Theresa: Psych Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my third year as a psychology major. I have a 3.3 GPA(I know this isn't good enough). I go to school full time and work
full time. My grades are generally improving as I go along. I plan on taking all of the required math and science classes and
the MCAT (if I decide to take the medical route). I know that I won't be able to work full time if I decide to go to medical
school, but I was wondering if it's possible to work part-time while in school. I keep reading that I won't have time for work
and school, but unfortunately I have no choice. I'm not sure if I will even be able to cut my hours. Also, do you suggest I take
the science classes towards the end of my education so that the material is fresh in my mind for the MCAT? Thank you so much for
your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Theresa,
Thanks for your posting.
First, you say you have no choice but to work. Is there any way you could get more student loans rather than work or are you maxed out? I hate debt but trying to boost your GPA while working is very hard.

If you are in your third year, I think taking the science towards the end of your medical education is not a point now because you will take the MCAT in the next year or so anyway, right? I'd take them now, so you can put MCAT review books or courses to good work, and reinforce things rather than learn them right before the MCAT!

Good luck Theresa!

Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net