Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yikes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
i've heard that it's important to be in therapy or at least have been in therapy before apply to school. have you all found this to be true.
thanks as always.

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of being in therapy, or not, as being either a help or hinderence to applications. I have heard, several times, that selection committees don't appreciate people giving explosive self-disclosure about therapy/their own disorder in personal statements and that you shouldn't really mention it in your PS-- not because there's anything wrong with it, but because it doesn't belong there.

That said, therapy can certainly be illuminating, interesting, and fun (it was for me, anyway).

I think it offers an interesting perspective, and I think as professionals we could benefit from being in therapy, even if it is only for a bit. I think it not only helps us understand where our pts are coming from, but it also can provide a place for us to process things that we may not be able to otherwise. I've always had a great respect for analysts; I think having a long term relationship and really being able to flush out and process parts of a person's life experiences can be invaluable.

-t

Members don't see this ad :)
It really shouldn't play a role in the application process at all. Though, as JockNerd said, you really should not disclose information like that in your PS. Its unlikely the adcom would hold it against you in the sense of "He's crazy, let's not let him in" but they WOULD hold it against you in the sense of "This person doesn't have a sense of professionalism". Being in therapy is by no means a help for applications.

I too, feel therapy can be enlightening even for mentally health individuals. However, not having had therapy doesn't really have a bearing on whether or not you will be a good therapist or grad student with regards to admissions. Its more of a "helpful for life in general" thing, at least in my eyes.

That being said, the application process may in fact cause you to need therapy;)

Though my school required a year of therapy for graduation (as some schools do), I actually believe it invaluable to be "on the other side of the couch" so to speak...

I actually think that being in therapy before/during/after grad school is probably a good thing, and lets us appreciate what our clients go through (and helps us deal with whatever the issue at hand is). But, I agree with others, don't discuss this in your applications.

I agree with what's already been said. While you probably won't want to come out and say "hey I've been in therapy for four years, let me in to grad school now!" it certainly is an asset to know who you are before embarking on such a huge project like grad school.

I'm currently writing a thank you letter to the psychologist I saw a few years ago, to let her know what I'm up to and that I appreciate her pointing me in the right direction. Therapy isn't just for crazies anymore! :laugh:

Didn't mean to double post, but since I did...I'd like to mention that I'd be willing to bet that many if not most therapists have been in some kind of therapy!

Some programs want to see that students have some insight into their own dynamics before entering the program. It can be a positive for applications to some programs.