There's a reason for this...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZekeMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
They're trying to weed out applicants. They only want applicants who are truly interested in attending BU (which are those who would be willing to pay the $100). Granted many people will still pay the fee regardless of their interest in BU, but there are probably a good number of applicants who decided not to apply due to the large application fee.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I don't know how this got detached from the original thread....it's in reference to BU and the large application fees.

Originally posted by ZekeMD
They're trying to weed out applicants. They only want applicants who are truly interested in attending BU (which are those who would be willing to pay the $100). Granted many people will still pay the fee regardless of their interest in BU, but there are probably a good number of applicants who decided not to apply due to the large application fee.

A good number of applicants wont apply? Are you kidding me? 10,000 applications? thats the most of any med school! Check your stats.

You should know by now that people applying to med schools aren't going to let 100 dollars keep them from getting in. It really only deterrs a small number from applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe that's why rush's secondary is ungodly long, to deter applicants. hmm, suddenly all these longs secondaries make more sense.

It is true that secondaries are a way of screening out applicants.

Georgetown, with their secondary, include a table with the number of interviews, acceptances, etc.

This is straight from that letter:

Applications received: 7493
Applications completed: 4184
Interviewed: 1136
Accepted: 390

Notice how nearly half of the 7500 applicants DON'T complete the application.

I assume that there is great variation in this phenomenon accross schools, but BU probably gets a bunch of AMCAS apps that never get completed.