Jun 13, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
So I submitted 3 letters, not realizing that they were going to be tied to my primary for every school. They're 2 science and 1 additional faculty. I have a doctor letter that will be submitted next week which makes my total up to 4. The doctor letter will have to be submitted anyway since it is required. I just looked up one of the schools and they say that more than 3 is not encouraged. How bad is this going to look? I was hoping to use my boss's LOR in place of the additional faculty but without realizing, I saw one school said 2 science and 1 additional faculty so I had those letters submitted to aacomas. I know my boss's LOR was going to be my strongest. :arghh:

NonTrad16

2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I think most schools would recognize that the AACOMAS system (for whatever reason) sends all letters to all schools. Many secondaries provide room to detail which letters are being used for what requirement, so if you haven't submitted for that school, I would just outline which letters you want used. Otherwise... it happens and it would be a weird thing to 'punish' an applicant for.

I had a LOR without letterhead/signature logged into AACOMAS, and then had to re-upload a new letter. The system won't allow you to delete letters, so I have two by the same writer going to every school. Still got two DO II's. C'est la vie!

Reactions: DocPanda
OP
DocPanda
Jun 13, 2016
Status
I think most schools would recognize that the AACOMAS system (for whatever reason) sends all letters to all schools. Many secondaries provide room to detail which letters are being used for what requirement, so if you haven't submitted for that school, I would just outline which letters you want used. Otherwise... it happens and it would be a weird thing to 'punish' an applicant for.

I had a LOR without letterhead/signature logged into AACOMAS, and then had to re-upload a new letter. The system won't allow you to delete letters, so I have two by the same writer going to every school. Still got two DO II's. C'est la vie!
That's awesome you still got II's! I went ahead and submitted my app since there was nothing I could do. The good thing is I only submitted those 3 LOR and held back from submitting the other ones I have already. Hopefully the secondaries will provide room to upload separate ones. I'm a non-trad so my science ones probably won't be as good and I would hate it if those were the only LOR that they see when I have much stronger LOR from recent work and courses.

lnguyen1412

2+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I submitted 5 and accepted.
No worries. Most secondaries will allow you to list contact of recommendators

OP
DocPanda
Jun 13, 2016
Status
Reviving this thread for a follow up question. If your letters are already tied to your AACOMAS app but the secondaries ask you to send the letters to the school, are you suppose to send it again? And if you're using interfolio, do you just enter the school name to have those letters sent?

OP
DocPanda
Jun 13, 2016
Status
Which schools say that more than 3 is not encouraged?
I don't remember which specific school said that, but I'm also not seeing anywhere in the secondary for the schools I've looked at that says you can send in more than the number of LOR they're requesting. For the MD schools, they specify that min 3 and max 5 or something, but I don't really see that for the DO secondaries.

Marrowist

Bone Boy
2+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2016
Status
You are fine. They will understand.

OP
DocPanda
Jun 13, 2016
Status
I submitted 5 and accepted.
No worries. Most secondaries will allow you to list contact of recommendators
Did you have to submit the letters directly to the school or were they able to just download them from your app and only read the letters from the people you indicated in the secondary? I have 4 letters tied to my primary application and one of the school I submitted requires only 2 and they asked me to list the recommendors in the secondary app portion. Just wondering if you need to submit them directly to the school or they'll just choose them from your app.

Thanks!

lnguyen1412

2+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Did you have to submit the letters directly to the school or were they able to just download them from your app and only read the letters from the people you indicated in the secondary? I have 4 letters tied to my primary application and one of the school I submitted requires only 2 and they asked me to list the recommendors in the secondary app portion. Just wondering if you need to submit them directly to the school or they'll just choose them from your app.

Thanks!
I just send all 5 of my letters to aacomas and whatever schools want to see, I think they can pick out. Some schools ask you to choose on secondary.

OP
DocPanda
Jun 13, 2016
Status
I just send all 5 of my letters to aacomas and whatever schools want to see, I think they can pick out. Some schools ask you to choose on secondary.
Thanks! That's what I'm doing. I sent it all to AACOMAS instead of pick and choosing individual ones to send to each school because that cost a lot more.

Jul 29, 2016
Status
Submitted 6 through AACOMAS and another by DO doctor to a select few of schools (msucom, azcom, ccom, nyit) so we will see lol