Things to keep in mind when selecting GPRs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phremius

Dentist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I'm a resident at a GPR program, I just want to give all you prospective applicants who are filling out PASS/MATCH apps right now a few things to keep in mind:

1) When visiting/interviewing a program, make sure to speak with the current residents, if they are not willing to allow you meet the residents or provide their contact informations, BE VERY AWARE as they can present their program whichever way they want, and once you sign that contract all bets are off.

2) Ask specific production and procedures, particularly regarding fix prosthetics. If the program offers implants, ask to see the production numbers from last year's residents on exactly how many implants were placed, etc.

3) Do a walk-through or observation of the clinic during clinic hours! If the interviews/tours are on the weekends or after hours, again caveat emptor as you will not get a completely accurate feel for the place.

4) Get specifics on what is expected of the residents in terms of lab work, and make sure to verify that information with current residents.

5) More as they come to mind. But overall take everything that's said with a grain of salt and be astute. It's a shark-infested world out there and not everyone has your best interest in mind!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's very important to ask the residents what they think are the weakest points of the program cause it requires a more honest answer.

I have a number of friends who are in residencies all over North America, and so far, with the exception of one, they all regret choosing their residencies. The reasons range from programs lying about what they offer to pay issues to lack of concern for residents.

I like mine - they all wished they applied to mine. :D

This is not an advertisement for my program. I just want to make sure I do not give the wrong impression that I do not like my program. I like it - it fits me as it provides exactly what I am looking for and what I do not want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I said, not advertising for my program. If you look at past threads, you can figure out where I am.

so I'm a resident at a GPR program, I just want to give all you prospective applicants who are filling out PASS/MATCH apps right now a few things to keep in mind:

1) When visiting/interviewing a program, make sure to speak with the current residents, if they are not willing to allow you meet the residents or provide their contact informations, BE VERY AWARE as they can present their program whichever way they want, and once you sign that contract all bets are off.

2) Ask specific production and procedures, particularly regarding fix prosthetics. If the program offers implants, ask to see the production numbers from last year's residents on exactly how many implants were placed, etc.

3) Do a walk-through or observation of the clinic during clinic hours! If the interviews/tours are on the weekends or after hours, again caveat emptor as you will not get a completely accurate feel for the place.

4) Get specifics on what is expected of the residents in terms of lab work, and make sure to verify that information with current residents.

5) More as they come to mind. But overall take everything that's said with a grain of salt and be astute. It's a shark-infested world out there and not everyone has your best interest in mind!

Thanks for all the tips - I think these are very helpful to those interviewing. How does one know if a program is a "good fit"? Is it really more about finding a "good fit" or are there a lot of programs that are really flat out malignant? You said that some programs don't have your best interest in mind...so why is it in their best interest to not do so?

Thanks for all the tips - I think these are very helpful to those interviewing. How does one know if a program is a "good fit"? Is it really more about finding a "good fit" or are there a lot of programs that are really flat out malignant? You said that some programs don't have your best interest in mind...so why is it in their best interest to not do so?

Here is my 2 cents on picking a gpr/aegd. I got burned on my selection and consider it a waste of 1 year of my life and $50-100k. LOOK at the current residents schedule. I mean really look....what are they doing. Are the staff prosthodontists putting all of their restorative work in the residents book.... are the residents spending a large percentage of their time in exam room? Exactly how many endo's, FPD's, FBI's, implants, perio surgeries are the doing????? Count! Do not believe what the res director says.....VERIFY.
Have a goal of X number of RCTS, units of fixed, Number of shucked teeth- make sure the os resident isn't sucking up all the 3rds. Nothing blows more than getting stuck sucking spit for a 2nd year Os resident and never being allowed to improve your skills.
Its been a year and a half since i completed my disappointing aegd and i still feel my blood pressure spiking when I look back at my experience.

Where did you do your AEGD at so that future applicants don't have to go through that? Sounds terrible.