They Just Don't Understand Who We Are

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw this comic strip last week:
http://www.comics.com/comics/grandave/archive/grandave-20070916.html
Cute, but it assumes, as do lots of people, that if you are working in an ED you're a resident. I have close friends who still ask me when I'm going to be done with school and open an office. I think the time for education is over and we should all just turn to violence.

Members don't see this ad.

No, no, no, no, no, no. You will ruin all our brilliant plans to keep it secret, clouded in mystery! what is the point of having a secret password, all that random time off (the schedule keeps em confused) and deceptive uniforms, if you want to undo it all by telling people what we actually do!

Just think of all the hard work and propaganda that went into all the tv shows, never showing an EM attending/resident anywhere!

Your going to blow our secret club out of the water!

worse than that, they seem to think residents aren't doctors, a far too common misconception.....

Members don't see this ad :)
You silly residents/attendings. Don't you have tests you should be studying for and not spending time on SDN? Not very good study habits I must admit.... :(

The local paper here in Corpus Christi wrote a story about our new residency program with the title: "Med Students Thrive on Fast Pace"

You can read all of the inaccuracies in the story here:
http://www.caller.com/news/2007/jun/18/residency/

A resident is a medical student practicing to be a physician in a specialized area....Unlike during their internships, residents are paid a salary.....But the doctors-in-training aren't immediately thrown into the emergency room. They attend several lectures and are given reading and laboratory assignments

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! :eek::thumbdown:+pissed+ why can't these people do a little research???

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! :eek::thumbdown:+pissed+ why can't these people do a little research???

The best part is, she's the "health" reporter. What a joke.

"As the health and medical reporter, my job is to cover new health trends, technology and procedures and the city's hospitals. I love talking to the community and sharing its stories. I'll admit, I have a tendency to be nosy, but in this profession that's OK."

Nosy? Maybe. Informed? Eh, no.

Hold on.. Im a doctor? Catch me.. im about to fall.

Although that article was fascinating, I think I learned more about your town from this one:
http://www.caller.com/news/2007/sep/20/man-accused-sex-dog/

Thats crazy... but is it really illegal to be naked in your car? I do not think the cops had any right to arrest or detain him just because he is naked within his automobile.

Now, if he is nude and lifiting up to show people through the window... that is different.... but just being naked in your car.

How is that really different than being naked in a motorhome?

darth_vader_nooo.jpg

(sorry... that's what immediately came to mind :oops: )

That article really irritated me. I e-mailed the lady who wrote it with the corrections, but never heard back.

As you can probably guess Corpus Christi is not a utopia for education and common sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
The local paper here in Corpus Christi wrote a story about our new residency program with the title: "Med Students Thrive on Fast Pace"

You can read all of the inaccuracies in the story here:
http://www.caller.com/news/2007/jun/18/residency/
Wow! There are some whoppers in there. Sometimes more than one per sentence.

A resident is a medical student practicing to be a physician in a specialized area.

Unlike during their internships, residents are paid a salary.

I especially love this one:
But the doctors-in-training aren't immediately thrown into the emergency room. They attend several lectures and are given reading and laboratory assignments, McLaughlin said.
So they had some orientation lectures and a reading assignment and only then were they thrown into the ED?

Wow! There are some whoppers in there. Sometimes more than one per sentence.

I especially love this one:

So they had some orientation lectures and a reading assignment and only then were they thrown into the ED?

haha, we picked out the same quotes! That last one really makes it sound like residents are medical students only a week or two into their studies :laugh:

After reading the quotes, I'm not sure I want to read the article. Oh well, curiosity is getting to me. I'll comment after reading it.

So I read it. Some of it twice because I couldn't believe it was actually said. How does this person have a job with so many blatantly wrong facts? I say the reporter should be fired. I'm sure that's not the only article he/she wrote that was this inaccurate.

That article really irritated me. I e-mailed the lady who wrote it with the corrections, but never heard back.

As you can probably guess Corpus Christi is not a utopia for education and common sense.

I just realized this article was written back in June. They probably already forgot about it.

I sent her the e-mail last June, shortly after the article was published. I never got any kind of response. Pretty shoddy.

I concur :rolleyes: The nerve of some people who do this stuff.

Not entirely the same topic, but in the same ballpark...

Does this happen to anyone else? They ask what kind of resident you are. You tell them emergency medicine. Then they ask, what do you want to specialize in when you're done with residency?

Its like...hello...I thought I just told you. I think its happened to me like 5 times this month.

Does this happen to anyone else? They ask what kind of resident you are. You tell them emergency medicine. Then they ask, what do you want to specialize in when you're done with residency?

Its like...hello...I thought I just told you. I think its happened to me like 5 times this month.

This happens to me all. the. time.

I'm just going to be a nurse since I go to med school.:rolleyes:

I sent her the e-mail last June, shortly after the article was published. I never got any kind of response. Pretty shoddy.

pretty shoddy job by the journalist. almost looks like the journalistic work of a junior high school student writing for the local junior high. i tried using the supplied email to email constructive criticism however the email is not functional.

pretty shoddy job by the journalist. almost looks like the journalistic work of a junior high school student writing for the local junior high. i tried using the supplied email to email constructive criticism however the email is not functional.

:laugh:

I went to journalism school before med school and I have to say, this utter failure to grasp the basics of what they are supposedly covering is pretty much par for the course for a reporter.

Get a J-school grad who can put together two coherent sentences together about the practice of medicine without one reference to Grey's Anatomy, and they could write for the freakin' New York Times.

hmm... (wheels turning)

my dad asked me the same thing and he's an FP!

started my cardiology rotation on monday...and this is an admittedly older attending, but still someone who knows my EM program and its residents...and we're walking down the hall, and he asks me what I'm going to specialize in after my residency. I was completely dumbfounded.

started my cardiology rotation on monday...and this is an admittedly older attending, but still someone who knows my EM program and its residents...and we're walking down the hall, and he asks me what I'm going to specialize in after my residency. I was completely dumbfounded.

maybe he wants to know if you're going to specialize within em; toxicology, US, disaster...

Wait... so there are subspecialties within EM? Is there a cards or ortho sub specialty?

And speaking of medical journalism, Drudge is linking to this:

http://www.kpho.com/news/14214579/detail.html

14213785_240X180.jpg

The article itself isn't bad or anything (poor kid, though). I just got a kick out of the graphic.

Say, any chance a certain poster here saw this case?

Then Aaron got the headache that wouldn't go away. Evans took him to the hospital, and doctors thought his son was suffering from meningitis. Aaron was rushed to another hospital in Las Vegas.