Hopkins have much more structured curricula, less flexibility, and overall more stress. I don't mean to put this off as a bad thing, because it will keep you on track and you might learn more if that's a better fit for you overall. Columbia seems to have great and supportive students, but they seem very busy and somewhat stressed. I think that Yale has the happiest students out of the three schools, which seems to be a natural result of how they structure their curriculum. Hopkins seemed very intense.... But anyway, good luck with the picks, you can't go wrong!(unless you choose Hopkins)

oceans412 said:

Here's a question for you: have you taken any PBL classes during undergrad?

The best piece of advice that I've gotten from a MS1 is to not change your study style just because you're in medical school. You probably have a good system already down, especially considering the caliber of schools you are choosing from, so don't radically change what already works. If most of your classes have been lecture-based and you've done well in them, then I would say go with that. If you already know that you like and do well with PBL, then try that options. If you haven't taken a PBL class but are curious about the system, try asking the school whether you can take some PBL classes even if your choice of curriculum is lecture-based. But I would strongly caution against going PBL if you don't know what you're getting into. It works for certain people, but not all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Yale 2nd year staring down the barrel of Step 1, so if you were ever going to get a fair assessment out of me, this would be the time.

Whether you're going to be happy or not is really up to you, but Yale does have a lot of really happy kids. The trade off is that at times you'll be stressed because you've been happy for way longer than med students are supposed to be. If you can rely on yourself, Yale is the way to go. Seriously, I've gone months at a time w/o going to class, and a couple of weeks w/o even reading. But when I study I buckle down hard, I've got nothing else to do w/o class, right? So I'd have to say I'm pretty happy, I've persued a bunch of things outside of class that I wouldn't have been able to elsewhere.

Even with the boards looming, I;m still happy because at least I know I've done things my way up till now. I studied the way I thought was best for me, with the books I thought best suited me - not what my school told me to do. I did things on my schedule, w/ my timeline, in my order. It would be nice to know what to know where I stand relative to my class so I know what kind of shape I'm in going into the boards, but I don't think that that would have been worth competing against my classmates for.

If you get freaked out without people telling you exactly what to do, go PBL. If you want it half n' half, go lecture based. Actually that prob isn't a fair assessment because w/ PBL you have to go out and do a bunch of reading on your own, but still. And if you're pretty independent, go to Yale. You really only stress when you want, and can go through the first two years w/o ever feeling uncomfortable or overwhelmed. Just get everything done before the boards, study hard for em, and you'll be in great shape. Hope this helps.

I think it comes down to how YOU like to learn. I know personally that I like to hear things so I want to go to a lecture based school. Some people are just the oppisite. Congrats on the great choices.