They want your parents info for Financial Aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnnaB

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for you guys. I've been reading up on financial aid for med school and ways to pay for the crazy tuition. Is it true that the med school will require financial info on your parents???? I am 29 years old, married and haven't depended on my parents for years. To make matters worse...my parents are pretty well off financially....but I do not expect them to contribute a dime to my medical eduation. Does this mean I am never going to get anything other then loans????...no scholarship money of any kind??? Any input would be appreciated. Anna

Members don't see this ad.

Anna,

I believe if you're a graduate school student for medicine, you don't have to turn in your parent's stats. I don't know the exact provisions, but I've turned in my 3rd FAFSA in as many years and have never used my parent's numbers.

I have a similar situation as yourself with my parents, as well as similar age (28). But just to be safe, check with your financial aid dept.

hope this helps!
Eric, MSII
COMP

it depends on the school. The federal government says that professional school students ie us don't have to supply our parents info even if we are 18. The problem is that some schools (mine) require that you put your parental info on the fafsa.