There's a FM-Med/Psych thread 5 years old that's no longer allowing posts. Curious to see where the posters have ended up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.0ne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't bump up that post but where have some of you all ended up. Do we know anything more about the competitiveness of these programs or is it strictly based on fit?

I imagine doing aways at these combined programs only helps you (that is if you don't ruin yourself on first impressions).

Members don't see this ad.

Which thread? This one? Fm/Psych-how competative

A lot of people end up ranking just categorical by the end after they realize what they want after interviewing at different programs. A handful went combined, some to Med-Psych and some to FM-Psych. There's currently 6 FM-Psych programs now (Boston U is new as of 2018) with a total of 12 spots.

Doing an away would look good, and at least half of the people that I know that matched at either Pitt or UCSD did aways. Its not necessary for interviews or even to match, but it helps if you make a good impression (it will also help for you to get an idea if if you like the program/people). I'm not sure about IM-Psych, but I imagine its similar.

Competitiveness is on-par with slightly more competitive FM/IM or Psych categorical programs, but fit is still the most important thing. It does seem like things are a bit of a crap-shoot though, because competitiveness varies to some degree year-to-year.

Strongly recommend going to AMP if you can and are truly interested. Its in Atlanta this year from Oct 17-19. Its a good place to meet programs and network. Not sure about hotel prices, but when I went as a 4th year, I used airbnb or stayed with friends for conferences.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
That's the thread! Thanks for replying. I'm strongly considering going to the AMP conference this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have an idea of general step scores these programs are looking for?

If anyone has any specific questions about this path, please feel free to post them here and let us know if there is information you've been struggling to get about combined training that you would like us to provide info about. We are looking for ways to make that info more accessible during this year doing virtual interviews.

If anyone has any specific questions about this path, please feel free to post them here and let us know if there is information you've been struggling to get about combined training that you would like us to provide info about. We are looking for ways to make that info more accessible during this year doing virtual interviews.
How do most people end up structuring their practice? I've heard a bit that in combined specialties sometimes people just end up in 1 or the other exclusively. My dream practice would be psych patients + OB. What do some other people like about FM-Psych combo?

Reactions: 1 user
How do most people end up structuring their practice? I've heard a bit that in combined specialties sometimes people just end up in 1 or the other exclusively. My dream practice would be psych patients + OB. What do some other people like about FM-Psych combo?
You didn't quote me, but it varies wildly depending on the individual and where they work. While previous studies showed that "most people just practice one", this seemed most consistent with Med-Peds, since they are one of the biggest combined residencies. A more recent study done a couple years ago (I think at UCSD) showed that ~75% of FM-Psych graduates use both.

I knew someone who did psych + FM-based OB and prenatal care. It's not super common though.

Other FM-Psych grads that I can think of off the top of my head include Addiction Medicine work or directors at addiction treatment, FQHC with outpatient FM and Psych, integrated/collaborative care models with psych embedded into a residency program or primary care clinic, sleep medicine, academic faculty in both departments, working in student health (general and psych), jail/prison medicine, rural primary care, CL psychiatry, and global health.

You didn't quote me, but it varies wildly depending on the individual and where they work. While previous studies showed that "most people just practice one", this seemed most consistent with Med-Peds, since they are one of the biggest combined residencies. A more recent study done a couple years ago (I think at UCSD) showed that ~75% of FM-Psych graduates use both.

I knew someone who did psych + FM-based OB and prenatal care. It's not super common though.

Other FM-Psych grads that I can think of off the top of my head include Addiction Medicine work or directors at addiction treatment, FQHC with outpatient FM and Psych, integrated/collaborative care models with psych embedded into a residency program or primary care clinic, sleep medicine, academic faculty in both departments, working in student health (general and psych), jail/prison medicine, rural primary care, CL psychiatry, and global health.
Only one I know personally was an attending in residency. Had his personal psych clinic 1 day per week, precepted residents in the regular clinic the rest of the time.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Yall fun to see the old thread being referenced... I ended up in a Med-Psych program and am currently a PGY-4. Still trying to figure out exactly what I want to do with my life, but i know its going to be outpatient and will have some pain, and addiction. Trying to decide about a fellowship, its been a long road and family is ready to have Dad back so will see what we end up doing. =)

At my institution we have a handful of faculty who are med psych trained and they are doing the following (for what practice can look like)
Current PD does 30% inpt teaching service medicine, 20% Neuro-stim (usually TMS), 20% filling in for other attendings vacations on the inpt psych service, and the rest administrative.

Old PD almost 100% research and LOVES it, she does mostly pain and addiction

Recent grad 2 years into attending hood: Working on our CL service every other week, has afternoon clinics in psych 2 or 3 times a week and on the off CL weeks doing research.

Older grad : Runs a Med pscyh homeless clinic at the VA. Mostly PCP but so much psych overtones very useful

Older grad: Fills in, in inpt psych when needed, otherwise has created her own Sickle Cell clinic and is an Absolute pillar in the community.

people who are not here anymore but I can comment on
20 hr a week tele CL psych (being an awesome mom the other time)
50% CL psych for PCP's at home for the VA and 50% neurostim
50% Cl and 50% psycho-onc for private system
I know its a mix of psych and medicine but not sure how much but PD in new med psych program

So i would Say overall leans somewhat towards psych but everyone still gets their fingers in medicine.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users