doctorcoffee

10+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2006
Status
Ok, I'll start.

This is v. cheesy, but it works. I blast the theme song from Rocky on my Ipod. And then think of all of my former boyfriends who have jilted me, which burns me up and gives me the anger I need to get through hour 15 of studying for the MCAT.

Substitute "cheating ex-girlfriends" if you are a dood

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Hi there,

My motivation:

Realize that any large project is a series of small projects.
Realize that any journey starts with a single step.
Realize that "Living well is the best revenge".
Realize that you can do one small thing daily that will get to closer to your goal.
Realize that comparing yourself to others is useless because you are unique.
Realizing that "what others THINK about you" is useless.
Realizing that the discovery of new truths is the essense of life. Be a pioneer!
Realize that "keeping an open mind is the best trait in a scientist".
Realize that "Luck is created by hard work".
Realize that envy is useless and that you can achieve what you want by hard work.

I have a blast every day that I am alive. There is always something new and wonderful to learn in medicine.

njbmd :)

Velvette

10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Status
Pre-Medical
Since I am at the very beginning of my journey, I need a lot of motivation. I often use my daughter and husband as my inspiration :)

About the Ads

Bubblehead-to-MD

Emergency Blow!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Status
Medical Student
doctorcoffee said:
Ok, I'll start.

This is v. cheesy, but it works. I blast the theme song from Rocky on my Ipod. And then think of all of my former boyfriends who have jilted me, which burns me up and gives me the anger I need to get through hour 15 of studying for the MCAT.

Substitute "cheating ex-girlfriends" if you are a dood
Now that's funny!

Bubblehead-to-MD

Emergency Blow!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Status
Medical Student
njbmd said:
Hi there,

My motivation:

Realize that any large project is a series of small projects.
Realize that any journey starts with a single step.
Realize that "Living well is the best revenge".
Realize that you can do one small thing daily that will get to closer to your goal.
Realize that comparing yourself to others is useless because you are unique.
Realizing that "what others THINK about you" is useless.
Realizing that the discovery of new truths is the essense of life. Be a pioneer!
Realize that "keeping an open mind is the best trait in a scientist".
Realize that "Luck is created by hard work".
Realize that envy is useless and that you can achieve what you want by hard work.

I have a blast every day that I am alive. There is always something new and wonderful to learn in medicine.

njbmd :)
Excellent advice!

n0chi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2005
Status
my crappy gpa motiviates me to study my @$$ off for the mcats.... however i dont reccomend this approach to others lol.

OP
D

doctorcoffee

10+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2006
Status
Those are all good motivators. I have another one.

I decided I'm not going to have sex until I get into med school. Maybe it'll take another 2 years, maybe 3, but if I deny myself sex, that'll make me want to get into med school QUICK. And, as an added measure of insurance that I won't get laid until I have my crap together, I will be getting braces(the big, shiny, metal kind). Then I'll have nothing to do but study.

Obviously, this celibacy as motivation won't work if you are a dood :)

Skaterbabe74

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2003
Colorado Springs, CO
Visit site
Status
doctorcoffee said:

I decided I'm not going to have sex until I get into med school. Maybe it'll take another 2 years, maybe 3, but if I deny myself sex, that'll make me want to get into med school QUICK. And, as an added measure of insurance that I won't get laid until I have my crap together, I will be getting braces(the big, shiny, metal kind). Then I'll have nothing to do but study.

LOL. I'm not a dood but that wouldn't work for me. I'd go completely bonkers inside of 6 months if I didn't have that particular stress reliever at least once a week.

lainey234

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2006
Out of the cold
Status
Medical Student
doctorcoffee said:

ROFL. That's pretty drastic. I'm just strating my classes next week and my husband has told me that we will not be taking any vacations until I am accepted into Med school. That's pretty harsh for a couple of scuba divers who have been used to traveling 4 times/year.

I prefer Eminem's - Lose Yourself. Totally not the kind of music I normally listen to, but maybe I will fit in with all the other youngsters at my school.

mommy2three

PGY-1
10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
Michigan
Status
Resident [Any Field]
theme song from rocky gets me going
i am also partial to st emlo's fire
a little g&r never hurt anyone either :)

my children and my dh are my biggest supporters (and source of inspiration)

and if all else fails i remind myself of my two favorite quotes:
"courage does not always roar. sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying 'i will try again tomorrow'. "
and my current fav from winston churchill: "success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts".

RAD11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2004
Status
Pre-Medical
doctorcoffee said:

Your post made me laugh :laugh: . Let's see how long you last without it. :smuggrin: :eek:

Truth74

DVM
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2003
Champaign Illinois
Status
Veterinarian
I think sometimes spite works for me.
I just pull up the running monologue in my head.
You know, the old, "You're too old, stop day dreaming." "You shoulda done it when you were youinger." and "That's a huge time commitment. Get something you can use now" really makes me pull out that extra effort to get those extra points, or do just that much better.

1Path

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2004
www.msapas.net
Status
Because of my extensive involvement in cancer and cancer research, I get a TON of motivation from meeting cancer survivors, especially children, cancer researchers, oncologists, ect.

Good health is for me the strongest motivator of all!!

westphi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Skaterbabe74 said:
LOL. I'm not a dood but that wouldn't work for me. I'd go completely bonkers inside of 6 months if I didn't have that particular stress reliever at least once a week.

I think I love you :)

cee

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
Status
Post Doc
Skaterbabe74 said:
can you send me a pic of yourself?:p

About the Ads