Therapy without a license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TMS@1987

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you are allowed to practice therapy (barring private practice) without a license? I would like to work in an MH setting and do counseling/therapy during my 2 yrs of supervision before I get my license but I have heard that if you don't have a license you typically won't be allowed to do therapy and I was wondering if that was really the case and if I'm going to have to do case management (which I really don't want to do) during those 2 yrs. I'm also interested in working in the UK, Australia, France, etc. and I was wondering if the same rules applied their in regards to the whole "no license, no therapy" thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you at in your education at this point?

I've seen master's level clinicians (license eligible/with supervision) who do group and individual therapy. They may be limited by the kinds of clients they can see because of insurance/government requirements (like Medicaid), but I definitely have seen some who do therapy. It's probably more likely that you'll see job opportunities for case management b/c there's a need, but there's a lot you can learn doing that as well.

I believe until you are licensed, you MUST be supervised and 'under' someone else's license if you engage in therapy. I'm not sure how it works at the MA/MS (if it is any different), but I am pretty sure this is the setup at the doctoral level.

-t

At the MS level you can do therapy, if you are supervised under someone else's license. Typically in that situation you have what is called a Temporary license, and most meet weekly with your supervisor. A great deal of jobs require some level of case management experience so getting some is a good idea.