1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

thepodiatryforum.com

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by Deep Fibular, May 20, 2002.

1. Deep Fibular

Deep Fibular Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anybody from here post on thepodiatryforum.com ? I think that site is so full of bs that it is not funny. Myself and a few other podiatric medical students have attempted numerous times to post on that forum to give our view points and none of our posts ever made it online. This further makes me believe that the site is biased and full of garbage. It really seems like there are a few incorrigible podiatrists on there that just post under different names. The only podiatrist I recognize is Dr.Moon aka Toejam. The rest are really suspect. I feel sorry for that Dr.Gale guy but at the same point I would like to voice my view and opinions. I think I should start a new forum. Whoever runs that forum has some issues!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MSERMAN

MSERMAN Member
    10+ Year Member

Yeah, that guy (I think Dr. Richard Wilner?) is a phony. I don't even think he practices podiatry. I think he sits at his computer all day and complains about podiatry. Go figure, no wonder he is not happy if he has no patients to see, ie., no income. I have been to his hometown of New Orleans and tried to look him up in the book and there is not a Dr. Wilner in New Orleans. I think he is off his rocker. Most of the people on that web page are podiatrist that are unsuccessful at their practice and wish to discourage potential students away from the field. Too much negativity for me!! I believe if you work hard at something (your goal) and have some good business sense, you can be successful. Do what you like and work hard & I feel the benefits will pay off in the end. Just one man's opinion.

4. Toejam

Toejam Terminal Student
    7+ Year Member

I spent my wad on the Podiatry Forum a couple of months ago. I said what I wanted to say (usually more than once), got flamed, got more ornary, got flamed some more and finally felt like I needed to take a shower.

I think that most of the DPM's who post their gripes ARE not very successful. That kind of goes without saying. I happen to be financially successful (through pure luck), but am intellectually and emotionally dissatisfied. I have my issues with podiatry, but the issues are only with the schools, the education and the institution of podiatry. I think podiatry is a great sub-specialty and definitely needed (MD's and DO's know precisely dick about the foot and ankle).

My reasons for posting on the Pod Forum were mostly cathartic (if you went through the BS that I did, you'd need to vent, too), but partly instructional (I'd like to think). There's no doubt that most DPM's make a good living in podiatry, but, proportionally (compared with DO's and MD's) there are more that don't. Just a quick look at which fields have the highest default rates can give you an idea (synopsis: Chiropractors have the highest, followed by DPM's, Dentists, DO's and MD's). I don't know how else to interprate this other than job availability and income potential.

You want to know why there are so many "negative" posters on the Pod Forum site? Simply put, it's harder to make a living as a podiatrist vs. MD's and DO's (virtually NO jobs for DPM's...we are forced to start from scratch while most MD's and DO's can find an actual job in an actual practice), there's a subtle inferiority complex that runs through the world of podiatry (which doesn't affect everyone) and you tend to get less respect in the real world vs. DO's and MD's. We are also looked at with greater scrutiny by Medicare and Medicaid because of the relatively high rate of fraud amongst pods. It all adds up to a stressful podiatrist.

If you guys want some honest opinions and advice, feel free to ask.

Dr Moon/Toejam

5. Toejam

Toejam Terminal Student
    7+ Year Member

BTW, Deep Fibular

The forum was once moderated by a CCPM student, but he gave it up about a month or two ago. He was sick of the negativity, too.

You can start your own forum. I think there's a link on the homepage for pod forum.com. I'm pretty sure Dr. Wilner is a DPM. Just because he wasn't found on a search doesn't mean he is fictitious. Why would someone spend so much time on such a narrowly focused forum like this if he weren't a truly interested observer? And, I recognize several of the other posters (who use their names). It doesn't really make a lot of sense that someone who is not a pod would waste their time posting rants on a podiatry forum. It doesn't happen on other medically related forums.

6. ussdfiant

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Say what you will about that forum but it (along with podiatrybytes) saved my professional life. I'm not saying that I took 100% of what I read to heart, but just a cursory read of that site along with some real life pods, led me to the belief that podiatry was not right for me. I was able to wade through all the BS and glean the points about podiatry that Dr. Moon mentioned above. Again, if I had not found that site last summer, my sig would have Podiatric between "of" and "Medicine" and I would not be a happy camper!

7. efs

efs SDN Advisor
    SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Podiatrist
    Dr Moon's assessments are pretty well on target. I think I would agree with him here.

As far as the higher default rate, I am not so sure that it is the job market. I think if you consider that it is a smaller field, and does attract some people who shouldn't be anywhere near medicine, that there are bound to be some people who are not successful. (Or who make poor career choices - such as deciding that they just have to live in NYC or Chicago). A few of these people can make a more significant bump in the numbers.

8. Toejam

Toejam Terminal Student
    7+ Year Member

USSdefiant is doing exactly what I'm going to be doing next year.

I wish that I had the forum and someone like me to clue me in on a lot of the facts of podiatry that the schools and the APMA would NEVER tell you.

The ironic thing is, though, that I only had mediocre grades and MCAT scores 10 years ago when I started the process to become a doctor. I couldn't even get an interview with a DO school (but I know things were a little bit more competitive back then). Podiatry was the only program that accepted me. Now that I'm a DPM, I have a much better chance of becoming an MD or DO, which is what I was aiming for in 1992. A rather circuitous route, but it'll likely do the job, eh!!?? The irony is that even though I'm not happy with podiatry, it's probably going to be my key to getting into medical school.

9. Toejam

Toejam Terminal Student
    7+ Year Member

Hey, Eric

My feelings on the default rate are that it's mostly based on job availability and business skills.

I think it goes without saying that chiropractors need to be excellent business people simply because there are NO jobs for them when they finish. DPM's would be next in line followed by DDS and DO's/MD's. As an MD or DO, you have a lot more choices as far as real jobs go. As a DPM, you have almost no opportunities and you're left with your own resources. I know we've had this discussion before (right?). If you have a solid business acumen and you love podiatry, you'll make a good living. If you lack either one, you're going to have a tough time.

Just my opinion.

10. Deep Fibular

Deep Fibular Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think both of you guys are right and need to come to some common ground instead of bickering back and forth. I love podiatry and feel that I have a good business sense, thus I believe I will do fine. I just read that I hate OCPM forum and found it hilarious.

11. Toejam

Toejam Terminal Student
    7+ Year Member

I think Eric and I are probably done with our bickering!

I would say that as long as you don't get frustrated when you first get out and stay focused, you'll do great. You'll certainly have less competition to deal with.

12. efs

efs SDN Advisor
    SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Podiatrist
    I also think we havve finished "bickering". My comment above was not that. I was just suggesting an alternate idea. It probably is really a combination of things that lead to any individual's default.