Think about what you are about to do....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDMBA

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys....first an admission. I am not a premed anymore. I am fully board certified and practicing medicine. I am concerned that some of you may not fully realize the financial implications of your choice to go to medical school.....

So I am posting most of this thread from SERMO.com (kind of like Facebook, but for licensed physicians only). This discussion was prompted by a Forbes magazine journalist. You can see his initial question and the responses.

Here is the final article passed about 6 months ago:
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2009/0202/060a.html

The fact is, medical school debt has skyrocketed....$155K average for 2008.
The government just voted out your ability to defer payments during residency:

http://www.med.unc.edu/ama/news/20-220-to-be-maintained-until-july-1-2009

This means you will be forced to start paying off your loans as soon as you graduate, when you are making about $35K/year as an overworked intern/resident. Think about it.

Think about what you are about to spend. Think about what you might make in salary when you are done and how long it will take you to pay off your debts. Read the comments and decide for yourself if medicine is right for you. But most of all be informed. Debts of these size are crushing and unforgiving.

Here is the thread - apologies for the length.

Client Posting
From the media: Medical school debt vs. income
What is a client posting?

This posting was submitted by a client of Sermo.

A client posting is different from one submitted by a physician in that, after it closes, its voting results are exclusive to the authoring client for 2 weeks. Once that period is over, the results are made available to the community.

Submitting a posting is the only way a client can directly interact with and query the Sermo community. The voting results to all postings are completely anonymous, your username is not shown. Clients see postings in the same format you do and therefore can only attribute comments to usernames.

For more information, see Clients and their Privileges on Using Sermo.
Close

From the media: I am a reporter from Forbes Magazine working on a story about rising student debt. Are you a physician that has a debt load that is two or three times your income? What measures are you taking to manage/pay-off this debt? Would you be willing to be quoted on this topic in a national magazine? If so, please share a few details about your individual circumstance and whether or not you are available to speak tomorrow morning (Friday, January 9.) in more detail.
Tags
debt, medical school, income
Category: General Interest
Posting ID: 31413
[Author] Posted on January 08, 2009 by a Sermo Client
View most recent
Comments (102)
DocESP Radiology
Posted Jan 08, 2009 at 5:50 PM
Don't forget about other sources of debt that most medschool grads have--loans from undergraduate college, auto loans, perhaps a mortgage if they're lucky enough not to be renting. During their 4 years of medschool, those debts have been accruing interest, while their nonmedical peers have been earning salaries and making monthly payments.
PamCobb Family Medicine
Posted Jan 08, 2009 at 5:54 PM
I am one of the lucky ones. I went to a moderately priced liberal arts college, and then returned to my home state (1974) for medical school at the state's university. This was in my home city, I lived at home several years, and graduated owing $5000. At that time, average debt was about $20,000.

I worked recently with a woman who returned to school to become a physician. She was the chief resident in family medicine. She owes almost $200,000 and, although working in an underserved area, has no loan repayment. She constantly lives "on the edge" financially. She does not spend extravagantly. She was a flutist before entering medicine, and sometimes performs in order to supplement her income.

This situation is a travesty; thank you for considering us physicians. I look forward to reading your article.
rameses75 Neurology
Posted Jan 08, 2009 at 6:34 PM
My current amount of educational debt is slightly less than my annual income. It will likely take me another 5-7 years to pay off my loans. It is ONLY 5-7 years because I usually make two payments per month to reduce the amount of capitalized interest and make a bigger dent in the principal. My car is paid off. My housing expenses are minimal compared to my medical school loan repayment burden every month--this IS my primary monthly expense. I would be glad to speak with you more about this.
wuerfel1 Family Medicine
Posted Jan 08, 2009 at 7:03 PM
as a family doc, out of residency 1 year, my debt is still more than I could make in 1-2 years. (Currently 125,000 and I have paid off 15,000 already). I have no debt from undergrad and no other outstanding debt and still struggle to balance our budget. Like PamCobb above, no extravagances. I pay more per month on my student loans than I do my mortgage and it will take me the same amount of time to pay off both of them. And, about the time I finish paying for my school, I might be able to start saving or paying for my kids' college tuition.

So, when I compare what I am making (once I subtract my student loans) to what my peers are making-- I'm definitely not on the top rung. Add that to the fact that I wasn't able to start making any money until 8 years after those that graduated with a bachelors degree (for example an engineer or other business person), I'm way behind the eight ball in savings, retirement planning, etc.

Like rameses75 I would be glad to speak with you further.
Echopeds Pediatrics
Edited Jan 08, 2009 at 7:06 PM
I love being a pediatrician. If timing of things in my life were different I would have loved to have done a three year fellowship in nephrology. I could not afford to do that given my need to support my family.

During medical school I was pushed at one point by the director of a radiology residency to apply for a slot. When I look at the pay I would make as a radiologist. The same thing during a dermatology rotation.

Likely both of those people were blowing smoke my way. Who knows. I sometimes wonder if my family would have been better off if I chose one of those lines of training.

I love being a pediatrician when I am in the room with a child. I really love being at the bedside of an ill child in the middle of the night. When I look long term at how I am going to support my family I am not so enthralled.

I would be willing to send you an email with more details of my personal financial problems but I do not want to post them here in such a public place. If you send me an email via the sermo system I would be willing to provide you with my thoughts.

If you are going to want to talk/quote numbers(how much I earn/owe) I would be willing to let you do so but not with my name.
loreman Pulmonology
Posted Jan 08, 2009 at 9:15 PM
I am amazed that the general public is willing to pay more to their plumber, stockbroker etc than to see their physician. The incredible amount of time and debt that it takes to learn medicine and help save lives is definately not worth the rewards. I am actively encouraging my children to chose another career. I love what i do but when i think of all the years of debt incurred and nights of studying to have patients complain over a co-pay and state that healthcare should be free why they themselves earn way more than me is disheartening
imsahagun Pediatrics
Posted Jan 08, 2009 at 9:16 PM
I am very lucky to have NO debt... thanks to scholarships and hard-working parents who deprived us of every luxury known to a kid!
TomSabDO Osteopathy
Posted Jan 08, 2009 at 9:40 PM
My debt is higher than my yearly income. I will be done paying my college and med school loans when I am 63 (I re-consolidated at 33).
JRooney Allergy and Immunology
Posted Jan 08, 2009 at 9:56 PM
My wife and I finished medical training in our 30's with $250,000 in combined debt. My spouse cannot work due to illness. My income, after 15 years in practice, is $125,000 before taxes. We're fortunate to have a mortgage of $2700/month in a working class community in New York.
DocLMG Family Medicine
Posted Jan 08, 2009 at 9:57 PM
I finished medical school with $150,00- of educational debt. It is now paid off but it was a struggle starting out as a new physician. There is no way we would have been able to open a new practice with that debt.
chinita Pediatrics
Edited Jan 08, 2009 at 10:01 PM
Thank goodness for California public universities. My undergrad loans are paid off and I have a very small amount left for my medical school loans. (About 1/4 of my annual salary).

Now if only the situation is similarly sunny on my home... (Lost >20% equity since purchase and now a member of the negative equity homeowners).
shawshank Psychiatry
Posted Jan 08, 2009 at 10:04 PM
My debt is >200k, and I make about 60-70% of that per year.

One of my biggest complaints with our debt is that we can NOT tax deduct the interest we pay on our student loans if our combined family income is >150k. This is ridiculous!!! I devote 12 years of my life AFTER college to training, have a significant opportunity cost in doing this, finally get to make over 100k with a job, but can't deduct any interest I pay on 250k in loans? Absurd.

My spouse has 150k in loans also and only makes 50% of that amount. So, together, we have what amounts to an extra mortgage. And again, what really kills me is that we can't deduct any interest we pay on these loans. Put that in your story. And, sure, I'd love to talk more about it.
JohnGalt Family Medicine
Edited Jan 08, 2009 at 10:28 PM
I was fortunate enough to have moonlighting opportunities during my first 4 years out of residency that allowed me to completely pay off my med school debt. I worked my ***** off during those 4 years; was exhausted all the time. Working 100+hrs per week (both regular clinic and moonlighting). Not everybody gets that chance. Debt is one of several reasons that primary care physicians are a dying breed.
auelocks Family Medicine
Posted Jan 08, 2009 at 11:14 PM
I'm in my first year out of residency, making 135K a year. My educational debt is 260K+. It hasn't taken long for my eyes to be opened to the struggles to pay this debt. Other doctors used to say, "don't worry about borrowing money, you'll be making plenty to pay your debt and still live a good life." Not so true nowadays.
So, now I moonlight for a few extra dollars. I'm a single mom or would be working more than I do now. I've gotten pretty good at making a budget over the years. At least for the first year, my employer is paying $1000 of my debt, but that's about 1/3 of my total payments. I'm not so sure this incentive will continue. I'm applying for a loan repayment program, but don't know how realistic my chances of being chosen.
I love my profession, caring for patients, but am already discouraged with being a doctor. This definitely isn't what I thought I was signing up for.
Sp1ndoctor Oncology, Hematology/Oncology
Edited Jan 09, 2009 at 12:30 AM
I was fortunate to have a lot of help from my parents, and fortunate to NOT have been smart enough, or connected enough, to get into any of the Ivy League schools I applied to ...

;-)

... so I had to "settle" for a decent private undergrad university, (which is often ranked as one of the "best deals" in the national rankings) and a top ranked state med school, and if that turn of events were my "first choice", I couldn't have been any happier ... so things turned out all right, after all ...

I have to say that the advice I hear, here on Sermo is true, that one does not ~need~ to attend Private or Ivy league schools for most careers, and I suspect that is true, even if you can be President with a "C" from the Ivy leagues ..

However, I also did lots of "work" from summer jobs, to "scribing for hire" to other odds and ends and always lived and played within my means, so I graduated Med School with modest debt, under $100,000 and was fortunate to pay it off within 5-6 years of finishing residency.

I probably can't offer my stories for your article, but even though it is not the prime focus, I hope your article at least covers the issue of doctor's income during post-graduate training.

I sometimes see articles about the professional schools - Usually Law vs Business vs Doctor -comparing the "starting salaries" .... but starting MBAs and starting lawyers don't graduate only to do another 3-10 years more (known as the "residency") for "on the job" training for a pittance.

Where they enter the workforce, doctors are still "in training" albeit on a token salary --- when I graduated med school, in the 90's, resident salaries ranged from 30 to 50K. I am sure they are a little better now, but I bet not by much.

Most doctors cannot afford to pay their loans during this time, but you can usually defer. My student loans were all eligible for interest deferral, (and did not accumulate) but some of my friends who needed more assistance took on "worse" quality loans and while their interest was eligible for "forbearance" it did accumulate and this can be a big reason doctors may graduate with such heavy debt burdens ...
Debdoc Pathology
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 2:45 AM
I also had a lot of educational debt, about $180,00 after finishing my training. While I only took out about $35K, I made between $29K and 42K during my 7 years of post graduate training and could not afford to pay off student loans during this time. Consequently the interest rate was capitalized ( and I had the misfortune to be in med school when the interest rates were about 9% for student loans) and my debt grew.
During my internship and residency I was working an average of 120 hours a week, so you can see that the salary was more akin to minimum wage.
I finally paid off the loans about 13 years after finishing med school and largely because I switched from an academic position to a more highly paid private/commerical operation. Student loan debt definitely shapes career choices.
I also found that when I finally made enough to pay the loans off, I couldn't deduct the interest. I would be in favor of a quasi socialized medical system where medical school is free or subsidized and all students are required to do paid national medical service, for a year or 2 as they do in many European and South American countries. This would take care of underserved areas and alleviate the debt situation.
Echopeds Pediatrics
Edited Jan 09, 2009 at 6:34 AM
sp1n last I heard that 20/220 pathway was going away this summer so residents/fellows will not be able to ask for interest deferment any more.

As of last fall this was still an active issue - I have not heard if congress ever acted to restore this rule.

www.ama-assn.org
www.aafp.org

steven Internal Medicine
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 6:40 AM
My son is at Temple Medical school, tuition 42k/year PLUS living expenses, about 6/yr. He had to take a loan of 20k this year. His roommate is taking loans for 42k/year. they will both come out with mortgage like loans. It is truly ridiculous to think they will not enter a lucrative specialty, not primary care in order to repay those sums.
docnag1 Family Medicine
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 8:00 AM
My debt is old. I think I was one of the first physicians in such a horrible upside down financial situation. I came out of school with $97,000 debt at a time when interest was 17-19.5% capitalized and compounded daily. My first year in practice I had to go out and borrow $10,000 to pay taxes on the educational loan payments as the tax laws changed to make the interest not deductible. I used the forbearance route for a very short time and the balance very quickly grew even greater. Only in the past couple of years has my income finally exceeded my debt yet my income is right about the same as a tenured teacher in NYS school system.....except I don't get their premo health insurance coverage. I have to pay for my own. The only people making enough money to service current educational debt load in medicine are those who have been forced to sell their souls. Medicine was a dream of mine since I was a very young child. My father was a laborer with eight children and my family tried to convince me that medicine was not the way to go but I didn't listen. I sat at my medical admission interview and answered their questions about loans. I had worked and done my own taxes since I was 16yo. I had even had an IRS audit already. In those days you paid interest on educational financial investment or you paid taxes on money you didn't pay for education. The year I got out, they very simply changed the rules. The only way any poor kid can go to medical school now is in exchange for their life.
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 8:45 AM
echo -I read that here on Sermo last yer --- I didn't know it had passed, but wouldn't be surprised ..
PamCobb Family Medicine
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 10:38 AM
To the Forbes correspondent: I think it is starting to become clear from the responses above that 1) a significant number of physicians, starting in the 1980's, accumulated a tremendous amount of debt relative to their education, and are struggling to pay it off and 2) because of the economic climate, many of us are discouraging our children from entering the practice of medicine, and 3) very few people can afford to enter the general fields of pediatrics, family med, and internal medicine---this has CLEAR repercussions for the American public, and public health, in the future.

DebDoc alludes to a potential "fix" which I would support and has been mentioned before; that is, waive the cost of medical school for qualified applicants that are willing to serve the underserved for X number of years (my suggestion would be a minimum of five years) This would do much to stimulate renewed interest in the fields of primary care. At the end of five years, the hope would be that the applicant would continue to serve in some capacity that area; however, they could choose to enter specialty training, or relocate, or become an academician (which also should be financially supported, in some way.) [email protected]
Bohnstedt07 Neurosurgery
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 11:09 AM
From Medical school I accrued over $140,000 in debt at an instate medical school and was on the lower end of medical school class for debt when graduating in 2007. Thus, I can only second all of the statements above. It is interesting to me that our society easily dismisses these factors of escalating debt and complains that physicians are paid too much. It is my fear that if the debt issue is not addressed (either by above mentioned ideas or otherwise) and the issue of decreasing compensation that the bright individuals in our society will shy away from medicine much as many of the above have expressed encouraging their children to do. One should not go into medicine for financial gain; however, penalizing them for going into by delaying their ability to earn a supporting income and starting their lives out with $200,000 + in educational debt seems a bit impractical.
DeLaughterDO Emergency Medicine
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 11:33 AM
Echopeds is correct - as of this year (2008-2009), deferral is no longer available. I am now paying essentially twice my normal rent (rent + loan payment) every month. I went to a state-sponsored institution and fortunately came out with only about 150K in loans (all my undergrad loans were paid off before entering med school), and will likely be paying on my loans for about a dozen or more years, depending on the income I get when I'm done with residency (currenlty making about 48K in residency with 18 months to go).
jsmall0210 Emergency Medicine
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 11:52 AM
I have about 114k left, but I am one of the very lucky ones who graduated in the early 2000s when rates were really low. I'm locked in at 2.8% over 30 years. I think only my class (2003) and the ones before and after me got lucky
txpsych Psychiatry
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 11:58 AM
Yes, this issue of medical debt is a significant concern. I too have med school debt around 190k with an income less than that. I rent an apartment, and my loan payments are more than rent. I can not wait to be done with paying back all this debt. Hopefully there will be some more programs available to future physicians and myself included in terms of paying back these loans such as loan forgiveness for those of us who work in major metropolitan areas. Appreciate you writing about this issue, significant concern to many of my physician colleagues. Would be interested in discussing further.
watty1 Surgery, General
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 12:49 PM
we, certainly, do not go into medicine for the money. My wife and I graduated with >250,000$ of debt. We live frugally nad will not likely pay off our loans until we are near retirement- then there's the mortgage, retirement, kid's education, taxes etc...We are not in the "poor house"- but it sure aint easy!
Andrea33333 Psychiatry
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 1:20 PM
I have about $75,000 total debt from med school and have no idea how I am going to pay it off.

I think this is hardest for primary care doctors.
bpoterjoy Pediatrics
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 2:01 PM
I finished med school with 135k that went to about 150k after 3 years of econ hardship deferral and 3 years of forebearance. I was fortunate that at consolidation in 2002 the interest rate was just under 4%. And it went a bit lower that year. I will complete payments when I am in my early 60s unless I start paying it off faster. Unfortunately there are other bills to pay- credit cards that accumulated $$$ while struggling to make ends meet thru 6 years of post med school education with a growing family. Cars, mortgage. I am very blessed that my wife and I have careers (she is an RN) where we can rotate our schedules around our children, hence we have no need for daycare. If not, her salary would be going thereand we would be no better off. I don't know how my contemporaries who have a dual-doc household make ends meet, especially if one (or both) are in primary care.

The PA state senate education committee has a bill that the House passed in summer 2007 where, in exchange for 10 years of indentured servitude, the doc can trade off the educational debt. And there it sits. After many angry letters to our local senators, and some help from our rep, I found out that the dilemma is where the soney would come from.....it is a great concept- akin to the natl health service corps. As much of a small govt person I am, I would welcome such a program, mostly cuz I am a native PA guy with no intent to leave.

That being said, as hard as the economic situation is, I love my job and would not discourage any of my 4 children from going in this direction for a career. Hopefully things will be different in 10-20 years
Edited Jan 09, 2009 at 2:08 PM
<in exchange for 10 years of indentured servitude>

It is rather telling that after 4 years of college, 4 years of med school and 3 years of a pediatric residency (or more), bpoterjoy (and I am sure others) would *WELCOME* 10 years of indentured servitude ....
(from the sound of things, doctors are begging for the opportunity)

If I were in the current federal govt position, I would say things are going just about perfectly - what better way to make doctors support a nationialized healthcare system, than to make us willing, no, obligatory, slaves?

There is no field, NONE, where the participants are *punished* and *enslaved* more for their skills and compassion than the practice of Medicine ....
bpoterjoy Pediatrics
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 3:01 PM
Sp1n-

The way the bill is written, the state of PA would pay of 10% per year in exchange for remaining in PA for 10 years. What has not been clear is if it would be open to ALL docs, or just primary care. They have it structured to be a tiered selection, geared to keeping PA residents in PA. I joke about the "servititude", but for me, a born, raised, educated from Kindergarten thru med school in PA, married to a Philly girl (the Philly definition of moving is going 1 neighborhood away from where they grew up) - I am not leaving unless I need to, or one helluva opportunity comes up. My oldest is 10, and she doesn't want to leave her school, and cringes when we talk about upgrading to a bigger home (typical, I know). So for my purposes, if Harrisburg pays me to stay, that's great cuz I win and they win.
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 3:23 PM
Sounds better than "indentured servitude" but it really doesn't matter - the point is, someone would have no freedom for 10 yrs after completing what most would already consider indentured servitude, after PAYING FOR THE PRIVELEGE and going into massive debt ...
slatosky Family Medicine
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 3:23 PM
it is sad but my student loan payment is higher than my morgage payment. it is even sadder that i am taxed as if this was income. tell me again why no one is going into primary care.
bpoterjoy Pediatrics
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 3:52 PM
Sp1n- I agree with u 100%. I actually think that the central issue is the cost of medical school itself. Did u see the above comment about Temple being 42k per year- insane! Just 10 years ago I was paying about 20k, and I thought that was high. SOOOO in terms of 'reform", the cost of the education should be on the list also....
donthomasj Rheumatology
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 4:15 PM
It is a shame that I actually make more money per hour by doing internet surveys and talking to research groups that what the HMOs/insurance companies/Medicare reimburse me for taking care of patients. I have not cut back seeing patients to do more surveys and do group consultation work and I don't plan on doing so in the future. However, it sure crosses my mind sometimes on difficult days.
docnag1 Family Medicine
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 4:46 PM
I was fortunate to get a slot in the national health service corp loan repayment program. But, the $25,000/year payment, barely covered the nearly 20% interest on the $140,000 balance I had by the time the program became available. The NHSC bought me 5 years of interest payments nothing more. I am over 20 years in payback and still making very large payments with perhaps an end in sight but who knows in the current economy. Also, understand that in the NHSC, one gets a salary or has a private practice option, neither of which allows much of an income. Hence my current income after over 20years being equivalent to a tenured NYS teacher...that's upstate NY. Of course I could take a job at the local pretend hospital supervising a dozen midlevels and make some big money. I just can't do that. I am not unhappy but I resent that people equate being a physician with having alot of money and they think we don't need to be paid for our work.
maggieruby40 Pain Medicine
Edited Jan 09, 2009 at 4:59 PM
I had about $200,000 in medical school loans when I finished training. I graduated in 1993. I had to do forebearance for a few years. I call it the house I do not live in.

I am still glad I am a doctor. But sometimes I get annoyed when people assume I am so "rich" because although I do live better than most, there are many who live much better. There are also many who while we were making 30 cents an hour in Residency and Fellowship for all those years, were already working in their professions and are doing a lot better.
I resent that people resent me for being a "big rich doctor". I worked hard, I do not remember much of life other than Work for many years and because of my debt I am really not that "rich"
I believe that I should live well and be respected for it.
B1Fixer Orthopaedics
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 4:57 PM
since when did the media become "clients"? So anything said here can be quoted in Forbes? How many other news organizations are "clients"? Which ones?
Andrea33333 Psychiatry
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 5:02 PM
Fixer's questions need to be addressed.
Leland Family Medicine
Posted Jan 09, 2009 at 10:16 PM
Return on investment in Primary Care fields is not what it was, nor what it should be. There is nothing I personally would want to do besides being a Physician, yet I was relieved that neither of my children expressed any desire to follow in my footsteps. Life is tough enough. Only wanting to do something urgently and desperately could explain the sacrifices those of us that have chosen this life are willing to make. I suspect if I were attending Medical School in this era, I would be more influenced toward choosing a higher paying specialty. I am fortunate to have graduated from an excellent mid western Medical School in an era when it was possible to graduate without a six figure debt, and to have had dedicated and supportive parents. When I read some of the stories above, I realize how very fortunate I have been.

Members don't see this ad.

NoWorries Psychiatry
Posted Jan 10, 2009 at 1:24 AM
I hear the military is looking for a few good doctors...free medical school with no debt! However, I think the pay is not as good after training...and long stints in Iraq and/or Afghanistan don't sound very appealing.
Augiebball Cardiology
Posted Jan 10, 2009 at 11:50 AM
I was lucky enough not to have undergrad loans s/t being a full-ticket jock, but I made up for it by going to a private medical school in an expensive city and running a tab of $50K per year approx. I have my career planned out now, but my choices were influenced by my debt. I also have a mortgage and will be moving soon to do a fellowship so I'm stuck w/ a home I can't sell in one city and a need for a home (rent vs buy) in a new city. I'd be happy to chat w/ anyone about it.
drtrouble Internal Medicine
Posted Jan 10, 2009 at 7:14 PM
The poll questions are misleading - are present tense.
The question would /should be looking as younger physicians and older established physicians re: relative debt load - how did this influence specialty choice. Personally, I choose to go to the state medical school so I wouldnt be saddled with the huge medical education debt. There were costs to pay for that - some residencies wouldnt look at me even with a 95th percentile boards because it was not an "elite" school.
lawdoc Psychiatry
Edited Jan 10, 2009 at 10:24 PM
Look, if you really want a story, then check out these two discussions:

md.sermo.com

md.sermo.com

Part of health reform is pressing high debt graduates into serf-dom so large insurance companies can skim huge profits. The Clintons are back, and the CLintons are the creatures of insurance. (Remember Zoe Baird? She was chief counsel for Aetna, that is why they tried her for AG)

Physician debt for new grads is crushing, so they must sign every managed care contract that crosses the desk. These contracts are like drinking sea water, however, as teh doctor ends up having to deliver care for which payment doesn't cover overhead and debt, or forced to cut corners. Have you ever looked at the actual mandates for Medicaid? No one can deliver services mandated by Medicaid and not go into bankruptcy. So anyone providing Medicaid is under constant pressure to cut corners or starve. With t he coming reform, there will be a Faustian bargain for every physician, and patients will get substandard care. The newer doctors cannot afford to stand firm against the pressures to bastardize the standards of care.
lawdoc Psychiatry
Posted Jan 10, 2009 at 10:24 PM
Thank you as a client for being open and honest about what your motives are.
lawdoc Psychiatry
Posted Jan 10, 2009 at 10:27 PM
Check out this discussion:

md.sermo.com
steeldoc OBGYN
Posted Jan 11, 2009 at 9:18 AM
No debt because of hard working conservative parents. I am doing the same for my kids and their educations.
nickfogelson OBGYN
Posted Jan 11, 2009 at 7:26 PM
I had about 130k of education debt that I was fortunate enough to be able to consolidate at less than 3%. But then rather than pay off debt with my income I invested it to get a better return than my debt -> bad idea as of late!

Its gotten to where the cost of medical school is greater than the future salary can justify, particularly if one wants to be in primary care. Its terrible.
doc2007 Pathology
Posted Jan 11, 2009 at 9:18 PM
It is amazing to me that 10 years after graduation, the state medical school I attended now charges more for 1 year of tuition than I paid for my 4 years of tuition
nsmurali Gastroenterology
Posted Jan 11, 2009 at 9:53 PM
The biggest scam is the undergrad 4 year BS course that is mandatory before entering medical school. This adds around $200K debt to the student. Why not make people interested in Medicine do the pre-med ( AP BIO, Chem Physics and English) in 10-12 grades and have them do MCAT? This is what the rest of the world does but we have to be different...
chameleon7 Internal Medicine
Posted Jan 12, 2009 at 2:27 PM
nsmurali,
I don't like that idea. I, and many other people, would have never had the opportunity to become physicians if that were the only, or main, route to med school in the US. If there was direct entry from high school, then the rich kids who attend the elite private high schools would be the ones who would be able to get into medical school. Not all high schools even offer those AP courses you are talking about.

I learned a ton in undergraduate, not much in medical school, and my undergrad charged a fraction of the tuition that my medical school charged. However, I think adding on a few more direct-entry or early-entry pathways into med school (say after 3 years of college or something) wouldn't be a bad idea. We need a few more docs anyway.

S97Batess Pathology
Posted Jan 12, 2009 at 4:39 PM
I got lucky in that I was in the military when I applied and my school was paid for by the military in return for x number of years after graduation. There are two routes, one is the military's own med school (USUHS) in Bethesda, Maryland which covers tuition, books and pays you as a 2Lt in the military during your time there in return for 7 years (plus transistional internship year); and then there is the HSPS program that pays for civilian med schools and covers books and tuition plus a stipend (~$1000) month in return for (I believe) 4 years (that may have changed recently). The pay during residency is higher than the civilian side but, the income after that is lower (on average). However, you do not have a loan bill to pay either so that sort of equalizes the income side a little. Some fields are deployed to the war zones (like surgery and emergency medicine) and some are not (like pathology). It is all a matter of what your specialty is and how much not having a school loan to pay off is worth to you.

I could not have gone any other way (I had a wife a 4 children at the time and the loans would have been horrible). This may not be the option for some, but it should be mentioned as a possible opportunity for those that want the chance to become doctors in todays high school price market.

I would be glad to talk to you about your article, If you wish.
Leland Family Medicine
Posted Jan 12, 2009 at 10:35 PM
I also agree that the undergraduate years are an asset that I would never willingly sacrifice. We are members of an affluent society, and the B.S. or B.A. degree prior to Med. School allows us to be conversant with patients from many different paths and backgrounds. It also allows us to achieve a level of maturity that in this complicated age and this multi-cultural, complex society is indispensable. Besides, life is too short not to explore other interests, and become as well rounded an individual as one wishes.
Posted Jan 12, 2009 at 11:49 PM
Re: Undergrad life ..<It also allows us to achieve a level of maturity >

There is a competing idea that undergrad life no longer fosters maturity, but prolongs adolescence ..

Posted Jan 13, 2009 at 12:35 AM
Leland: We are unfortunately no longer an affluent society. We used to think we were until the illusion was completely laid bare last November. 4 year US college is mighty expensive if all you are getting is some kind of "feel good" education. Consider serving in the US armed forces or even doing a voluntary stint abroad. That would give a child far more experience of the cultures and languages of the world than a 4 year US college life at such great expense. Studying abroad is considerably cheaper (UK=1/2 to 1/3US rates, India 1/4 to 1/5 US rates, Singapore 1/2 to 1/3 US rates, Australia 1/2 to 1/3 US rates,China 1/4 to 1/2 US rates). The institutions are top notch but entry requires passing the required tough competitive exams. . Additional bonus: High end US post grad institutions of science and Engineering favor grads from these foreign countries over local graduates. I've seen both sides of this argument in our own family!
Posted Jan 13, 2009 at 12:39 AM
chameleon: Commonwealth countries take both the high school and College grads into med school. Roughly 1/3 of students enter after 3 year BS degrees , 2/3rd enter after 12 year high school. Both groups take the same exam. Actually it is the affluent kids who go to extended education> the less affluent ones generally stay highly focused and know what they want early on.
apodasis Internal Medicine
Posted Jan 13, 2009 at 6:05 AM
Forbe eh? Off topic but I read your article about NPs being the new primary care providers that quoted the Columbia University Nurse Practitioner who stated that they are better than doctors with their new DNP (doctorate of NP). Are you that same person that made the report. If so, you should read the postings about what doctors around the world think of NPs in general, including those in Britain.
Edited Jan 13, 2009 at 8:26 AM
apo: Don't get me started on DNP crap. I wish the Forbes reporter spent a day with any one of us to understand the complexities of medical diagnosis. I agree we have prostituted ourselves to" third party" by undervaluing our own arduous training and the effort it takes to gain clinical expertise. Another headache from IVY league towers. They gave us the wall street mavens, who have so expertly steered this country into ruin. . Now they want to unleash DNPs on us.
I'd be very happy to talk to the SERMO CLIENT!
jemdur Family Medicine
Posted Jan 13, 2009 at 7:50 PM
I know many physicians who have not gone into primary care for monatary reasons. It is hard to justify 200K in debt to make 100K per year.
Leland Family Medicine
Posted Jan 13, 2009 at 8:26 PM
Sp1 : I have no argument with college years allowing a protracted adolescence, yet I would not trade that era for any multiple of the money it cost my parents. Those were the best years of my life, and they were very productive years, not at all wasted despite ALL the fun ! And, yes, somehow, possibly paradoxically, I do feel I was able to achieve a more profound maturity because of the experiences involved (and I did travel abroad during that era). Medical School was pretty much all work and no fun, and because of the prelude of the College Undergraduate experience, I was fully ready to settle down and focus on the task at hand. Honestly, personally, I would not have been ready at 17, when I started what turned out to be a double B.S in Chemistry and Biology.

bpoterjoy Pediatrics
Posted Jan 14, 2009 at 8:47 AM
The idea that the undergrad experience is not particularly useful in regards to prep for med school is rather compelling. Speaking for myself, with an undergrad degree in Biology/Molecular Bio, I did love college. But did it "make me a better doctor" ? I am not sure. What I will say is that my undergrad courses had more "science detail" where my med school courses were more "clinically relevant" with regards to the translation from basic science to medicine. While in undergrad, I spent a summer at a larger university with a research scholars program, and interacted with med students from Europe where many had a 6 year curriculum, 3 years didactic, 3 years clinical. At that time, as well as now, I think that that may be an interesting route- would love to hear from someone who did one of these shorter curriculum's for their opinion, that being a early transfer to med school out of college. The downside is that it places even more emphasis on excelling at the high school level, which may not be the right thing....
basicscience Anesthesiology
Edited Jan 15, 2009 at 12:59 PM
Went to med school in early 80s. No parental help, no financial aid. Was accepted to several medical schools, chose the cheapest, not the best. Did not have the money to go when accepted, so I worked a year while they "saved" me a spot. Worked 2 jobs all through med school, took out some loans at 18% (again, this was the early 80s). Constantly pulled out of class to have a "talk" about my late tuition payments. Did not own a car, no credit card debt, rented a room in a house that was overrun with mice since it was what I could afford. Budgeted myself $8/wk for food. No health insurance for years. Did not purchase many textbooks, just could not afford them. Ranked 1st in class anyway. When graduated, loan payments were about 2x my monthly resident salary. Would have been 3x if I hadn't lived like a rodent. Continued to moonlight all through residency, paid off all loans within 10 years. You can imagine my response when my med school comes begging for money.
docnag1 Family Medicine
Posted Jan 15, 2009 at 1:06 PM
I can imagine.....like go pound salt.
bpoterjoy Pediatrics
Posted Jan 15, 2009 at 2:40 PM
basicsci---- I admit that I live in awe when I hear from folks who did schooling a generation ago- I met a doc in my travels who went to med school that he paid for completely by doing construction in the summertime. I can't even imagine how any of that is feasible today, however, when the cost is 40K per year. Had I had to pay up front, I never wouldve gotten where I am today....so I give the congress of the 1990s and Pres Clinton some props for expanding the borrowing power from Stafford. The other issue that exists is that now it doesnt seem to be commonplace for residents to moonlight consistently, all do to "limitations" and transparency needed in reporting work hours. I had to "swipe" in at my program (like a factory worker), and could only moonlight in the NICU, so they knew when I was in house cuz I was on the insitutions pay-roll.

The drum I will continue to beat for med students, and all young people frankly, is the notion of living within one's means, and having "stuff" that one needs....I know med students here in Philly that rent 1 bedroom center city apts on their own, and have seen them driving off in cars much more expensive than my own. And they do it on the borrowing power that they have. So in a lot of respects, I don't feel pity for that sort of reckless behaviour. On the other hand, $40k per year after undergrad isn't cheap...I don't know what to do about that one
Edited Jan 15, 2009 at 3:35 PM
<so I give the congress of the 1990s and Pres Clinton some props for expanding the borrowing power from Stafford.>

...except generous financial aid is THE REASON tuition goes up ....

(look at it as a means of transferring wealth from taxpayers to colleges, using students as the vehicle ... and meanwhile pricing everyone who is not eligible for aid out of certain places ...)
bpoterjoy Pediatrics
Posted Jan 15, 2009 at 8:17 PM
Sp1n- I am not familiar enough with the rate of tuition increase thru the 1980s until now, and how that related the expansion of borrowing ability from Stafford. WHat I can say is that during my tenure in med school the borrowing capacity went from mid-30k to 44k. Now it is much higher. What is the chicken/egg? Not sure,

Posted Jan 15, 2009 at 9:55 PM
I agree, the chicken / egg issue is very hard to tell, however, it seems possible (probable) that if any market forces are at work, then to the extent that students have access to (relatively) easy money, demand for higher tier schools will rise and then costs will rise in turn to meet the increased demand ...

A quick google search turned up this study which summarizses (but does not resolve) the dilemma

www.eastwestcenter.org
Angelat Rheumatology
Posted Jan 16, 2009 at 11:00 AM
I recently started practice and have about 130K in consolidated low interest debt that was used to pay tuition. But what really bothers me is all the extra expenses that came up that I had to put on credit cards and get private loans for that also now add almost an extra 90K. All through med school and residency we have no income and yet somehow are expected to come up with money to pay for the books, exams that cost thousands of dollars every year or so... (I did moonlight through residency and fellowship but there is only so much time) Then there is all the interviewing for residency, fellowships... Flying around the country to 10 or so places to do this is not inexpensive. Then there is day to day living expenses for the last 9 years. Now I make around 150K per year and scrape by every month to try and make a dent in my loans so that I can start to maybe actually save some day. It just burns me up when my patients complain about making a $20-40 copayment. People really do expect free medical care, and yet are willing to pay much less trained people for much less important things such as car mechanics, electricians, plumbers... I don't get it. But then on the other hand there is this assumption out there that physicians are all so well off... I sometimes get the feeling my friends and family think I should foot the bill for everything now.
bpoterjoy Pediatrics
Posted Jan 16, 2009 at 11:58 AM
Angel- I won't even get into credit card debt- imagine managing a family that grew from 1 to 4 children thru residency and fellowship.....baby stuff is not cheap, that's for sure.

This discussion has really made me start pondering whether or not we ought to really re-think the way medical education occurs in the US. A question comes to mind:(should really be a separate post, maybe if this doesn't go anywhere here I will post it separately):
1. Do we really need an undergrad degree----yes, I was a science guy, so my initial med school classes were really a big review/overview.....would it be more reasonable to have a 3 year didactic curriculum, where the first is the basic sciences- anatomy, histo, biochem, physio, all taught at the level that one needs for medicine-the 2nd 2 years could be medically relevant stuff, with reviews of the pertinent anatomy/physiology/pharmacology, etc.

Let's face it, physics was a cool class, but does the doctor really need to build a circuit board? And do we really need organic chem----i doubt it. Yeah, I had a helluva time in college, but with undergrad really expensive, the cost of med school skyrocketing, our salaries dwindling, and high school students taking AP courses to get out of some of the college stuff, perhaps it is really time to re-address the necessity of the undergrad program. I don't buy the "more rounded person makes a better doc" argument----

be interested to hear your thoughts

S97Batess Pathology
Posted Jan 16, 2009 at 1:00 PM
Brown university in Rhode Island used to have a 6 year program where there was two years of undergraduate done there and then the frist 2 years of medschool done at Dartmouth and then the final 2 clinical med school years done back in Rhode Island. Is there anyone here that went through that and if so what kind of debt did you incure from it........?
Edited Jan 16, 2009 at 1:43 PM
This is how they do it in rest of the world, specifically commonwealth countries: Students enter med school after grade 12( they enter by passing tough competitive exams).
The first 18 months they study Biochem, Physio, Anatomy in depth with classes in these subjects every day, daily anatomy dissection, 1-2 histology labs, three times a week Physiology and Biochem lab.In fact the mornings are devoted to didactics and afternoon to hands on work. This makes up for what is taught in 4 year college ( Bio-Organic chem). In most countries students read and understand Harper's Biochemistry and Ganong's physiology and master most pages of Gray's anatomy in 18 m. In fact there are no formal tests or exams for 18 months, no assignments and homework, just to reduce the stress of preparing for the test. The reason students are able to consistently do well is because they are tapped young around 16-17 years when they are full of energy , driven to succeed and capable of learning under extremely gruelling cirriculum. Physicis ( other than biophysics as a part of physiology) is not formally taught in medical school as those in the science stream study quite leisurely -Physics, inorganic, organic chem, Math, Botany and Zoology from grade 8 to 12)..The clinical years are the same as in the US. All the arguments favoring the 4 year college with obscure mandatory subjects like "eastern religions" " foreign languages" with very superficial treatment of difficult subjects like Sanskrit , french or Arabic are unnecessary and expensive. Those who really want to do these can join appropriate courses and study them in depth.
We need to start kicking butt around 7th grade and tell kids that they have to decide on their majors by 9th grade if they want to enter college. Those without the aptitude should not be wasting their time and money in 4 year college system.
Edited Jan 16, 2009 at 2:57 PM
I think many are looking at this from the wrong approach. In Europe, college and med/school are combined and accelerated. Why? Because education is either free or heavily subsidized. The state wants the doc on the fast track so he/she can get out and into the clinic that much faster. Here, the physician pays for every minute of his own education. I for one loved my undergraduate years, and would not trade them for anything. Med school was a different story (see my earlier post). I certainly don't buy the BS that medical school funding is such a huge cost to society. It may be that universities take on more complex, freebie care. However, to suggest that the med students (who basically spend the last 2 years doing scut and paying for the privilege) are getting some sort of "deal" is ludicrous. I think med schools should charge tuition the first 2 years. During the last 2 years, they should pay the med students (at least minimum wage, which with all the hours and overtime should come to a decent salary) , who are basically slave-labor anyway. In the event of a national health service, I would toss this system out the window. Then, medical school will be just "job training", and med students should be paid for their time.

I was lucky to attend a great undergraduate university. Wonderful social life and strong academics. I took the usual bio/pre-med route, but also took art history, economics, finance, philosophy, theology, psychology. Loved them all. I'm also glad I took physics and organic chemistry. I can't imagine NOT knowing these subjects well. They are useful in my practice of medicine, and they certainly helped when the kids had a homework question! My complaint with today's college curriculum isn't the 4 years, but rather some of the asinine P.C. required courses (scrolling through my kids' college course catalogs makes me cringe, esp. at 55k/yr.).

As physicians continue to see a decrease in respect and reimbursement while the risks and responsibilities continue to mount, I think we need to reassess what we "owe" society. I for one am happy to have had such a well-rounded education. My outside interests and hobbies have kept me sane and (I'd like to think anyway) a better clinician. Certainly guards against burnout. I would have no wish to skip my undergrad years so that I could rush out to do more years of medicine. Especially now.
bpoterjoy Pediatrics
Edited Jan 16, 2009 at 3:17 PM
basicsci---- I never said I didnt like college. I attended a Catholic school and thus had a heavy load of philosophy and theology. I had a blast and made great friends. However, looking back at my last 11 years out of college/in medicine, I am not sure that it was worth the money spent. I busted my butt in a Bio program, only to re-take the same stuff in med school. Yes, it prepped me well for med school, but was it "necessary". The more I contemplate the issue, I wonder if it is worthwhile to have a scheme that went: 1 year of basic sciences, then 2 years of "medical classes", then the clerkships, no pre-req of a college degree, and everyone regardless does the same track. Yes, it would put some at a disadvantage----I probably would not have gotten into a med school out of high school as I went to a rinky dink public HS in the boondocks, and found other things to do with life during adolescence (mostly work, music, and sports). But at least it would give the very motivated person an option rather than pissing away 4 years taking classes that he/she would only repeat in med school.
As to why should med students pay for the 3-4th year, I agree with your premise that they are "paying for the priveledge to be there"....not sure how covering a med students malpractice fits into the equation, and the other "business-relateed expenses".

BTW- if someone has an outside interest other than medicine, I imagine that it will be present regardless of attending college...
Posted Jan 16, 2009 at 3:24 PM
basicscience: Having intense interest and competence in areas outside univ. courses is a function of individual interest. It has nothing to do with semester long superficial education in "college" Don't have to spend a fortune to do this...
Edited Jan 16, 2009 at 5:10 PM
bpoterjoy and nsmurali.....agree with your comments. Certainly some repetition in med school is wasteful, and many undergrad courses are bogus. Physicians have an educational burden in terms of time and expense which is not equaled in any other profession. College could probably done in 3 years, and med school in another 3. I mainly enjoyed the 4 years of college from a social standpoint =). Also took the minimal bio load, so did not repeat too many courses. Did not mean to imply that one needs college to be well-rounded, just that it benefited ME tremendously.

As far as the med students, shouldn't need malpractice, other than under the hospital's umbrella. They're functioning as iv techs, secretaries, gophers, the **** rolls downhill-hospital employees. Not physicians.

gpbbcs5 Pediatrics
Posted Jan 16, 2009 at 11:31 PM
Came to this thread late - went to school when loans were running 8-13%. I owe more than 2 times my yearly salary before taxes. I've paid it down from 3 times my salary so I suppose that's progress. I have 21 more years of payments. I would not recommend a career in medicine to anyone who is not wealthy enough to afford the tuition and the delay or lapse in income for the 7+ years that is required after college. Especially if they have or want to have a family....
DrGGrayson Pulmonology
Posted Jan 18, 2009 at 7:52 PM
While I haven't any debt and didn't have any when I graduated (1965) now I find I cannot attract anybody to join me because of the humungous amount of debt service that they have to deal with
Posted Jan 18, 2009 at 9:24 PM
DrGG: that is so true. It is almost like the doctors are setting themselves for abuse by joining Medicine. The old time approach of a local community paying for its best students to attend school and inviting them to practice in their own communities needs to be revived. If 80% of the medical school seats are reserved for such sponsored candidates we might be able to solve the crisis of shortage of practicing physicians. A community that invests in its physicians is more likely to respect and nurture them..
abc1530 OBGYN
Posted Jan 19, 2009 at 12:44 PM
thank you for taking up this issue!
sly1977 OBGYN
Posted Jan 19, 2009 at 5:56 PM
I wouldn't give up my undergrad experience for anything! But I was lucky enough to come out with only 5k in debt that I pretty much paid off before going to med school.

I think the med school tuition is ridiculous. I don't think that society as a whole supports higher education the way that it should. There should be more programs for tuition reimbursement for working in underserved communities. When I looked into these as a med student they were not attractive. The only other option is to join the armed forces.
artista93 OBGYN
Posted Jan 19, 2009 at 6:39 PM
I read in AMA news that one insurance company is now reimbursing at 70% of what medicare pays. Why would anyone go into medicine with an almost guaranteed decrease in pay every year? I made my decision to go into an oncology fellowship when the reimbursement was $8000+/long oncology surgical case and busy onc's were making $750,00- $1,000,000+/year. By the end of my fellowship, long cases were reimbursed at <$4000/long surgical case and gyn onc's were making <$500,000/y and within the past 2y this has dropped to <$2000/long oncology case and <$300,000/y but working ridiculously hard to make even that. I am now operating a cash business with projected income of around $300,00/y which is not likely to happen in today's economy but am so far into debt that i have to make something work. I am looking at an internet business apart from my medical practice because I know I can never make $1,000,000 doing medicine, even in a cash business and I want to have the resources to do medical missions in third world countries. I can't get there with the current reimbursement plans in place. In fact, I will have a hard time putting my 3 children into college without diversifying my career into another venue other than medicine. Don't think for a minute that I want any of my children to go into medicine, who are part of the brightest and best, unless there is a radical change. Making 30% of what we made in 1980 is simply NOT acceptable. Making 70% of what the reduced fee for service of medicare pays is NOT acceptable. Medicare started out paying about 30% of what insurance paid and that ratio needs to be re-established but our lame government who is owned by foreign money, insurance companies and attornies say it is the fault of the physicians who got us into this ridiculous reimbursement mess. It is not the fault of the physicians who continued their passion in taking care of our communities even in the face of declining reimbursements. It is the greed of the insurance companies who are pillaging our nation!!!! If we all quit together, our reimbursement will change but at a very high price.
Posted Jan 19, 2009 at 6:51 PM
Those of you who are complaining of med school tuition probably do not have children in US undergrad schools. Average cost $40000/year even for state schools ( they mandate staying in their dorms, paying for food,paying for a lot of stuff including basketball and football teams etc.). Academics is is largely sidelined with lot of "feel-good" mandatory courses...again people get what they ask for... Today an US student entering med school with loans starting from undergrad is looking at over 1/2 a million., not 200K. .A foreign medical graduate may have as little as 100K in loans even in today's market because they avoid the meaningful " life-enhancing experience" of 4 year college. .
Faebinder Psychiatry
Posted Jan 20, 2009 at 12:37 AM
I have over 300k in loans... not sure if they will ever be repaid.
Leland Family Medicine
Edited Jan 20, 2009 at 9:42 PM
Life enhancing experiences are priceless. What would life be without life enhancing experiences ? Would some of you prefer to just study in your youth and work like dogs the rest of your life ? Honestly, life is too short !

artista93 OBGYN
Edited Jan 20, 2009 at 10:02 PM
Medical school debt would not be an issue if we were paid commensurate with our services provided. My expenses are not 30% of what they were, or would have been if I had been in practice, in 1980 so why is my pay????? The issue to be discussed is not how expensive medical school is, It is why is it so high in light of the very low salaries of physicians and how do we get the salary to match the expense of the education?
Leland Family Medicine
Posted Jan 21, 2009 at 10:25 AM
artista93 makes a very good point. Anyone who has needed a plummer or an electrician for an urgent home repair recently must be amazed that they can charge the sums they command, when our patients seem outraged sometimes that they have to spend any money out of pocket at all ! Something is wrong with organized medicine that this philosophical trend has been allowed to flourish over the past several decades, without any effective intervention having been elaborated in our defence. In fact I think some of the priorities that have been at the top of the agenda for our national organizations may have encouraged this mentality in the larger society !!!

Posted Jan 21, 2009 at 1:52 PM
No other profession gets paid by a third party. No other profession is expected to absorb the cost of free services rendered. No other profession is subject to our malpractice risk. No other profession requires such a huge educational cost in terms of both time and money. These are issues I didn't think about til AFTER training. I sure think about them now.
DrSteph Internal Medicine
Posted Jan 22, 2009 at 5:48 PM
I cannot tell you how many military recruiters have come to me as a female primary care physician -- and made it sound very appealing. Then I slap myself and wake up from the lie that it is the solution -- after going through what often seemed like war and complete sleep deprivation in the clinical training years in med school and residency ( often 120 hour weeks), I am not anxious to return to a similar situation.

It would almost be easier to just say screw it and there is no way I can pay it... like many people who got in way over their own heads with balloon mortgages....
msowada Internal Medicine
Posted Jan 24, 2009 at 12:47 AM
I guess one good thing about being older is that you can tell all the younger doctors that when I went to medical school in the late 1970's in Texas, the oil patch allowed medical students to pay only $300 per year for tuition (out of state tuition higher of course).
edwestrfld Anesthesiology
Edited Jan 24, 2009 at 9:51 PM
my wife and i finished in 1979 with a combined $120K of debt. Considering we were getting paid $12K/yr, during residency, that meant moonlighting, which I did. Once we went in to practice, we put all our efforts into paying these loans off, which we did in 5-6 years.

Since that time, poor and middle class kids are accumulating unsustainable amounts of debt to go to medical school and residency. I work with students, and it still floors me to hear them be almost blase' in taking on $2-250K or more in debt. Knowing what they will be making, I know they can never pay off the debt, along with starting families, buying a house, saving for their kids and retirement. As a strictly financial investment, no sane financial advisor would EVER tell you to invest $250K in a medical education, with the ROI being essentially negative.

These are societal issues that are getting ready to be exacerbated massively. I fully expect Obama and the liberal Dems to push through some form of nationalized health care, in that what they pass through legislation, will carry some form of requirment, linked to licensure, to take all comers in your office. Considering the entire nation is broke and being layed off as we speak, there is no money in the system to increase payment to physicians(plenty for banks though and the bonsuses they pay the associates).

The real crisis is yet to come, and that is going to be when you see docs leaving medicine for completely unrelated fields. Most docs have not left medicine yet, as they still have golden hand cuffs on. In primary care, the cuffs are off. This is why you are seeing the temporizing measures, like accepting no insurances or doing some form of concierge practice, in an attempt to make a financially viable practice. First thing Obama does is "outlaw" all of these. Then the real exodus starts.

So get used to the idea of seeing your old family doc asking you "if you want that cappacino wet or dry?"
Posted Jan 24, 2009 at 10:37 PM
Nationalized healthcare, if introduced must be combined with heavily subsidized college and med school education (as in other socialist countries)..
Posted Jan 24, 2009 at 11:11 PM
which will not happen.
curacao Internal Medicine
Posted Jan 24, 2009 at 11:37 PM
it's going to be pretty hard to attract the "best and the brightest" to medicine.

like edwestfld says, "no sane financial advisor would EVER tell you to invest $250K in a medical education, with the ROI being essentially negative."

For my own healthcare, it's hard to find a primary care physician who isn't burned out and jaded and cutting corners in patient care just to survive, financially and emotionally.

Nationalized medicine will not fix this mess. I fear getting my healthcare from an NP or a PA.

Those who think midlevels will fix access to care (what about quality of care?) will be really devastated when they lose "us" (physicians) and have these lesser-trained people as (poor) substitutes! Midlevels are NOT equivalent to physicians.
Posted Jan 25, 2009 at 12:03 AM
DrSteph, my wife works for the VA, and I have many doc friends who did military careers. From my perspective, either place is the only place in American society that a primary care doc can practice today. It is not a lie, but a very acceptable and honorable alternative, that pays well, and allows you to practice without many of the restrictions placed on us by insurance companies. If the military picks up and forgives your educational debt, how do you lose?
sly1977 OBGYN
Edited Jan 26, 2009 at 9:05 PM
basicscience, if anyone had told premed college students about those issues you raised there would be less in medicine now.

But then again when i shadowed docs as a premed in the late 90's and they had the exasperated "medicine has changed so much" refrain and talked about reimbursement, showed me the increased paperwork-did I listen then?

What about during my white coat ceremony in med school, when the faculty predicted the obstacles we would face throughout our training and that we would recieve a new loan every semester for tens of thousands of dollars, but "don't worry you'll be in the best profession in the world and you'll be able to afford it"- did i listen then?

And as a third year med student, rotating with grouchy urologists who noted in their heyday that they made 900K (sure), now seeing major income drops with 10 yrs to go until retirement- did I listen then? Maybe I was at the point of no return when I was that far into med school.

The reality is that no one knows how dire it is until you are experiencing it personally. These med students are blase about their loans b/c someone told them "you'll be a doctor and make money soon." If someone had told me how long it takes to pay off these loans with concrete info, I would have been a miser in med school.
Posted Jan 26, 2009 at 9:38 PM
Do read Forbes the latest issue...
Posted Jan 26, 2009 at 9:41 PM
nsmurali - which one? (date?)
doctorfurl Family Medicine
Posted Feb 02, 2009 at 3:53 AM
Just a side note.

Does anyone give money to their medical school when they send out those cards for us to "donate to the cause". I can't even make my current loan payments. How in the hell will I ever be able to give anything? Why would I? I can't justify putting someone else through this...

What will happen when alumni financial support dries up? Is the current and past amount given enough to be missed once it is gone?
Posted Feb 02, 2009 at 8:34 AM
sp1n: let me look at it and I will get the info correctly.
Dandy8 Orthopaedics
Posted Feb 02, 2009 at 9:26 AM
I was reviewing my credentialing file at my hospital. In it was a note of a conversation with the human resources person who was verifying dates of graduation and the former financial aid person at my medical school. This financial aid woman was saying how I would not do the options she recommended and how I had not treated the university well after graduation. I had paid off my university loan (at 9% interest). This university presented potential aid packages then once you enrolled gave you much less so I never planned to give them anything more than what I owed. I am so steamed.
Leland Family Medicine
Posted Feb 06, 2009 at 11:30 PM
I do send an annual check to my Medical School. I could understand, given some of the above horror stories, why some more recent alumni would not be as supportive. When I attended Med School, the annual tuition was about the same as what I spent as an undergraduate. This was not ancient history, I graduated in 1980, from a prominent midwestern Med School. The annual tuition did not exceed $ 6000. per year. I don't think the faculty made the kind of income expected across the board now. They viewed teaching the ancient art as an honor and a high privilege. I graduated with just a nominal amount of debt, which I easily paid off within a decade (and for a very trivial monthly sum, actually). I really don't fully understand how everything has changed so drastically. I am more thankful for the gift that I was given than I was when I was a young physician. I think I felt the process for admission was so selective that in effect, the Medical Students of my era attended school largely on a scholarship basis. I always loved the vast majority of our professors, but now I also regard them as saints !

Posted Feb 07, 2009 at 12:22 AM
sp1n: Look at Forbes Feb 2nd issue
Posted Feb 07, 2009 at 11:19 PM
nsmurali - thanks.