ObGyn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2004
Status
hey, for those of you who are worried about the harder step 2 cs grading scale, worry no more, i have heard for many recent graduates that they are getting rid of the test. of course, nbme denies it, but i think the test will be gone soon. have you guys heard the same thing?

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2002
in hell
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ObGyn said:
hey, for those of you who are worried about the harder step 2 cs grading scale, worry no more, i have heard for many recent graduates that they are getting rid of the test. of course, nbme denies it, but i think the test will be gone soon. have you guys heard the same thing?

I've read that rumor on these boards for like 2 straight years now.

Even some official posts were going around from the nbme saying it was false.

unless you hear it from the horse's mouth, I wouldn't put any faith in what fellow students say.

Pox in a box

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2005
Status
ObGyn said:
They have no motivation to do so. The test is a great screening factor for good physicians but the problem is the incredible financial burden that it places on students.

About the Ads

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2002
E-USA
Visit site
Status
ObGyn said:
A monkey could pass this test. Bite the bullet and take it. It is not that big of deal.

P.S. It ain't going away.

12R34Y

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2000
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Our school last year assured us that this test will never leave.

it wasn't bad at all...........bigfrank said it well. a monkey could pass this.

later

MacGyver

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2001
Visit site
Status
Step 2 CS is just a money making tool and nothing more.

Bunch of greedy bastards using these fat $1000 fees to float their whole organization.

Next thing you know they will start adding Step 2 "cultural sensitivity" test and Step 3 "medical business analysis" to screw us out of even more money to prop up their fatcat budgets.

Pox in a box

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2005
Status
ObGyn said:
Nobody actually believed this crap. Stop spreading lies. You can't confirm anything you've said here.

img_Philly

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status
Non-Student
bigfrank said:
A monkey could pass this test. Bite the bullet and take it. It is not that big of deal.

P.S. It ain't going away.
I hope I am one of those monkeys ;)

LovelyRita

Blade Slinger
15+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2002
where it's bleeding
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
MacGyver said:
Next thing you know they will start adding Step 2 "cultural sensitivity" test and Step 3 "medical business analysis" to screw us out of even more money to prop up their fatcat budgets.
Shhhhhhhhhh. Bite your tongue!

mjl1717

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
Westbury,NewYork
Visit site
Status
#1) the q is kind of comical. [And just asking it helps the spread of a rumor since you can't confirm it] I know one thing that money helps pay someones mortgage. Also you're in this medical arena, no if's ands or buts you gotta study and get out there and FIGHT- bleeding and all!!
Thats a funny q, like the above poster said if anything MORE exams and more steps will be ADDED!!! Also not only does the exam bring in a lot of $$$ in a short period of time, its a checkpoint on a docs social skills and bedside rapport. And you can tell if a doc intrinsically understands English and English slang.

Shah_Patel_PT

MD
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
MI, NY, CA, Fl, NV
Status
Attending Physician
ObGyn said:
Yeah right.....how else are they going to screen out foreign grads.....

This test aint going away.....at least not for the IMGs!

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2002
in hell
Status
Resident [Any Field]
this test was around prior to it becoming the CS.

Now they have a lot more time and money invested in this exam. I can't see it going away until they've recouped their losses at least.

wook

Just a hairy situation
15+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2002
Where the tides of madness swell
Status
Attending Physician
Pox in a box said:
The test is a great screening factor for good physicians but the problem is the incredible financial burden that it places on students.
Actually, I found the exam to be fake and irrelevant to the actual practice of medicine.

Wook

letusbedocs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
Status
PLEASE LET THIS RUMOR DIE.

One reason exists why Step 2 CS is not going away for Amerian grads, and it's a reason that can explain 95% of motivations and actions in the adult world:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The NBME people have 16,000 new customers (at $1095 a pop right?) for their 95% passing exam that is probably not doing too too much in terms of ridding the world of doctoral incompetency.

I'm not even sure how much money they make on this stuff but I can be sure that it's not just going to "go away" easily.

I think the exam is worth it but not at the cost and inconvience to a medical student population deeply in debt. Foreign grads usually (at least at the non-Carib schools) have much less debt as their government medical education is almost free.

manning18

10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2004
Status
I actually emailed people working for the NBME itself and they whole-heartedly denied the notion of the Step 2-CS examination being eliminated for students attending LCME accredited Medical Schools. They made it sound as if they were not even thinking about getting rid of this test. Btw, I emailed them to inquire b/c a classmate of mine (1 year ahead of me) told me that the Step 2-CS was being eliminated!

Dr.McNinja

Nobel War Prize Winner
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2006
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Not a prayer.
And they aren't going to add any more sites either, because even though Philly is always packed, there are plenty of spots in Atlanta for those NY kids to fly down to and spend more of their money.
I'm still pissed that you get a form from the ECFMG stating that I took the test. Why is a commission for foreign medical graduates evaluating a DAMN thing that I do?

About the Ads