Things that med schools frown upon???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epicness

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like taking summer courses (in my case im taking general chem 2 and lab). Im only taking one so will it affect me? I know they do not like light credit loads.

Also, is it bad splitting 2 semester courses between schools/campuses? because Im splitting 4 courses(general chem, general bio, physics, and organic chem) due to me transferring from seton hall to rutgers newark then to rutgers new brunswick. I mean i dont think it really matters as long as you get A's at both schools.

example of splitting courses :
taking bio 1 at seton hall and then taking bio 2 at rutgers newark
or
taking organic chem 1 at rutgers newark and taking organic chem 2 at rutgers new brunsick

Im currently ending my freshman year going to sophomore year and im going crazy trying to get my schedule and pre reqs in order for the joint programs at rutgers.

Members don't see this ad.

Like taking summer courses (in my case im taking general chem 2 and lab). Im only taking one so will it affect me? I know they do not like light credit loads.

Also, is it bad splitting 2 semester courses between schools/campuses? because Im splitting 4 courses(general chem, general bio, physics, and organic chem) due to me transferring from seton hall to rutgers newark then to rutgers new brunswick. I mean i dont think it really matters as long as you get A's at both schools.

example of splitting courses :
taking bio 1 at seton hall and then taking bio 2 at rutgers newark
or
taking organic chem 1 at rutgers newark and taking organic chem 2 at rutgers new brunsick

Im currently ending my freshman year going to sophomore year and im going crazy trying to get my schedule and pre reqs in order for the joint programs at rutgers.

Don't worry too much about it. I took a couple classes in summer school as well (biology 101 and lab) and it all worked out okay for me. I also took a lighter course load due to switching my major near the end of my 2nd year. I wanted to be sure I could get A's in my classes and I didn't want to pile them up like others did to "prove" they could take a heavier load. It added on an extra year to my undergrad career, but i wouldn't take it back in a second. I did well in all my classes and it was definitely because i planned my schedules well. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
most welcome, epicness. Stay away from that stuff

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing. I have taken a light course load (12-14 credits) my entire time in college and have taken 1 science class each summer. I have nearly a 4.0 so I'm hoping that will offset any doubts in my course load...

im still doubtful about splitting my 2 semester pre reqs..

Heavy courseload with GPA of 3.6 < "Light" courseload with GPA 3.9-4.0

I think 12 credits might be too light though. In the end, the grades count.

I had a light courseload all throughout college (12-14 units, quarter system) but I maintained a high GPA -> result: Accepted to two top 10 schools. Keep Your Grades Up. :thumbup:

im still doubtful about splitting my 2 semester pre reqs..

i did that with gen chem and physics (I transferred after freshman year as well). it never seemed to be an issue with medical schools - honestly, i think that as long as the schools you are attending are reasonable then it is not a problem.

edit: now that i think about it, i took physics 1 and gen chem 1 at my first school, gen chem 2 over the summer at a community college, then took physics 2 at the third school. a "double split" in your lingo...

saying the phrase "cool story bro!" out loud via words on a computer monitor.

Cool-Dog-Hey-Cool-story-bro41.jpg

phew now im at ease and confident in taking a summer course and transfering from school to school while splitting courses..

and as for the other unhelpful replies ,"cool story bro", /b/*****...

rude namecalling and other disrespectful bx.

phew now im at ease and confident in taking a summer course and transfering from school to school while splitting courses..

and as for the other unhelpful replies ,"cool story bro", /b/*****...

How about name calling? They definetely don't like that. This question is constantly asked. Use the search feature.

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing. I have taken a light course load (12-14 credits) my entire time in college and have taken 1 science class each summer. I have nearly a 4.0 so I'm hoping that will offset any doubts in my course load...

Although a good GPA is something worth noting. Let's not neglect the fact that you have less units under your belt. I've known a few friends that got into med schools but their list of extra curricular actives were extraordinary. Bottom line is that if you've got less credits and barely over full time , your app must be filled with lots of extra curricular. Think about it this way, if you're not spending most of your time studying for classes (taking a course load of 16-25 units) then what are you spending your time one ?
Best of luck

Why would a school think poorly of summer courses? lol That's kind of funny. I'd tell an interview committee to kiss my ass if they blew steam about my MANY summer courses. If the school is that uptight I wouldn't last there anyway.

Although a good GPA is something worth noting. Let's not neglect the fact that you have less units under your belt. I've known a few friends that got into med schools but their list of extra curricular actives were extraordinary. Bottom line is that if you've got less credits and barely over full time , your app must be filled with lots of extra curricular. Think about it this way, if you're not spending most of your time studying for classes (taking a course load of 16-25 units) then what are you spending your time one ?
Best of luck

16-25??? what calendar is your school on to make that range possible?