Things to do between med school and residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starbuckscoffee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have ideas for entertaining yourself between the end of med school and residency (besides travel because I don't really like traveling and don't want to spend the money to do it) ?

I thought I'd be okay just hanging out with friends, watching movies, sleeping a lot, and doing nothing. However, I haven't had a rotation since February and now I'm bored out of my mind.

Productive or non-productive suggestions are welcomed.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have ideas for entertaining yourself between the end of med school and residency (besides travel because I don't really like traveling and don't want to spend the money to do it) ?

I thought I'd be okay just hanging out with friends, watching movies, sleeping a lot, and doing nothing. However, I haven't had a rotation since February and now I'm bored out of my mind.

I hear ya! Im bored out of my mind too....I just took step 3 and waiting to get the results. Maybe you should study for step 3 and get it over with early...that way you'll also know what to do as a resident.

I want to just rotate voluntarily with a doctor. Maybe that will cure me!

But rest up while you can, go on a vacation somewhere, etc, you could volunteer in Haiti or go somwhere fun, spend your last months with family, because soon enough, you'll be stuck as a resident with only up to a month of vacation per year.

Good luck! Hope you find something you like to do.

Maybe you can get a job at Starbucks.

memorize ACLS algorithms!!!!!

I wish my school was such a laid back schedule. I won't have time to breath between graduating and starting residency. I'll be able to move and not much else.

I hear ya! Im bored out of my mind too....I just took step 3 and waiting to get the results. Maybe you should study for step 3 and get it over with early...that way you'll also know what to do as a resident.

I want to just rotate voluntarily with a doctor. Maybe that will cure me!

But rest up while you can, go on a vacation somewhere, etc, you could volunteer in Haiti or go somwhere fun, spend your last months with family, because soon enough, you'll be stuck as a resident with only up to a month of vacation per year.

Good luck! Hope you find something you like to do.

I thought about taking Step 3, but I can't begin the registration process until after I graduate in mid-May. I posted another thread asking if anyone has had success getting approved to take the test by mid-June after graduating that May. I would love to get Step 3 out of the way and to have a nice review of medicine before internship.

spend 1 month in vegas, backpacking through europe

I thought about taking Step 3, but I can't begin the registration process until after I graduate in mid-May. I posted another thread asking if anyone has had success getting approved to take the test by mid-June after graduating that May. I would love to get Step 3 out of the way and to have a nice review of medicine before internship.

Maybe you could at least study for it or even take a class by premier review or kaplan or something in the meantime (it takes time to get your score up..it isn't an easy test at all) and then take it when you are able to.
You could possibly at least take practice tests to assess your readiness via the NBME website, or usmle123.com or usmleworld. I'm sure you may want to at least spent a month on studying for it if not more.

Maybe you could at least study for it or even take a class by premier review or kaplan or something in the meantime (it takes time to get your score up..it isn't an easy test at all) and then take it when you are able to.
You could possibly at least take practice tests to assess your readiness via the NBME website, or usmle123.com or usmleworld. I'm sure you may want to at least spent a month on studying for it if not more.

Having taken step 3, I would say that yes, you could start reading for it. However, a lot depends on how much you want to put in right now. Somehow, knowing that I am going to be tied down for the next 5-6 years (I am going into IM and then a fellowship), I just dont feel like studying ANYTHING MAJOR for the next 2 months.

This is an honest opinion - if you feel there is something you wanted to do in life and never got around to doing it till now, DO IT. With those ridiculous 3 weeks of vacation that need to be taken separately, you are probably not going to get much time to explore anything you really wanted to, in the next few years. So treat this like a 2 month vacation, and ask yourself, what would I like to do if I had two whole months to myself?

Anouncer Guy: Touchdown you've just finished medical school: What are you going to do now?

Touchdown: Im going to Disney World!
2661692252_1f3f84cf22.jpg

Are you kidding? Everyone I know says it's a very expensive joke.

Are you kidding? Everyone I know says it's a very expensive joke.

I heard PR is pretty good, (I used it) but you have to go over the material 4-5 times so it sinks in unless you have a photographic memory. It's much cheaper than kaplan and has a home study course. But don't do it if you don't trust it. I heard it is good from a lot of people.

If you don't want to take a course, it's just as easy to just go through Usmleworld several times or read books like crush step 3 or master the boards. I don't know how else you'd gain step 3 knowledge. That's how most people are studying for it these days I think. A lot of my friends just did UW over and over a few times and passed it (but they're in FP so its easy stuff for them)

I personally thought step 3 was tough and so do many others, including AMG's. Check out others opinions on the USMLE step 3 forum of this website to get a good estimate of how much to study, because everyone's different. I heard that if you did well on step 2 you'll probably do well on step 3, but you still probably need to study because they're two totally different tests.