MudPhud20XX

5+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2013
Status
Medical Student
So when I did this q, I was thinking to myself, is this for real? I have never heard "fantasy" being one of the defense mech. lol. Does the real step1 does this too? I chose "denial" and the answer was "fantasy." I am just wondering for those who took the actual step 1 exam if you have experienced any weird answer choices like this, any comments, input? Many thanks in advance.

A young mother brings her 10 yr old son, who was recently diagnosed with osteosarcoma, to the pediatrician for a follow-up visit. He underwent amputation of his left leg and the prognosis for his condition is poor. Despite this, the mother looks at ease today and says that she is not worried about her son's prognosis. She acknowledges that he is ill but copes by day dreaming about how he loves to play baseball and will someday fulfill his dream of playing in the major leagues. She believes that her son is destined to live a long time. Which of the following defense mech is this woman employing?

A. denial
B. displacement
C. fantasy
D. regression
E. splitting
F. suppression

Aug 9, 2014
Status
Medical Student
So when I did this q, I was thinking to myself, is this for real? I have never heard "fantasy" being one of the defense mech. lol. Does the real step1 does this too? I chose "denial" and the answer was "fantasy." I am just wondering for those who took the actual step 1 exam if you have experienced any weird answer choices like this, any comments, input? Many thanks in advance.

A young mother brings her 10 yr old son, who was recently diagnosed with osteosarcoma, to the pediatrician for a follow-up visit. He underwent amputation of his left leg and the prognosis for his condition is poor. Despite this, the mother looks at ease today and says that she is not worried about her son's prognosis. She acknowledges that he is ill but copes by day dreaming about how he loves to play baseball and will someday fulfill his dream of playing in the major leagues. She believes that her son is destined to live a long time. Which of the following defense mech is this woman employing?

A. denial
B. displacement
C. fantasy
D. regression
E. splitting
F. suppression
Yes of course, fantasy is a real thing. Acknowledging the illness rules out denial.