Test Tools THIEME Atlas of Anatomy Series

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thieme

Test Prep Exhibitor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In this thread, Thieme will be giving away one copy of each of the THIEME Atlas of Anatomy books to three lucky members. Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the products or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

General Anatomy and Musculoskeletal System
2006/555 pp./ 1,694 illus./softcover
ISBN 978-1-58890-387-7
Read an Excerpt from the Book
View Table of Contents
List Price: $69.95

Neck and Internal Organs
2006/372 pp./ 962 illus./softcover
ISBN 978-1-58890-443-0
View Table of Contents

Head and Neuroanatomy
2007/414 pp./ 1,182 illus./softcover
ISBN 978-1-58890-441-6
View Table of Contents

Use promo code STUD25 when ordering any of these books and get 25% off and FREE shipping until February 9, 2009.

Members don't see this ad.

In purchasing any of these books, the buyer will also have access to the WinkingSkull PLUS right?

I am especially interested in the Head and Neck books since I am planning on applying for ENT residency. How much of the atlas is devoted to CT and MRI imaging, as well as angiography? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do these books have anything that the DVD version of it doesn't have?

how often do you update these series of books? what types of updates do you do?

Dear SDN members:

Thanks for posting in our forum. Here are answers to your questions, please feel free to PM us with any further questions.

In purchasing any of these books, the buyer will also have access to the WinkingSkull PLUS right?

Yes, but these books do not currently contain a PLUS code. In order to obtain a PLUS code, please contact WinkingSkull customer support at [email protected]. They will confirm your purchase and give you a PLUS code.

.Do any of the atlases come with online access or iPhone compatible programs?.

We do not have iphone compatible programs at this time. However, we offer a free Anatomy study-aid that uses many of the same illustrations you will find in the Thieme Atlas series. To sign up for this free service, please go to WinkingSkull.com.

Thanks and keep posting!
Elliot @ Thieme

Dear SDN members:

Thanks for your questions! In answer to some of your more general queries, here's some more information about the Thieme Atlas of Anatomy (TAA) series.

The 3 books in the TAA series were developed as comprehensive learning and reference atlases. They contain award-winning artwork, schematics, tables, and descriptive text.

(For Yellow umbrella: ) These 3 books are in their 1st edition. Like with most scientific books, new editions follow approximately every 2-5 years, depending on demand. Based on the feedback we've gotten, people are pretty :) with the current editions so updates will generally consist of added radiographic data (more CTs and MRIs - we know you want more! :p) and corrections.

(For marvolush: ) The DVDs of the TAA series are image collections, containing the artwork from the book, but not the other pedagogical features. The DVDs should be used if you are interested in importing the images into your lectures, presentations, etc. They are not learning and reference tools in the way the books are.

Thanks for your posts and keep the questions coming.

Bridget @ Thieme

Dear SDN members (especially 02tigeralum):

The TAA series is not explicitly devoted to CT and MRI imaging of the head.

For that you should check out <<Dx-Direct>>, our new series of radiology books. These pocket-sized books contain the cases clinicians are most likely to see. :eek: For each problem, the book provides concise descriptions of epidemiology, etiology, imaging modality, findings, clinical presentation, treatment options, course, prognosis, differential diagnosis, and tips and pitfalls. You might want to check out Head and Neck Imaging in particular: http://www.thieme.com/SID2466153514364/productsubpages/pubid-352235067.html

However, TAA: Head & Neuroanatomy does contain a valuable resource: Chapter 10 is entirely devoted to the sectional anatomy of the head and neck (coronal, sagittal, and transverse). These images are immensely helpful when constructing the mental images you will need to later interpret CT and MRI images.

I am especially interested in the Head and Neck books since I am planning on applying for ENT residency. How much of the atlas is devoted to CT and MRI imaging, as well as angiography? Thanks.

Thanks for your questions. If there's anything else you need to know :confused:, just drop us a line!

Bridget @ Thieme

Are there study questions in these books, or are they mostly a collection of drawings/images?

Dear SDN members:

Thanks for your interest in the series!

(For scarletgirl777: ) The TAA series is an extensive atlas of anatomy, meaning that it consists of large, detailed illustrations that mirror what you will see in your anatomy lab. These illustrations are accompanied by more stylized schematics which help elucidate key anatomical concepts.:idea:

For example, on the spread concerning the celiac trunk (Vol. II: Neck and Internal Organs, p. 266), one page contains a large image of the upper abdomen with the liver retracted and the body of the stomach removed to reveal the celiac trunk and its branches. The accompanying page contains more simplified schematics which illustrate the distribution of the celiac trunk and some of its more complicated anatomical relations (i.e., the arterial supply to the pancreas).

All major anatomical concepts are treated this way (muscle schematics isolate the points of origin and insertion; nerve courses are shown in isolation; etc.). In addition, the figures are accompanied by brief captions which help to further elucidate the structures and relationships. The 3 TAA volumes are not review books with questions, but instead atlases that will help you learn and later reference human anatomy.

Are there study questions in these books, or are they mostly a collection of drawings/images?

Hope this helps :xf: - keep the questions coming!

Bridget @ Thieme

Is it possible that in the future Thieme will publish an atlas with head and neck anatomy specifically geared toward dental students?

I have the musculoskeletal system book. Are the other two books organize different? Are there electronic versions for PDA?

Dear SDN members:

Thanks for your interest in the series!

(For scarletgirl777: ) The TAA series is an extensive atlas of anatomy, meaning that it consists of large, detailed illustrations that mirror what you will see in your anatomy lab. These illustrations are accompanied by more stylized schematics which help elucidate key anatomical concepts.:idea:

For example, on the spread concerning the celiac trunk (Vol. II: Neck and Internal Organs, p. 266), one page contains a large image of the upper abdomen with the liver retracted and the body of the stomach removed to reveal the celiac trunk and its branches. The accompanying page contains more simplified schematics which illustrate the distribution of the celiac trunk and some of its more complicated anatomical relations (i.e., the arterial supply to the pancreas).

All major anatomical concepts are treated this way (muscle schematics isolate the points of origin and insertion; nerve courses are shown in isolation; etc.). In addition, the figures are accompanied by brief captions which help to further elucidate the structures and relationships. The 3 TAA volumes are not review books with questions, but instead atlases that will help you learn and later reference human anatomy.

Hope this helps :xf: - keep the questions coming!

Bridget @ Thieme
This post was very helpful, thank you!
Do the study questions available at winkingplus accompany the atlas of anatomy books?

Dear SDN member,

We have a Dental Atlas scheduled for release in early April of this year.

Thanks for your post,
Elliot @ Thieme

Dear SDN member,

Thanks for posting in our forum. Here are answer to your question:

I have the musculoskeletal system book. Are the other two books organize different? Are there electronic versions for PDA?

No, each book utilizes the same format in which each two-page spread presents a self-contained guide to the specific topic. Like the musculoskeletal system atlas, the two other book in the series use summary tables for reference and review.

Hope this helps!

Thanks again,

Elliot @ Thieme

With regard to the musculoskeletal system, are there any biomechanical correlations ('functional anatomy') in the book? Thanks.

This book is wonderful. I have used other books to try to learn the basics of neuro to no avail. I now feel like I can intelligently discuss the CN's and tracts because I have learned the material and not just memorized it. Neuroanatomy was the make or break subject in first year and I am glad that I made it. Way to go Thieme!

Status
Not open for further replies.