theresa: undergraduate school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! This board is so helpful! I have another question. Even though I am technically a
junior, I still have at least two years to go. I had changed my major, so many of my
classes counted as credits, but were not necessary for my current program
(psychology). If I can transfer as an undergraduate to Wayne State University, do you
think I would have a better chance at being accepted into their medical school? Also, I
made an appointment with the Assistant Dean of the medical school at WSU. Are there
any important questions that you would suggest I ask? As always, your assistance is
greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know where you are going now, so it is difficult to answer the question about
transferring to Wayne State. If you are thinking of Wayne State Medical School, then
going to the undergrad school might enable you to develope some connections.
It's great that you are meeting with the assistant dean! Just meating with the dean will
show him/her that you are serious and enthusiastic about your future carreer.

I'm not sure what the premise of the meeting that you set up is. But I think letting the
dean know your background and carreer aspirations, and then asking for guidance on
what you can do to make yourself a better candidate for admission, will help. Asking
what volunteer opportunities are available at Wayne State will show you are a nice
person and will lay the seed for future discussions with the dean. Asking if anyone in
the medical school is willing to take an undergraduate student under his/her wing and
let the student follow him/her or do research is a good idea too.

Let us know what the dean says, and good luck!

Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net