Test Tools THIEME Atlas of Anatomy Series

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thieme

Test Prep Exhibitor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

General Anatomy and Musculoskeletal System
By Schuenke et al.
$69.95
Preview a Sample Chapter

Neck and Internal Organs
By Schuenke et al.
$69.95
Preview a Sample Chapter

Head and Neuroanatomy
By Schuenke et al.
$69.95
Preview a Sample Chapter

More than 1, 600 exquisite illustrations provide a revolutionary way to learn anatomy

The THIEME Atlas of Anatomy is a revolution in the presentation of human anatomy. It combines topographical views of different body regions, in stunning detail and unprecedented clarity, with the more classical portrayals of isolated systems, in which the bony structure, vasculature, muscles, and nerves are assembled for the reader in a step-by-step logical sequence.

Thieme will be giving away one free copy of each of these products to three lucky numbers! Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion. Don't fret if you didn't win the raffle, members will receive a 15% discount on all books when they enter promo code UDOC15 during checkout on www.thieme.com.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How does this series differ from your other anatomy books?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any clinical pearls in your Head and Neuroanatomy atlas?

Are there radiographic images or just illustrations?

I heard someone say that these books are top notch if you are wanting to go into surgery. why would that be?? basically, what makes the Thieme series so top notch given all the other anatomy books out there?

An additional to the radiograph image question: are there also a lot of cross sectional plates or sections for review? These seem to be common in my current classes.

I think I've used or looked at almost every atlas out there. Although I own Sobotta and Rohen, I wish I owned this. The pictures are beautiful and the relationships between structures really come across clearly.

That is why I post in this thread every time we have test prep week. Eventually I may have to just buy this set.

Are there descriptions and discussions of the images, or is the book only for labeled images?

An additional to the radiograph image question: are there also a lot of cross sectional plates or sections for review? These seem to be common in my current classes.
The three-volume Scheunke et al: Thieme Atlas of Anatomy series has about 40 radiographic sections in total in the three volumes. These illustrate both normal anatomy and pathologic conditions and sometimes accompany cross sectional illustrations . The illustrative cross sectional anatomy is very strong with more than 100 cross-sectional illustrations, of which about half are of the head and neck.

How does this series differ from your other anatomy books?
The Gilroy et al. and the Baker are both based in part on the materials in the three-volume Thieme Atlas of Anatomy series. All of these books share the same two-page spread format for introducing/teaching anatomical concepts. The three-volume series is more of a text atlas and thus an even better resource for further study including surgical specialization and for one's professional book shelf.

The Baker unites the coverage of the head, neck, and neuroanatomy found in Volumes 2 and 3 of series reorganized, augmented with more material focused directly on dental medicine, and concluding with an enhanced section on sectional anatomy, both illustrative and radiologic. It is especially suited to anyone in dental medicine or with a focus on head and neck such as those entering ENT.

Gilroy et al. teaches anatomy with half the art in half the pages ( 2200 pieces instead of 3800 pieces in 625 pages instead of 1200 pages ). All spreads are new or reconceptualized; captions are pithy; key information is summarized in 200 tables; clinical coverage is highlighted in boxes; there is more extensive radiologic anatomy; and special spreads are devoted to surface anatomy. This is a focused learning tool. It would also make a good resource for one's professional book shelf.

The Moeller three-volume Pocket Atlas of Radiographic Anatomy ( MRI and CT) would be a good resource on its own or in addition to any of our gross anatomy titles. These books are full-color pocket (5 X 7.5 inch) books organized by body section. For example, the volume on Spine, Extremities, and Joints includes a section on extremities broken into upper and lower extremities, for which axial, sagittal, and coronal slices are shown for each structure (arm, shoulder, hand, elbow, etc.). Every two-page spread shows a MRI or CT on the left (with an accompanying diagram showing the orientation of the section on an illustration of that body part), paired with a color diagram of the same section identifying all the structures on the right.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any clinical pearls in your Head and Neuroanatomy atlas?
All three volumes have clinical pearls on virtually every page. Just review the extensive captions on any two-page spread to see this for yourself. For example, see p. 11, Fig. C, p. 12, Fig. C, p. 13, Fig. D, p. 14, Fig. B, p. 16, Figs. A, B, C, and p. 17, Fig. D, as just few examples. Or look at the functional anatomy with clinical coverage found on a number of spreads, such as pp. 122 and 123 on the lacrimal apparatus.

Are there radiographic images or just illustrations?
There are about 40 radiographic cross sectional images of pathologic and normal anatomy and more than 100 illustrative cross sections of sections of the body, of which more half are for the head, neck, and neuroanatomy in the three-volume series. For an example, see Volume 2, p. 96, Fig. 96, p.98, Figs. B and C, p. 112, Fig. A, p. 202 and 203, Figs. A and B for examples of the radiographic anatomy. For examples of the plentiful coverage of illustrative sectional anatomy, see Volume 3, pp. 156 to 169, pp. 292 to 315; Volume 2, p. 52 to 55.

I heard someone say that these books are top notch if you are wanting to go into surgery. why would that be?? basically, what makes the Thieme series so top notch given all the other anatomy books out there?
The Gilroy et al. and the Baker are both based in part on the materials in the three-volume Scheunke et al: Thieme Atlas of Anatomy (General Anatomy and Musculoskeletal System, Neck and Internal Organs, and Head and Neuroanatomy). All three books share the same two-page spread format for introducing/teaching anatomical concepts. The more extensive captions with clinical correlates included and the more extensive coverage of topics (especially neuroanatomy) make the three-volume series more of a text atlas and thus an even better resource for further study including surgical specialization and for one's professional book shelf.

These books look pretty solid, looks like they would be helpful for medical school and beyond.

Are there descriptions and discussions of the images, or is the book only for labeled images?
Yes, the three-volume Scheunke et al: Thieme Atlas of Anatomy series is distinguished by both its exceptional quality artwork and its meaty explanatory captions and summary tables, featuring clinical connections on every page. These make it almost a text atlas that really teaches the anatomy.

The presentation is intuitively arranged to simplify the learning process. Coverage of each region of the body begins with the skeletal framework and then adds muscles, vasculature, and nerves, and finally presents the topographic anatomy for a comprehensive overview ( building the layers and then putting it all together). Within each chapter, each two-page spread provides a self-contained guide to a specific anatomical topic. The flow of art and descriptive captions on a spread guides learning and absorption of information. Schematics are included to elucidate concepts.

My anatomy instructor said this was the best atlas out there. I'm not sure why were required to buy Netter instead, then.

In any case, I've never seen inside of this series before (aside from preview pages on the internet). Does it have comprehensive normal and pathologic radiology images (including MRI, PET, CT, etc.)?

My anatomy instructor said this was the best atlas out there. I'm not sure why were required to buy Netter instead, then.

In any case, I've never seen inside of this series before (aside from preview pages on the internet). Does it have comprehensive normal and pathologic radiology images (including MRI, PET, CT, etc.)?
No, this does have a small selection of normal or pathologic radiology images but only about 40 or 50 across the series. It does have over 100 sectional anatomy drawings with over half of these for the head and neck.

If you are looking for normal radiology images, please check out the [thread=694306]Pocket Atlas of Sectional Anatomy (3 volume series)[/thread]. These are three full-color pocket books organized by body section. For example, the volume on Spine, Extremities, and Joints includes a section on extremities broken into upper and lower extremities, for which axial, sagittal, and coronal slices are shown for each structure (arm, shoulder, hand, elbow, etc.). Every two-page spread shows a MRI or CT on the left (with an accompanying diagram showing the orientation of the section on an illustration of that body part), paired with a color diagram of the same section identifying all the structures on the right.

Great to hear that these books have clinical correlations. Are there any review questions in the books to go with the material from each chapter?

Great to hear that these books have clinical correlations. Are there any review questions in the books to go with the material from each chapter?
Review questions are not a feature of the three volume series, but there are review questions at the end of each unit in the single volume Gilroy atlas.

I own the muskuloskeletal text and really love it. However, I would appreciate some images more geared toward surgical approaches. any thieme books with a focus like this?

Are there examples of abnormal pathologies when talking about each section? Thanks!

what is in the neck and internal organs book. does this mean there are no internal organs in general anatomy book? does the general anatomy cover all the systems including head and neck?