Things/people that bother/annoy me in pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazybob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would just list few and ask if you guys see the same at your schools too.

1) People who think they must talk to each other during class about how it's boring when the professor is lecturing or when a student in the front row is trying to ask a question, and I can't hear because some @$$**** keeps talking.

2) People who keep saying "Omg, I'm gonna fail this test!" but end up making 90-95%. It gets especially annoying when I was so close to making an A and studied more than they did and was better prepared.

3) Multiple-choice tests where you can guess on so many without understanding anything and ace it, whereas people who study a lot and understand the stuff get confused and tricked into picking the wrong answers. People who understand the material get B's and C's while those who didn't study keep guessing and get an A.

4) People who like to ask "Is this going to be on the test?" just so they can try to goof off or not pay attention until class gets out. After they ask that question, they keep talking just because they sit in the back and think the professors can't hear them.

5) People who forget to turn their phones on silent/vibrate or even off. I used to think it was very annoying in college when people's cell phones went off. I thought pharmacy students were supposed to be different about that.

I should probably move to the other side of the class or sit somewhere in the front. But on the first week or so, we all sat in random places, and it's such a habit now that we don't want to sit anywhere else, and it's awkward if anyone changes seats.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
#3 is not true. There are such people that understand the material AND make As.

#6 (or 5?) ) People with a stick up their ass who complain about their entire class even though school just started.

#1 is true though. If it's boring you so much, go the **** somewhere else, asshat.

Members don't see this ad :)
The people who sat in the last row and ripped massive farts throughout pharmacology class.

The people who sat in the last row and ripped massive farts throughout pharmacology class.

guilty

my number one complaint:
people who bitch about how other people behave

Actually now that I think of it...the biggest complaint I have is a class with multiple instructors. Why can't they just have ONE professor teach ONE class instead of 10+ professors teaching ONE class? I hate that, its very hard for me to organize my notes. :rolleyes: Oh and instructors that can't speak any English is another complaint.

Actually now that I think of it...the biggest complaint I have is a class with multiple instructors. Why can't they just have ONE professor teach ONE class instead of 10+ professors teaching ONE class? I hate that, its very hard for me to organize my notes. :rolleyes: Oh and instructors that can't speak any English is another complaint.

It's for the best. When you get to upper level classes that teach a large variety of material (like pathophysiology and therapeutics), there is no longer one person who is an expert in all of it. I would never want our cardiology guy teaching us infectious disease.

Language, I 100% agree with you on.

yeah. it's hard to understand professors with accents even if i get used to them after a while. when they say one word in a way that i haven't heard before, it takes a while for me to figure out what the exact word is. and then they say something else and the process just keeps going and going.

and with having multiple instructors, some go slower than others and have to skip some material because they don't have enough lecturing days until the next professor starts.

Any professor with an accent bothers me, hell I'm Indian and I hate hearing the Indian accent.

The people I really hate are the ****ing medical school student pricks who are using the pharmacy school study rooms. *******s, you have your own rooms on the 2nd floor, I don't care if ours are bigger and more comfy and not freezing cold.

Just stop going to class. Do you really need powerpoints read to you?

You mentioned this in several threads, I remember reading this statement a bunch of times.

It must really depend on the school you attend, at our school there are no powerpoints and no textbooks for most classes.

The only way you know what has happened in class is by attending unless you want to waste time deciphering someone else's notes.

There is a second reason to attend class - you might forget something or miss an important announcement - when you are taking 9 classes per quarter things are bound to be forgotten and you can get seriously screwed.

So far, the best instructor I've had in grad school had an accent (as did the worst instructor I've had).

Also, you will quickly realize the benefit of having multiple professors for one class. It is better to have material taught by those who can be considered experts in their area than by someone clearly out of his/her element.

There is a second reason to attend class - you might forget something or miss an important announcement - when you are taking 9 classes per quarter things are bound to be forgotten and you can get seriously screwed.

A third reason I can think of is seeing a really pretty girl that you like and talking to her between classes :laugh:
and if you can sit next to her in class or even study with her afterwards, then :thumbup::thumbup: lol

sometimes when i study with a pretty girl i like, i tend to pay attention to her a lot and remember things that she told me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
A third reason I can think of is seeing a really pretty girl that you like and talking to her between classes :laugh:
and if you can sit next to her in class or even study with her afterwards, then :thumbup::thumbup: lol

sometimes when i study with a pretty girl i like, i tend to pay attention to her a lot and remember things that she told me :)

word.. making acquaintances with classmates has benefits galore .. people who are more organized / care more usually can tell me about deadlines or assignments i may have forgotten.

But wvu's point is valid as well, Im preparing to no longer attend classes and just watch the videotaped lectures or powerpoints online.

I don't pay attention to cute girls plus I believe it's better to keep all the relations with your classmates to strictly professional. :laugh:

If you want to look at someone cute that's what med school classes are for - I'm taking an elective in the school of medicine and hello hot med students :thumbup: :laugh:

word.. making acquaintances with classmates has benefits galore .. people who are more organized / care more usually can tell me about deadlines or assignments i may have forgotten.

But wvu's point is valid as well, Im preparing to no longer attend classes and just watch the videotaped lectures or powerpoints online.

yeah girls are usually good about being organized.

on that thing about not really going to class, do you get more out of studying by yourself instead of spending an hour in class? i think i would probably get a little confused reading the powerpoint notes, and i usually try to listen to everything the professor says instead of looking at the powerpoints in class. sometimes when the professor is just reading the slides, i end up daydreaming about a pretty girl in class :laugh: and then i have to try to pay attention to see if i've missed anything in those few minutes.

I don't pay attention to cute girls plus I believe it's better to keep all the relations with your classmates to strictly professional. :laugh:

If you want to look at someone cute that's what med school classes are for - I'm taking an elective in the school of medicine and hello hot med students :thumbup: :laugh:

i guess those hot med students would be more likely to be single, huh? :laugh:

people should date within their class. Apparently the maturity level is low that some people couldnt handle seeing a person they broke up with for a few years. Grow up people!!

I thought I would just list few and ask if you guys see the same at your schools too.

1) People who think they must talk to each other during class about how it's boring when the professor is lecturing or when a student in the front row is trying to ask a question, and I can't hear because some @$$**** keeps talking.

2) People who keep saying "Omg, I'm gonna fail this test!" but end up making 90-95%. It gets especially annoying when I was so close to making an A and studied more than they did and was better prepared.

3) Multiple-choice tests where you can guess on so many without understanding anything and ace it, whereas people who study a lot and understand the stuff get confused and tricked into picking the wrong answers. People who understand the material get B's and C's while those who didn't study keep guessing and get an A.

4) People who like to ask "Is this going to be on the test?" just so they can try to goof off or not pay attention until class gets out. After they ask that question, they keep talking just because they sit in the back and think the professors can't hear them.

5) People who forget to turn their phones on silent/vibrate or even off. I used to think it was very annoying in college when people's cell phones went off. I thought pharmacy students were supposed to be different about that.

I should probably move to the other side of the class or sit somewhere in the front. But on the first week or so, we all sat in random places, and it's such a habit now that we don't want to sit anywhere else, and it's awkward if anyone changes seats.

Since I attend your school:

1. Most of the professors won't put up with this. Most of this stopped before the first semester ended last year. Though I will say, there is ONE very boring professor who doesn't speak clearly and hardly anyone could hear last year. This professor compensates for the lack any lecturing skill by releasing a study guide before exams from which exam question are COPIED verbatim. Due to the dumbed down learning method - I think I retained the least from this professor. You'll know who I'm talking about soon enough. Anyway - talking was at its worst when this professor taught.

2. Those people are being dramatic. They clearly understood the challenge and apparently studied hard enough before the test for the grade they got.

3. Trust me, if this is actually going on, it will END when you take a Dr. Dunn test in Drug Info or Dispensing P2 year. People who don't study for his tests will flunk them. A good way to explain it is this: if you know 90% of Dr. Dunn's material for an exam - you can count on getting a "C".

4. When you get to Principles of Drug action, you'll appreciate the people who ask "will this be on the test?". Anything to thin out the insane amount of information presented is good. This is different than Dr. Dunn's classes where EVERYTHING covered in lecture is on the test in one way or another.

5. Funny you mention that. This year it has only happened once from students. I actually think last year that it was professor's phones going off more than students.

6. Seating, I think every class of students pick a spot to sit and generally sit with the same people every year. If you aren't sitting by people you enjoy studying with, you should consider doing that.

people should date within their class. Apparently the maturity level is low that some people couldnt handle seeing a person they broke up with for a few years. Grow up people!!

yeah i heard that at my school. especially when you sit in the same class room or the same type as the previous year, people feel awkward about finding a different seat, so they'll sit in the exact same place around exact same people. they said "so when you date someone, you sit next to them, but after you break up, you still sit next to each other, and it's awkward."

It has absolutely nothing to do with the maturity level, it can just be very emotionally painful or even ugly.

Imagine having to be in the same class with someone who broke your heart, no matter how mature you are - it will still suck.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the maturity level, it can just be very emotionally painful or even ugly.

Imagine having to be in the same class with someone who broke your heart, no matter how mature you are - it will still suck.

that wouldnt bother me in the least... people go their separate ways and move on, you know?

that wouldnt bother me in the least... people go their separate ways and move on, you know?

I will have to agree with Cheburashka on this one. If you date someone in your class everyone will be gossiping about you...when you break up its going to get worst. I don't think I want other people talking about my personal life. Just a thought. Dating Med or Law students nearby is a much better idea.

it takes a lot of effort to actually move on and go your separate ways after you get out of a relationship that has meant so much to you. usually the best way to move on is to change the setting and not see each other for a while, but when you're in the same class, it's nearly impossible and takes a very long time.

You only say that because you haven't had your heart destroyed by your classmate.

There is a difference between casual dating and messing around beind madly in love with somebody/seriously dating.

In the first case, why not - in the second, I wish not even my enemy to be in the position like that.

Again - it has nothing to do with maturity and moving on, imagine your mother died - are you really going to be able to be all shiny and bright the next day and "mature" about it? That's what it felt to me to loose someone I loved. Now you see how maturity has nothing to do with it, it's the intensity of the feelings.

I just don't understand the need to mess around with someone from your class - when you have an entire school at your will.

Don't commit pharmacest, at least not in your own class. If you're P2, date a P1, etc. If you guys break up in a bad way, you don't need the entire class to find out about it.

Keep relations strictly professional? I don't know about that, we go out to parties together all the time here. Last party half of them were playing beer pong while I was watching while smoking hookah. :cool:

I kinda came up with a game with the hookah.

Person 1 takes a puff and holds their breath until Person 2 is done inhaling, then Person 2 holds their breath until Person 1 is done, and you just keep going back and forth until someone can't handle the lightheadedness anymore.

I'm actually glad my ex-girlfriend lives 45 miles away from me. Sure, there's the chance that I might run into her now and then at the mosque, but holy hell if I had to see her every day after the break up. It's probably been for the better that I've rarely talked to her since even though we're still "friends" .

Don't commit pharmacest, at least not in your own class. If you're P2, date a P1, etc. If you guys break up in a bad way, you don't need the entire class to find out about it.

Keep relations strictly professional? I don't know about that, we go out to parties together all the time here. Last party half of them were playing beer pong while I was watching while smoking hookah. :cool:

I kinda came up with a game with the hookah.

Person 1 takes a puff and holds their breath until Person 2 is done inhaling, then Person 2 holds their breath until Person 1 is done, and you just keep going back and forth until someone can't handle the lightheadedness anymore.

I'm actually glad my ex-girlfriend lives 45 miles away from me. Sure, there's the chance that I might run into her now and then at the mosque, but holy hell if I had to see her every day after the break up. It's probably been for the better that I've rarely talked to her since even though we're still "friends" .

Pharmacest... haha nice. Anyways, your hookah game sounds dangerous....and uh, carcinogenic. Beer pong is good, clean fun.

Just stop going to class. Do you really need powerpoints read to you?

I had better uses for my time. I played alot of golf. I learned how to read when I was four. I do not need someone to read to me.

One of my hospital rotations was so boring I spent more time putting Christmas lights up on my house than I did at the hospital.

Damn I miss college!

but what if you try to keep it quiet by not sitting right next to each other in class and just talk in between classes and spend time together outside of school? would it still be easy for people to notice?

but what if you try to keep it quiet by not sitting right next to each other in class and just talk in between classes and spend time together outside of school? would it still be easy for people to notice?

Let me explain something to you that you may not have realized after only 6 or so weeks of pharmacy school. Pharmacy school is EXACTLY like high school when it comes to the gossiping, rumors, and talking about people behind their back. If you start dating someone from your class, you can be assured that people will figure it out and will talk about it. If you don't care what they say/think, then go for it.

Let me explain something to you that you may not have realized after only 6 or so weeks of pharmacy school. Pharmacy school is EXACTLY like high school when it comes to the gossiping, rumors, and talking about people behind their back. If you start dating someone from your class, you can be assured that people will figure it out and will talk about it. If you don't care what they say/think, then go for it.

i have noticed things like
  • a rumor that might spread when someone thinks some girl is a b****
  • there was some guy in my class who told people that i thought some girl was dumb when i didn't even say that or talk about her to anyone
  • people talk about one married couple in my class that always sits at the back corner and people think it's weird that the couple keeps almost everything to themselves

but i haven't heard much about people talking crap behind each other's backs. sometimes we talk about how we thought someone was smart and funny and generally agree on that, but it's been kinda rare to hear someone say "i really don't like that guy. he's suck a f***ing prick" i've heard that only once so far.

The P2s only have 64 students, the P1s have 75 students, if **** happens people are gonna find out.

The P2s only have 64 students, the P1s have 75 students, if **** happens people are gonna find out.

my P1 class is 120, so i thought maybe people would be less likely to find out. there are people from 10-15 different undergrad colleges here. i know the faces of about 80 and have talked to maybe 40-50.

Nobody really cares about your relationship issues.

Nobody really cares about your relationship issues.

yeah a lot of people seem to be good about keeping things to themselves and not really gossiping. they're usually older and already married. but ones that are straight out of college or haven't finished college and started pharmacy school tend to do that.

people don't really care, but they talk about it if it happened between two of their friends.

Some people never do. I've cut some girls out of my life over the past 3 years that to this day they still HAVE to know what is going on in my life. Needless to say, girls are on the bottom of my list of priorities right now. So, my words of wisdom:

1: Never date within your class. Hell, I would go as far as never dating within my major. If it gets messy, you will be trapped with her/him for years until you graduate. People will talk. People will try to take advantage and catch you on the rebound. Sometimes, these will be people below your level.

2: Never socialize outside of your level. If you're good enough to get into pharmacy school, don't waste your time with people you KNOW will never amount to anything. Don't even acknowledge their existence, because sometimes people see "being polite" as "wow, he likes me!" I'm in my mid 20s, and I had a f*cking sophomore last year think that I was interested in her just because I was being polite, so f*ck that nonsense before they start stalking you. You're in pharmacy school. You can do better.

3: Never forget why you are in school: to get an education and have a career. Grades come first. Anyone that does not understand that can go f*ck themselves.

Some people never do. I've cut some girls out of my life over the past 3 years that to this day they still HAVE to know what is going on in my life. Needless to say, girls are on the bottom of my list of priorities right now. So, my words of wisdom:

1: Never date within your class. Hell, I would go as far as never dating within my major. If it gets messy, you will be trapped with her/him for years until you graduate. People will talk. People will try to take advantage and catch you on the rebound. Sometimes, these will be people below your level.

2: Never socialize outside of your level. If you're good enough to get into pharmacy school, don't waste your time with people you KNOW will never amount to anything. Don't even acknowledge their existence, because sometimes people see "being polite" as "wow, he likes me!" I'm in my mid 20s, and I had a f*cking sophomore last year think that I was interested in her just because I was being polite, so f*ck that nonsense before they start stalking you. You're in pharmacy school. You can do better.

3: Never forget why you are in school: to get an education and have a career. Grades come first. Anyone that does not understand that can go f*ck themselves.

That's a little elitist.

My ex understood about my education and how it had priority over her since her brother, sister, and sister-in-law are pharmacists.

But I'm glad she's not in my class though because I hate her guts right now. After we broke up we were supposed to be friends, but she doesn't even return my occasional text. The thing she did that REALLY pissed me off is that when my parakeet got hurt, I called her to find out what to do since she has parakeet. She didn't even return the message even though it was a frikkin emergency, the thing was really hurt. A supposed animal lover and she can't even give a call back for the sake of the poor bird.

My university has a policy that professors can confiscate cell phones from students for any reason. Let's just say we had a certain professor who confiscated a ringing phone, answered it, and now a students mom is convinced her son is gay.

Turn those damn things off!

Wow. Just wow.

Ok, but what about this though:
  • I'm a P1 and almost 22 (one more month until I'm 22).
  • The girl I'm interested in is a P2 and already 22 (she's two months older than me).
  • There are only two or three people in my P1 class who actually know the girl and to everyone else in the P1 class, the girl I like is just some random P2 student.
  • But, in the P2 class, about 5 people know who I am.
  • I'd imagine that almost everyone in the P2 class would know the girl I like.
  • In the P3 class, there are 10 people who know me and that girl i like.
  • That means about 20 people in the whole school would know me and the girl I like.
and so, if I ended up dating her and if for some reason things didn't go well, could it still get messy, or would it be just ok in this case?

Ok, but what about this though:
  • I'm a P1 and almost 22 (one more month until I'm 22).
  • The girl I'm interested in is a P2 and already 22 (she's two months older than me).
  • There are only two or three people in my P1 class who actually know the girl and to everyone else in the P1 class, the girl I like is just some random P2 student.
  • But, in the P2 class, about 5 people know who I am.
  • I'd imagine that almost everyone in the P2 class would know the girl I like.
  • In the P3 class, there are 10 people who know me and that girl i like.
  • That means about 20 people in the whole school would know me and the girl I like.
and so, if I ended up dating her and if for some reason things didn't go well, could it still get messy, or would it be just ok in this case?

I swear, you kids and the whole thinking about the negative stuff...

Are you that much of a child that you can't concentrate in a class if an exgirlfriend/boyfriend is in class with you?

I swear, you kids and the whole thinking about the negative stuff...

Are you that much of a child that you can't concentrate in a class if an exgirlfriend/boyfriend is in class with you?

This is a deragatory statement I didn't expect from someone who is "an admissions" member, in other words if you are smart enough to be on the admissions you shouldn't throw around silly statements like this.

I've explained over and over above, that being a "child" as you put it has nothing to do with feeling uncomfortable about having your ex in your class.

Mature adults can feel heart broken too and since we are all human beings and not logical emotionless creatures from planet Vulcan, yes, I imagine one might have a hard time concentrating in class when your ex is a few feet away.

This is a deragatory statement I didn't expect from someone who is "an admissions" member, in other words if you are smart enough to be on the admissions you shouldn't throw around silly statements like this.

I've explained over and over above, that being a "child" as you put it has nothing to do with feeling uncomfortable about having your ex in your class.

Mature adults can feel heart broken too and since we are all human beings and not logical emotionless creatures from planet Vulcan, yes, I imagine one might have a hard time concentrating in class when your ex is a few feet away.

There's a reason people call it an "ex", get over it. I would expect a childish remark from someone much younger with less life experience than I do.

I guess admissions members are not supposed to have feelings and thoughts, oops.

There's a reason people call it an "ex", get over it. I would expect a childish remark from someone much younger with less life experience than I do.

I guess admissions members are not supposed to have feelings and thoughts, oops.

1. You can't always get over emotional loss instanteneously, you probably haven't lost many people and don't know the feelings. Hence being in class with ex may be painful and the reason for my advice to be professional with your classmates.

2. Admissions people can have whatever they want, you'd just think their thoughts would be rational and logical instead of just straight up judgemental deragatory crap.

My ex understood about my education and how it had priority over her since her brother, sister, and sister-in-law are pharmacists.

But I'm glad she's not in my class though because I hate her guts right now. After we broke up we were supposed to be friends, but she doesn't even return my occasional text. The thing she did that REALLY pissed me off is that when my parakeet got hurt, I called her to find out what to do since she has parakeet. She didn't even return the message even though it was a frikkin emergency, the thing was really hurt. A supposed animal lover and she can't even give a call back for the sake of the poor bird.

Don't worry. What you're feeling right now is perfectly normal. Just know time heals almost everything. :)

1. You can't always get over emotional loss instanteneously, you probably haven't lost many people and don't know the feelings. Hence being in class with ex may be painful and the reason for my advice to be professional with your classmates.

2. Admissions people can have whatever they want, you'd just think their thoughts would be rational and logical instead of just straight up judgemental deragatory crap.

I never said anything derogatory to you, I just gave you advice from someone who's lived much longer than you have.

My university has a policy that professors can confiscate cell phones from students for any reason. Let's just say we had a certain professor who confiscated a ringing phone, answered it, and now a students mom is convinced her son is gay.

Turn those damn things off!

WTF kind of Mickey Mouse organization thinks its ok to "confiscate" other peoples' property? If a professor tried to steal my phone, I'd physically get it back. That's my phone, not the school's.

Let's be honest. You work in academia. Academia is a fantasy world that makes people unprepared for the real world. So, yes, being sequestered in said fantasy world means that you're experience doesn't count. And in the real world, people form emotional attachments to others. And a psychosexual attachment is incredibly hard to break free from. It might take months...years...especially if you have to see that person every day without a choice otherwise. Her concerns are legitimate.