thin envelope scare

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Barton, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Barton

Barton Senior Member

today I got a horrible scare. I was joking on the way to the mailbox about the rejections I've been getting (2 in the last 2 days). I opened up my mailbox, and there was this terribly thin envelope from the University of Iowa colloege of medicine. I about sh*% my pants, and tore the thing open only to find an "app complete" letter. Can't they just send a postcard for that type of thing? I about had a heart attack. Also, one other quick revelation: I have decided that I would rather receive anthrax in the mail than any more rejections. Who's with me?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. md2be06

md2be06 Senior Member

Hmm... rejections vs anthrax. Tough call. Well, since I don't work for the news media or postal service, and considering I'm not a politician, I think my chances of receiving anthrax are incredibly tiny.

4. SMW

SMW Grand Member

Same scare for me yesterday. Wash U sent a letter saying they'd received everything they needed to start processing my application, information I already knew as it's been on their staus check page for awhile.

5. E'01

E'01 1K Member

Medical Student
    yea me too SMW! I was about to start bawling my eyes out when I got Wash U's letter

6. SMW

SMW Grand Member

Well, I'm not sure I'd bawl, it's a reach school for me, but it wouldn't have been the type of medschool letter I'd like to get as my first after just getting both verified and my Aug. scores. An interview invite (from anywhere) would be nice.......

7. pre-hawkdoc

pre-hawkdoc Senior Member

Yeah, the same thing happened to me Friday, EXCEPT...
    I interviewed at Iowa last Thursday, so I've been anxiously anticipating either a "welcome to iowa" or a "nice try, loser" letter (I also was worried by the lack of thickness). so, after getting sweaty palms and acute tachycardia, I learned what I'd known for weeks--that my app was complete. :mad:

8. UCMonkey

UCMonkey Senior Member

Lets see ... anthrax vs. rejections. Hmmm... I think I'll take the anthrax. At least there's a cure for that. Unless any of you know of a cure for rejections. ;)

9. Chunk-ee

Chunk-ee Member

for all of us thin-letter dreaders, Case Western's acceptance letter was but two thin sheets of paper... so don't give up hope if you receive a measly looking envelope!

10. Gotrob

Gotrob Member

Attending Physician
    I was wondering what those letters were for. I interviewed at Iowa on Thursday, and on the way to our tour of the school, I noticed a secretary stuffing what looked like a couple hundred envelopes. I knew they were not interview invites, it seemed to late to be sending out the URL for the secondary app, and I also thought there were to many to be rejections....mystery solved, they were app complete notices.

11. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member

Yeah, wierd. I got the same envelope from Iowa yesterday, even though I got an app complete email on the 17th of September, an interview invite on Oct 5th, and my interview there tomorrow! In fact, I'm off to Iowa City right now--wish me luck!!!

12. SimulD

SimulD Senior Member

Don't throw away your skinny Tulane envelope ... the acceptance is just one page. And there isn't much printed on it.

Simul

13. 12R34Y

Attending Physician
    don't worry about the thin letter thing. My acceptance letter from University of Kansas was one sheet of paper. I have to admit, I was a little freaked out when i saw it too.

later

14. Ceelo

Ceelo Senior Member

I haven't received any envelopes yet but I have had several email scares. Luckily, they were all just to tell me that they had received my application. :)

15. aisha

aisha Senior Member

All these posts really show how much us, premeds, want to get in A school and how scared we are of rejections.. adcoms should read this site; theyll accept us all if they have a heart :)

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. gooloogooloo

gooloogooloo Senior Member

heard

18. Epi

Epi Fuzzy Tiger

Medical Student
    Heh, all the schools are probably only sending out thin letters now. Unless you have x-ray vision, I doubt you can tell a rejection by the how small or thin the envelope looks. It doesn't matter for me, I just rip any mail open I get and hope its good news.