Therapy Dogs...Coming To A Hospital Near You?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
USA Today said:
...The Veterans Dog Training Therapy Act, introduced by Rep. Michael Grimm, R-N.Y., proposes a two-pronged approach: Veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) would receive instruction in training dogs; the dogs they train would go to disabled vets.

The proposed pilot program's goal is to address "the growing need to help returning veterans," Grimm said in his announcement. It encourages using shelter dogs when possible, winning praise from humane groups.

Full story: http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/health/healthcare/2011-01-20-veterantherapy20_ST_N.htm

I think this is a step in the right direction. I've worked with a number of Veterans who have benefited from therapy dogs, though there are still some issues. I think the biggest issue is the "training", as it ranges from comprehensive programs all the way down to a "do it yourself" program.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty sure this has seen success in prison populations as well, with life timers. (Obviously not in reducing PTSD - pretty sure purpose was reducing violence).

Thanks for posting this!

I'm teaching a behavior modification course right now, and I think this will be a great discussion piece...both on the side of "training" and on the behavioral principles that may be involves in their use in therapy.

Research is very preliminary, but I would be very interested to see what kind of effects exist, and what drives them. The simple act of introducing structure into the day by having them feed and walk the dog could serve as behavioral activation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love this! Thanks for posting this. I almost became a volunteer at the children's hospital near me last year when I had a moment of insanity and forgot all the many different jobs and things I do and thought I had free time to spare.... and the orientation talked about being a therapy dog volunteer. I asked what that meant and they said you had to own a therapy dog to be one. Not sure what the requirements are, I guess it varies like you said.

As an animal lover too I've also heard about Pet Psychologists and Pet Therapists- and inquired about the credibility and requirements for those. And the response I was given by my supervisor (not sure if this is completely true) is that you just need to be a therapist or psychologist first and apply your techniques to the pet in need - I am sure there is more to this though, a certification, maybe?

But yes - therapy dogs are great not just in hospitals but with disabled individuals and prisoners too. This is actually a new movement to help free up some of the pets at the pound on death row themselves, to offer them to prisoners to learn compassion and sadly, only a few prisons have had the means to create this type of program with such great benefits.

As an animal lover too I've also heard about Pet Psychologists and Pet Therapists- and inquired about the credibility and requirements for those. And the response I was given by my supervisor (not sure if this is completely true) is that you just need to be a therapist or psychologist first and apply your techniques to the pet in need - I am sure there is more to this though, a certification, maybe?

There are different classifications of therapy dogs, in addition to having multiple certifications, both of which complicate things. Google can probably provide some different options, though only certain ones are accepted by the gov't, airlines, etc. I have just picked up bits and pieces of information during my time in the VA system, and also by talking to some clinicians who explored it as an option for one or more of their patients.

The best approach I have seen involves a dog being trained as a puppy by a certified trainer. Once trained, the patient works with the dog for a trial period, and if everything goes well the patient adopts the dog. Older dogs can be trained, but it can be a cost/benefit issue with an older dog because of their expected lifespan.

But yes - therapy dogs are great not just in hospitals but with disabled individuals and prisoners too. This is actually a new movement to help free up some of the pets at the pound on death row themselves, to offer them to prisoners to learn compassion and sadly, only a few prisons have had the means to create this type of program with such great benefits.

I saw a news report a couple of years ago about the use of shelter dogs in prisons. While the non-scientist part of me thinks hard labor is a good deterant, the scientist in me can see the possible positive benefits associated with a rehabiliation program involves dogs. I don't work in the forensic setting, so I'll defer to others with more knowledge, though I'd be interested in reading any formal research about the topic.

My canine son (pictured as my avatar) is a 75 pound golden retriever and he is a therapy dog. Goldens make wonderful therapy dogs due to their basic disposition and the ease with which they can be trained in obedience. Their size and gentle demeanor make them ideal for therapeutic human pet encounters. One of the more interesting this we do is take pets into schools and libraries and have children with developmental reading disorders read to the dogs and cats rather than to people. Their reading fluency increases markedly probably due to reduced anxiety..

I think this is a step in the right direction. I've worked with a number of Veterans who have benefited from therapy dogs, though there are still some issues. I think the biggest issue is the "training", as it ranges from comprehensive programs all the way down to a "do it yourself" program.
a friend of mine and fellow psychologist got one of her dogs trained as a therapy dog...it looked like a pretty intensive process. i think she was at it for several months....not including "intern" hours.

a friend of mine and fellow psychologist got one of her dogs trained as a therapy dog...it looked like a pretty intensive process. i think she was at it for several months....not including "intern" hours.

Yeah I had looked into this several years ago for my dog, and the process was a little too intense for my schedule.

These dogs are always trying to encroach on our turf. Next thing you know, they'll be asking to administer psychological tests. Scope creep!

this year at my campus, they brought in dogs during reading week at several of the libraries to reduce exam anxiety and stress.

My parents have two dogs trained as therapy dogs and they go to local agencies and homes to spend time with the residents. Also at the local jail, they have the paws in stripes program where inmates train dogs to be adopted by the community.