Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Things to do freshmen year

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NYU2006, Nov 19, 2002.

1. NYU2006

NYU2006 New Member

This is more or less my first post here on this board. It looks like an environment conducive to legitimate advising and more importantly, a FUN place.

Ok, I'm not even done with 1st semester and I'm already looking for the extra stuff that I need to get done to get myself prepped for medical school. Most importantly, what type of medical experience would be best to get noticed at some of the more selective medical schools (hopefully I'll be applying to some of them)? Any other general recommendations of things to do early in the collegiate career?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. An Yong

An Yong Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Eat and sleep frequently.

4. SubSpring

SubSpring Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

hehe so true
    do what interests you. researched, volunteer at a hospital. if isn't in your interest, are you ready to bust your hump for 4-8 years of med school and the rest of your life?

5. Welcome NYU2006 :)

You should try to get involved with some volunteer work. Perhaps at a hospital in the area. From my experience hospitals are always looking for volunteers. It will give you an opportunity to meet doctors, and if you stick with it perhaps a letter of recomendation in the future. Medical schools love to see students that participate in a certain EC over a long period of time, rather then jumping from one to another. Also, a problem I had in my freshman year was overextending myself and getting involved in too many activities at once. Try to get involved in a few that you really enjoy, so that you will have time to keep your grades up and enjoy the college experience. Good luck with everything:)
    -jkway

6. SunnyS81

SunnyS81 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    1) Get laid.
    2) Go out and have a good time frequently.
    3) Stop visiting this site. You are only likely to end up as an indistinguishable applicant if you model what others are doing in seeking advise in regards to extracurriculars and research. The discussions are unlikely to aid you soon, unless you are going to transfer or change majors suddenly because somone said xxxx school has a 99% admission rate and xxxx majors are most likely to get in. Come back your junior year at the earliest.
    4) Do what you enjoy...........unless you are a chump, you'll end up as a good applicant.
    5) Ignore most the advise on this site. You'll end up centering your life too much around med school admissions. The two months that I thought about it nonstop was bad enough.......I couldn't imagine worrying freshman year.

7. abw

abw Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey!
    I'm assuming you go to nyu from your name - i went there for my first semester. There are a lot of opportunities open to you in the middle of ny! at the beginning of the year i remember they had a volunteer fair where you could join all sort of groups to get volunteer experience (like the american cancer society) also they had a pre-med club that held study sessions for all the major pre-med exams - i'm sure older people in that club could give you specific advice from their experiences. Also make an appointment with the pre-med advisor, when i was there, he wasn't too receptive to meeting with anyone before junior year, but if you were willing to wait for an appointment, he did give good advice. Non-medically related, live it up in the city while you have the chance and take as many courses outside of your major as possible (esp. classes with smaller numbers - i remember having to ask my chem prof. for a recommendation and there were 350 people in the class!!) Sit back and relax and enjoy everything - I think med schools are more interested in if you made the most of your undergrad experience than if you fit the perfect pre-med canditate mold.

8. BEETLEVH

BEETLEVH Member
    7+ Year Member

Listen, just focus on doing well your freshman year and having fun while you're doing it. Many people, including myself, deeply regret bad grades freshman year. Some other regret not having fun. Go out, have fun, and keep med school in the back of your mind. Don't freak out about it now cause theres no point and its too early. Volunteer in something if you want but do stuff that you enjoy!