Thieme Anatomy Atlas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr 14220

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SO im starting gross anatomy in the fall, and it seems that alot of people are pretty enthusiastic about Thieme's Atlas. I looked at sample pages and it did look really nice. My only problem with it is that its a 3 series set that adds up to about 1,500 pages total. COntrast that with Netter which is only about 700 pages or so.

So is Thieme's atlas twice as much info or something?? Is it overkill??? I'd like to know what people think about that before spending the money on what seems to be 3 very good but expensive books.

Members don't see this ad.

i think thieme is coming out with a condensed atlas (1 book) soon. the 3 volume series might be overkill.

I used all three atlases this year and I don't regret it! The Thieme series was well-worth the money, especially the musculoskeletal one. They can be used if you are pressed for time and have an upcoming anatomy lecture exam as a review book as most of the pertinent information can be found within its pages. Great series:)

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was taking Grad anatomy for my Masters I really appreciated the Thieme book but really I never Bought one or a Netters (too expensive). I studied anatomy at the local barnes and noble or borders chain bookstore and "borrowed" it for the afternoon and put it back in the shelf. Each anatomy book has different perspectives and different items reflected so in some cases (like around the mess at the liver with hepatic arteries, pancreas duodenum etc) I found it useful to have both books to rely on.

The theime atlas is pretty, but after I got the Netter's anatomy atlas on CD, I have never looked back at anything. Now I can type in "thoracic duct" and the program will bring up every plate with that structure, and it will highlight the label so you don't have to search for it. You can also, automatically make up tests in the program, and it will test you on what you know. I got the CD for free from a friend, and it is much more than anything I could have needed. Anyway, med students have been surviving on Netter's for years; it seems like Thieme is for the anatomy grad students or anatomy professors.

The theime atlas is pretty, but after I got the Netter's anatomy atlas on CD, I have never looked back at anything. Now I can type in "thoracic duct" and the program will bring up every plate with that structure, and it will highlight the label so you don't have to search for it. You can also, automatically make up tests in the program, and it will test you on what you know. I got the CD for free from a friend, and it is much more than anything I could have needed. Anyway, med students have been surviving on Netter's for years; it seems like Thieme is for the anatomy grad students or anatomy professors.

i was totally gonna get the atlas only copy but now that you mentioned it, the CD sounds like a worthy investment.

I see there are two edition, one being a Latin Nomenclature edition. This is Latin Nomenclature as opposed to what nomenclature?