SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!


Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by hopedoc, Apr 5, 2001.

  1. hopedoc

    hopedoc Member 10+ Year Member

    Apr 18, 2000
    Does anyone know if any programs exist that allow one to do research/ complete a thesis while doing residency, or would that be too overwhelming of a combination. The reason I ask, is that I thought I read somewhere that these types of residencies are available.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Many university programs with academic missions require research or lab years. For example I will be doing a 5 year general surgery residency but an additional 1-2 years of lab work is "highly recommended", especially for those with career goals of academic medicine.

    While I cannot speak for other specialties, in surgery you do your first two years, then take your lab years, returning to your 3rd gen surg year. Some other programs simply have a research block incorporated into your rotations.

    In addition, those that don't have formal research requirements are often willing to let you take the time off to do the research. I think you will find it too difficult to do without taking a block of time off from your clinical duties.

    Key points:

    1)if your desired program does not have a formal research/lab year requirement or process, make sure you will be PAID for that time
    2)it is more desirable to find a program that will pay you WHEREVER you go for your research. IMHO it is better to have the lee-way to pursue projects anywhere in the country or the world (ie, NIH, international projects, etc.) rather than be tied to what may interest you at your residency program.

    Hope this helps.
  4. hopedoc

    hopedoc Member 10+ Year Member

    Apr 18, 2000
    Thank you for the info Kimberlox. I will have a DO degree, are research opportunities at universities open to DO students? I am planning on doing an internal medicine residency. The reason I'm interested in the research aspect is that I may be pursuing a PhD degree as well. I have not even begun school yet though, so this may very well change.
  5. A DO student would be better placed to answer that than I. But I would not imagine that the school granting your degree would matter when looking for research opportunities during medical school.

    I have seen some DO students say they applied for the allopathic match because they felt the research opportunities were better because there were more allopathic residencies at universities (as opposed to community programs which do not generally offer PhDs or research experience). Thus, when applying for residency, if you are still interested in obtaining a PhD it would behoove you to concentrate on academic programs, which are usually offered at universities.

    You can take a gander at the allopathic database for residencies at Looking at some programs might give you an idea whats entailed in a typical university allopathic IM residency.

    I would also encourage you to post this question over in the Osteopathic section as some of the DO students and grads there (like Stinky Tofu, Leotigers, etc.) might be able to assist you there. I will also email them and ask them to look for your post.

    Best of luck...

  6. SW-Adrian

    SW-Adrian Member 10+ Year Member

    Jun 18, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Most internal medicine residency programs have a special investigator track. Eventhough this track is really meant for residents with MD-PhDs already, they will also accept MDs with strong research backgrounds or MDs with a strong interest in becoming academic physicians. These residency programs tend to be at least one to years longer than your typical 3 year medicine residency. Of course, if you wish to do a PhD, the overall time will be even longer. Many residencies also over a 7 year ABIM approved program as a package for top students. These 7 years will breakdown into 2 years internal medicine, 3 years subspecialty training and 2 years of research. Since this research is really meant as a postdoctoral training, you will need to spend a little more time if you wish to include a PhD as well.

    Hope this help.

    Adrian Zai

Share This Page