Think I have a shot at MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevaznboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from MA.

3.6 gpa, science gpa is a bit lower

My MCAT is only a 28, 10s in sciences, and an 8 in verbal. I do not want to take the new test =/

I am a first generation college student, both my parents did not go to college and were divorced when I was little. I did not grow up speaking English as my primary language. Not URM. But def will be checking off the box for socioeconomically disadvantaged.

Should I just apply early and broadly? Still working on my application. Admittedly I do prefer to stay in-state, which may not be realistic. The undergrad I did attend, however, has an MD school here.

Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have my list handy right now, so invest in MSAR Online and target schools whose median stats are closest to your own. There are ~10 MD schools for which a 28 MCAT is > the 10th %ile of their matriculants. You're fine for any DO school, except AZCOM. I can't recommend LUCOM.

I am from MA.

3.6 gpa, science gpa is a bit lower

My MCAT is only a 28, 10s in sciences, and an 8 in verbal. I do not want to take the new test =/

I am a first generation college student, both my parents did not go to college and were divorced when I was little. I did not grow up speaking English as my primary language. Not URM. But def will be checking off the box for socioeconomically disadvantaged.

Should I just apply early and broadly? Still working on my application. Admittedly I do prefer to stay in-state, which may not be realistic. The undergrad I did attend, however, has an MD school here.

Thanks everyone

You have a chance. Apply early. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
how old is your MCAT

it is only from last year.

I do need to get my essays and apps started/finished though - so hard to write a coherent, super-sounding essay after long periods of not writing anything at all

it is only from last year.

I do need to get my essays and apps started/finished though - so hard to write a coherent, super-sounding essay after long periods of not writing anything at all
Basically it will only be instate MD's and only the low end ones. I was in a very similar situation. Only got interviews to places with very specific missions (like primary care, instate etc.). I would apply to a handful of DO schools that you like and plan more on that.

Reactions: 1 user
Basically it will only be instate MD's and only the low end ones. I was in a very similar situation. Only got interviews to places with very specific missions (like primary care, instate etc.). I would apply to a handful of DO schools that you like and plan more on that.
Id have to agree here, I'm actually in almost the exact same boat as you stats-wise. we are low tier MD applicants at best and about average for DO matriculants.

Yep. Apply to: low-tier MDs, in-state MDs, and a broad range of DOs.

Reactions: 1 user