Things to do before deployment overseas???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aatrek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Members don't see this ad.

even if you aren't going to the desert. Also power of attorney with wife or someone else that is trusted.

If you are on a ship, buy an xbox and a bunch of DVDs.

this seems like a no-brainer, but make sure your finances are in order. Know what bills you have, when they are due and how much. Make a list of those, and all pertinant account info and phone numbers. Give the list to a trusted person who will be taking care of stuff for you (who has a power of attourney) and keep a copy for yourself. Automatic payments are a great way to deal with this stuff. Also, make sure that this person has access to money to pay these bills (joint account, checks, whatever).

Members don't see this ad :)
Your lawyer will warn you, but be careful with powers of attorney. A general power of attorney should be only given to someone you trust completely, because for legal purposes, they're you and can do what they want with your affairs.

Hey Moose, I'm back in WA. Bad month.

I usually have my troops do limited power of attorney so their soon to be ex-wife (when they don't know about an impending divorce), may go out and buy a mustang on their credit.

The general power of attorney should only go to someone who you trust with everything, without a doubt. I've had many sailors get screwed over by parents who manage their checking accounts/bills while deployed. It's amazing at some of the drama that happens to our kids when they are overseas by "loved ones."

Also, stowage of vehicles is important. Some MWRs will store it and crank it up weekly for you. At least if it gets stolen while you are gone someone will notice it missing.

At least one navy doc that I know needed to bring his own body armor to the middle eastern party. I think the shortage is over, but if you are on the ground, it would be something that is good to know about.

My wife pretty much ran the house while I was gone, but some spouses may have never gone through a deployment and can handle the pressure of being responsible for everything. Parental involvement may help.

OP did not provide maritial status but nonetheless update your SGLI and will. Check-in with the unit you are deploying with or personnel/admin office on base. Explain that you are deploying and need support, there is an entire checklist of things to do. Try to have everything done before you arrive where you are going. It can be done when you get there but that is a really bad impression.

I think the original poster is confused about terminology. From his previous posts it looks like he is being assigned overseas instead of deploying. He has mentioned previously that he will be going to Okinawa with the Navy.

Not that these deployment tips aren't helpful, but I don't think that he will have to worry much about some of the things that deployed servicemembers do, like maintaining a home, vehicles, bill payments, etc.

Bouncing a check in Oki = prison :eek:

Croatalus_atrox said:
I think the original poster is confused about terminology. From his previous posts it looks like he is being assigned overseas instead of deploying. He has mentioned previously that he will be going to Okinawa with the Navy.

Not that these deployment tips aren't helpful, but I don't think that he will have to worry much about some of the things that deployed servicemembers do, like maintaining a home, vehicles, bill payments, etc.

Ok, Croatalus_atrox, here we go again with overstatements !!!
I might be confused about some things in life, but there is no confusion in the fact that people on this forum need to relax and if unable to say something good then be profession and stay quiet.

The post was first made actually to help out a friend of mine, however, after I realized that I did not know his whole assignment details I tried to remove it, but was unable. Thus the EMPTY posting on my part..

Nevertheless, seems some people have found the topic interesting. Just before we start attacking each other, lets realize that there is more than one reason to ask a question and give each other the benefit of the doubt..

Thanks
A.