things for pregnant moms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obiwan

Attending Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if guidelines for taking care of a pregnant mom is something that step will ask? i've gotten a few questions on UW about what do for them which i've gotten all wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it depends what you mean by "taking care of." In general, I think it's fair game. I think I had at least a couple of questions pertaining to pregnancy on my exam. I would especially know a bit about eclampsia, preeclampsia, lab tests for Down's Syndrome/neural tube defects/fragile X, what commonly used (or commonly tested) drugs are and are not safe during pregnancy, etc. I wouldn't go nuts with the details, but hitting the major points will probably serve you well.

Sorry to bump this old thread, it seems like some people got more or less number of pregnancy-related questions. So I was just wondering, are majority of questions about abnormality/pathology relating to pregnancy? How about normal maternal (pregnant) physiology?

Sorry to bump this old thread, it seems like some people got more or less number of pregnancy-related questions. So I was just wondering, are majority of questions about abnormality/pathology relating to pregnancy? How about normal maternal (pregnant) physiology?
I had a few questions about pregnancy related path--ectopic, abnormal placentation, probably a Q about AFP levels, but I don't think they'll be any questions about guidelines on routine testing in normal pregnancy--that's stuff they save for the OB clerkship and step 2

Members don't see this ad :)
Anecdotally, I got hammered on female repro including pregnancy questions.

May I ask are they like normal physiologic changes e.g. spider angiomata, increased cardiac output, systolic murmur, increased RBC mass, WBC, or abnormal pathologic changes e.g. preeclampsia, ectopic pregnancy, toxo? Thanks for input! I'll study both areas nonetheless, but would like to know the proportionate distribution.