Things to Know when choosing a Dental School..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparrow5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all you pre-dents out there,
First and foremost, I want to preface this by saying that this is not necessarily meant to be a discouraging thread, but certainly to be an eye opener. As impressive and intelligent as most of yall are, I know yall are just eager to get in somewhere, anywhere, especially cheaper programs. I was once very hopeful, positive and excited about starting school as well.
What I wish I wouldve known is how disorganized, unreliable, and plain unfair the clinical systems at a school can be. If there is one thing I wish I knew then that I know now, is to HIGHLY investigate how a school decides its clinical requirements. How does the school obtain and retain patients, and if the patients can AFFORD treatment. Does the school take insurance? Can the school's patient population afford the school's prices?
Look, I'll be honest, First and second year of dental school will largely be in your control. Completely. Study your ass off, and work hard in pre-clinic=likely landing in top 20.
When it gets crazy is when a school has a tremendously high cancellation rate, but still wants all 100 of its students to cut 20 crowns to graduate.
When 70% of the patient pool cannot afford the prices at the school, and therefore,simply stop showing up for appoinments.
When students spend 60 % of their time "treatment planning", in the hopes that maybe the 15th patient they have treatment planned in 2 months will finally accept the treatment plan, and actually get some experience.
A large amount of academic faculty are out of touch with reality, and simply will propose "ideal" treatment. That's all fine and dandy, but when your patient looks you in the eye, and tells you they cant afford that crown, and you still need 10 more to move on to 4th year....what will you do?
Please don't be deceived by all the sugarcoating that goes on at interviews. Talk to the students that don't attend the luncheons, they are the ones that will tell you what the clinical experience is REALLY like at the school.
Are students fighting over crown and bridge patients?
Are students paying for their patients' treatment in order to hit requirement quotas? Does the school even have requirements?! Can you just pass the competency and move on?

Unfortunately, I have been tremendously dissapointed with my clinical experience at my school. I am not the only one who feels this way, but probably the few who verbalize it. If I had known how clinic was truly run at my institution, trust me, I wouldve made other decisions. You do not want to attend a program where you spend more time calling patients, dealing with cancellations and rescheduling, than actually doing dentistry. You do not want to deal with administration who shut their eyes and ears and act like you as a student simply arent working hard enough when you are still short 7 crowns, and have treatment planned 20 patients. You do not want to spend your last year of dental school begging patients to get treatment they need, because your future depends on it.
So please pre-dents. Talk to the students on the campuses. Not the ones who give you the fancy tours. But the ones dealing with patients day in and day out, at that institution. Get the real deal. After all, you're paying a pretty penny for this. No one goes to dental school so they can worry about recruiting their own patients and worry about requirements all day, every day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
OKAY, first and foremost and utmostly important question

what dental school are you currently attending right now? obviously you created a new account to ensure anonymity.

SECOND OF ALL, i understand your pain and know this happens at quite a few schoools, can you give us a list of other schools too?

Reactions: 1 users
First and foremost, I want to preface this by saying that this is not necessarily meant to be a discouraging thread, but certainly to be an eye opener. As impressive and intelligent as most of yall are, I know yall are just eager to get in somewhere, anywhere, especially cheaper programs. I was once very hopeful, positive and excited about starting school as well.
What I wish I wouldve known is how disorganized, unreliable, and plain unfair the clinical systems at a school can be. If there is one thing I wish I knew then that I know now, is to HIGHLY investigate how a school decides its clinical requirements. How does the school obtain and retain patients, and if the patients can AFFORD treatment. Does the school take insurance? Can the school's patient population afford the school's prices?
Look, I'll be honest, First and second year of dental school will largely be in your control. Completely. Study your ass off, and work hard in pre-clinic=likely landing in top 20.
When it gets crazy is when a school has a tremendously high cancellation rate, but still wants all 100 of its students to cut 20 crowns to graduate.
When 70% of the patient pool cannot afford the prices at the school, and therefore,simply stop showing up for appoinments.
When students spend 60 % of their time "treatment planning", in the hopes that maybe the 15th patient they have treatment planned in 2 months will finally accept the treatment plan, and actually get some experience.
A large amount of academic faculty are out of touch with reality, and simply will propose "ideal" treatment. That's all fine and dandy, but when your patient looks you in the eye, and tells you they cant afford that crown, and you still need 10 more to move on to 4th year....what will you do?
Please don't be deceived by all the sugarcoating that goes on at interviews. Talk to the students that don't attend the luncheons, they are the ones that will tell you what the clinical experience is REALLY like at the school.
Are students paying for their patients' treatment in order to hit requirement quotas? Does the school even have requirements?! Can you just pass the competency and move on?

Unfortunately, I have been tremendously dissapointed with my clinical experience at my school. I am not the only one who feels this way, but probably the few who verbalize it. If I had known how clinic was truly run at my institution, trust me, I wouldve made other decisions. You do not want to attend a program where you spend more time calling patients, dealing with cancellations and rescheduling, than actually doing dentistry. You do not want to deal with administration who shut their eyes and ears and act like you as a student simply arent working hard enough when you are still short 7 crowns, and have treatment planned 20 patients. You do not want to spend your last year of dental school begging patients to get treatment they need, because your future depends on it.
So please pre-dents. Talk to the students on the campuses. Not the ones who give you the fancy tours. But the ones dealing with patients day in and day out, at that institution. Get the real deal. After all, you're paying a pretty penny for this. No one goes to dental school so they can worry about recruiting their own patients and worry about requirements all day, every day.

Please tell us which school you are from :) Or at least pm me

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish i could, but you know how it goes. No one wants to bash their school, and be looked at as the bad guy. I just feel deceived, like a great picture of clinical strength was painted when I was accepted, and the reality is completely different. We also schedule all our own patients here, so trust me, patients have no quelms about cancelling at 12:45 pm, for a 1 pm appointment.
Imagine you have 3 more clinical weeks and patients are still cancelling/no-showing/no money. It doesnt matter that you are driven, confident hardworking. If your patients are not reliable and don't show up, you don't get your requirements.
And everyone just shrugs their shoulders and says "welp, that's just how it is here". You are seriously on your own. I can't imagine if I didnt have family in the area. I would be literally SCREWED. How can a school mandate that you need "x,yz" requirements but not guarantee you the patients you need to achieve those requirements?
Does that make sense to you? Trust me, you do not want to pay tuition for this kind of set-up.

I wish i could, but you know how it goes. No one wants to bash their school, and be looked at as the bad guy. I just feel deceived, like a great picture of clinical strength was painted when I was accepted, and the reality is completely different. We also schedule all our own patients here, so trust me, patients have no quelms about cancelling at 12:45 pm, for a 1 pm appointment.
Imagine you have 3 more clinical weeks and patients are still cancelling/no-showing/no money. It doesnt matter that you are driven, confident hardworking. If your patients are not reliable and don't show up, you don't get your requirements.
And everyone just shrugs their shoulders and says "welp, that's just how it is here". You are seriously on your own. I can't imagine if I didnt have family in the area. I would be literally SCREWED. How can a school mandate that you need "x,yz" requirements but not guarantee you the patients you need to achieve those requirements?
Does that make sense to you? Trust me, you do not want to pay tuition for this kind of set-up.

ok you don't need to tell us the school you are attending. Tell us the State you are currently attending your schoooool.

not being mean but if you don't provide any extra information, future students will be in the same positions

Reactions: 2 users
Like everybody ever... Or just tell us.

oh ok, chill out! lets ease him

its in a biggest red state in the US :)

I just would never wish the things I've went through on anyone. As a dental student, one should be proactive, and hard working. But you should not have to find almost half of your own patient pool to graduate, pay for random patients' treatment, and still be told by faculty that you are not doing enough.
I do know some dental schools operate based on competencies, not specifically on how many crowns, fillings,etc you have done. If your program functions that way, great.
Unfortunately, others do not. 60 % of the class is struggling to complete requirements, and when that large of a population isnt complete, 4 weeks out, trust me..its not because we are all lazy bums sitting around doing nothing...

please tell me that at least your tuition is cheap.

Members don't see this ad :)

... Uhhh lol I am going to a state school next year so I am worried. I guess you might not answer this because it is specific, but is it in New York? I guess there is still some mystery because there are two state schools.

Either mention the school or don't say anything at all. You're suppose to be helping people right?

i already quote him his school is in the biggest red state in US biggest republic STATE and its a state school

Reactions: 1 users
You say that we should find out these things.. The only way to find out this info is from students like you... When some of us have decisions to make still knowing which school you're talking about could be a great help to some of us... Even as a pm

i already quote him his school is in the biggest red state in US biggest republic STATE and its a state school

Man with that tuition, you roll with the punches imo. Pocket a few procedures if necessary. Texas schools are less than half the cost of other schools across the country.

Either mention the school or don't say anything at all. You're suppose to be helping people right?
Seriously...

OP what do you think is going to happen? Someone will somehow get your name from your 6 posts on here, call up your school and say you were whining about them on an online forum? Get a grip and help us out if that's really what you came here to do. Don't just jerk us around for no reason.

But I'm also guessing Texas. OP said *ya'll* twice in the first 3 sentences lol.

It's the Texas state school in San Antonio I believe. Because I have heard rumors from friends friends

Man with that tuition, you roll with the punches imo. Pocket a few procedures if necessary. Texas schools are less than half the cost of other schools across the country.
I have to side with you here. My state school is UAB, and if I was to get in I'd only be paying ~$135K total versus $250-450K anywhere else. I totally wouldn't mind paying for my patients if that's what it came to. With that said, my chances of currently getting into UAB aren't fantastic unless I do a one year masters.

You guys,
I know every school has its own issues and shortcomings. There is no "perfect" dental school. However, there has to be some honesty and openness about what one is getting themselves into. Some posters on here said they wouldnt mind paying for patients. If that works for them, fine. But I'm sure there are a lot of students who didnt picture spending their 3rd and 4th year paying for patients with their bare savings just to have a chance at graduating. I don't even want to jump into the ethics of that, and how that skews grades, ranks, and just overall patient-doctor relationships. It also encourages patients to screw with students more, because they now think you are at their mercy. Its one thing to help out a best friend who just happened to come in for a few clinic sessions for you. Its another to be paying for every patient coming in because you dont "Want to get behind in clinic."

You guys,
I know every school has its own issues and shortcomings. There is no "perfect" dental school. However, there has to be some honesty and openness about what one is getting themselves into. Some posters on here said they wouldnt mind paying for patients. If that works for them, fine. But I'm sure there are a lot of students who didnt picture spending their 3rd and 4th year paying for patients with their bare savings just to have a chance at graduating. I don't even want to jump into the ethics of that, and how that skews grades, ranks, and just overall patient-doctor relationships. It also encourages patients to screw with students more, because they now think you are at their mercy. Its one thing to help out a best friend who just happened to come in for a few clinic sessions for you. Its another to be paying for every patient coming in because you dont "Want to get behind in clinic."
I have a friend that's a dental student in Saudi Arabia and she has to pay for 75% if not more of her cases because not only may her patients not be able to afford the dental work, but it's so hard to get patients that fall into a specific requirement that she needs to complete that there's really no alternative. She lines up every patient she has herself. I'm not trying to knock on your situation in the least, but I always keep in mind that my situation could always be worse. You could be at a private dental school where you're already out 400-450K on top of not being able to meet requirements. What I'm trying to say is that it's not just you in this situation. I hope it gets better man! Congratulations on being so close to becoming a dentist by the way!

Although the controversy around not naming the school exist--even though most of us figured it out--we appreciate your input in letting us know to look into the situation. I hadn't thought of asking these questions yet, and I will make sure to mention them to admissions and at the interviews. Thanks!