There's a FM-Med/Psych thread 5 years old that's no longer allowing posts. Curious to see where the posters have ended up?

dr.0ne

5+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Unfortunately I can't bump up that post but where have some of you all ended up. Do we know anything more about the competitiveness of these programs or is it strictly based on fit?

I imagine doing aways at these combined programs only helps you (that is if you don't ruin yourself on first impressions).

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Which thread? This one? Fm/Psych-how competative

A lot of people end up ranking just categorical by the end after they realize what they want after interviewing at different programs. A handful went combined, some to Med-Psych and some to FM-Psych. There's currently 6 FM-Psych programs now (Boston U is new as of 2018) with a total of 12 spots.

Doing an away would look good, and at least half of the people that I know that matched at either Pitt or UCSD did aways. Its not necessary for interviews or even to match, but it helps if you make a good impression (it will also help for you to get an idea if if you like the program/people). I'm not sure about IM-Psych, but I imagine its similar.

Competitiveness is on-par with slightly more competitive FM/IM or Psych categorical programs, but fit is still the most important thing. It does seem like things are a bit of a crap-shoot though, because competitiveness varies to some degree year-to-year.

Strongly recommend going to AMP if you can and are truly interested. Its in Atlanta this year from Oct 17-19. Its a good place to meet programs and network. Not sure about hotel prices, but when I went as a 4th year, I used airbnb or stayed with friends for conferences.

Last edited:
Reactions: dr.0ne
OP
dr.0ne

dr.0ne

5+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Status
Medical Student
That's the thread! Thanks for replying. I'm strongly considering going to the AMP conference this year.