1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

theories on why Tufts accepts >50% interviewees.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dirtyone, Feb 25, 2002.

1. dirtyone

dirtyone Member
    7+ Year Member

is it because the school is so damn expensive that fewer people enroll? (budget 60k)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. otter

otter Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That's because they only grant interviews to 10-15% of the applicants. They do even more of the weeding out pre-interview than do most other schools.

4. johnM

johnM Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

According to US News, in 2000 Tufts had 5,513 applications, interviewed 811 for 168 spots, but actually accepted 460 (you're right, over 50%). This seems like it is because many people who are accepted don't go there for one reason or another. Personally, it would be pretty low on my list because of cost, so if I were accepted somewhere else, I would likely turn down Tufts. Tufts is a good school, but not that good. :)

5. As a Tufts student; I think there are two main factors, 1)cost-in fact, tom slavin tells people to GO to their state schools if they get in because the cost here sucks, and 2)the quality of applicants they interview: when I interviewed at Tufts almost all of the interviewees came from high-profile private or Ivy League schools and I didn't see this as much at other schools. Therefore, many of these people, who interview at places like Columbia, Harvard, Stanford, in addition to their state schools will likely not go to Tufts. I am happy to be at Tufts, but if I had gotten into Maryland you can bet I wouldn't turn them down because of the cost.