Think twice about being a dentist!! Read this!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

straightsmile4u

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI,

Read my blog about why I gave up the field of dentistry. I am trying to reveal the truth to some of you before you make some of the same mistakes I did.

http://straightsmile4u.blogspot.com/

Members don't see this ad.

So... you say Dentistry is expensive?

Cool, nice to know.

Reactions: 1 user
"There's never a good time to have kids while getting your higher education, at some point you make time for them." - Every physician and dentist I've ever shadowed.

Members don't see this ad :)
So having a career in dentistry is difficult?

I had no idea!

::Goes to withdraw from dental school::

To be fair the OP has a legitimate point.

How can a female expect to work "part time" or take "maternity leave" when she has $400k in loans? How can she afford to put time aside for her family if she has that much to pay off?
Because established female dentists have done it in the past, doesn't mean that it will work out for future grads. Tuition was way more manageable back then.

At some point most female dental students/dentists in their 20s want to start a family, but I just don't see it financially feasible with such large debts unless one has a rich husband.

To be fair the OP has a legitimate point.

How can a female expect to work "part time" or take "maternity leave" when she has $400k in loans? How can she afford to put time aside for her family if she has that much to pay off?
Because established female dentists have done it in the past, doesn't mean that it will work out for future grads. Tuition was way more manageable back then.

At some point most female dental students/dentists in their 20s want to start a family, but I just don't see it financially feasible with such large debts unless one has a rich husband.

It's all perspective. Sure it may be harder for female dentists, but one of the dentists I shadowed is a general practitioner relatively recent Case grad c/o '08, and she has a family with two kids and never complained one bit about her debt. She's still in the process of paying it off and probably will be for the following decade or so, but it's nowhere near as crippling as the OP made it sound. Not every female wants to be a stay-home mom or full-time housewife, and once kids reach a certain age they require much less provision and maternal care. Then what? Are you going to stay home and do nothing, or work at a convenience store?

Should have married a rich husband so you wouldn't have to work, amirite?

Hmm, why can't you work once or twice a week at mom and pop dental office that are looking for orthodontist with with 37-50% of production? I heard they are more family oriented and has work life balance. Or non-profit?

You husband must be loaded (excuse my language) for you to retire at 38!

It seems that you lost your drive and passion from the corporate that is pushing for production output and profit margin. That is exactly I will stay away from dental chain.

Let us know, when you return to dentistry again!

OP has only taken a leave of absence from her career. She has already obtained a DDS + MSD. Whose to say she is not going to re-enter the field in 5+ years. She's gotta chill for a sec.

This proves that she has more free time than she knows what to do with...now I understand!

OP has only taken a leave of absence from her career. She has already obtained a DDS + MSD. Whose to say she is not going to re-enter the field in 5+ years. She's gotta chill for a sec.

That's what's wrong here. She has those credentials, yet she's dismissing dentistry as a completely useless and life-crippling profession to a population that doesn't have them (and frankly, don't have anything to fall back on like she does).

Members don't see this ad :)
So you willingly became a dentist and were able to retire at 38... sounds pretty good to me. So many women would love to be in the situation you are in instead of working.

Do whatever makes you happy and fulfilled. Im glad that you found that happiness raising your children. However, not everyone on here wants kids or is thinking about starting a family. To many of us, pursuing dentistry is our joy.

HI,Read my blog about why I gave up the field of dentistry. I am trying to reveal the truth to some of you before you make some of the same mistakes I did.http://straightsmile4u.blogspot.com/

The "truth" about dentistry has always been there. One can choose to either not hear it or completely ignore it. One has choice of using the available "free" time to either work part time as an orthodontist or write a blog.

You made it seem like a big deal. I clicked the link thinking of bad news that might ruin Dentistry, but it was about kids.

by the time you apply to dental school, you are an adult and you should know what you want. Kids and medicine, dental, law .. etc usually don't mix up and this is well-known fact. You should've picked different career if you wanted kids badly.

+ Maybe you failed at making time for your kids, but other women might succeed.

My mom was a full time physician, she went back to work like 30 days after giving birth, and she still managed to rock the whole motherhood thing. She did great and I'm thankful for what she's done in her career and with me. Some people can balance family, and I guess some people can't.

Seriously though, I would have thought dentistry would be the perfect job for a woman that wanted a family and a career. Assuming she isn't saddled with a ton of debt of course.

Not sure if this can be generalized to both male and female professionals.

"They tell you in school that they just "give away" loans to buy a practice. This simply isn't true anymore. You need collateral. What kind of collateral does a student have? Are you parents willing to cosign? If not, you are out of luck."

There's a collateral assignment that mitigates a lender's risk by your signing over your life insurance insurance, disability insurance, or overhead insurance until full repayment is made.

"...so many of my friends and classmates are still single."

The biggest difference between you and others is this single word. You can't simply compare the life of a single person with the life of a married person and definitely not the life of a parent.

Seriously though, I would have thought dentistry would be the perfect job for a woman that wanted a family and a career. Assuming she isn't saddled with a ton of debt of course.

As a woman, I think dentistry is MUCH more appealing than many medical options. I would be lying if I said that the greater opportunity for family time wasn't a big draw for me. I think I could be happy as a medical physician, but I think I will be much happier and fulfilled as a dentist. I'm sure this is the case for many of us.

Yes, women graduate from DS with debt. But, I'm assuming that most female dentists who decide to have kids do so within the confines of marriage. Kids are a big deal in the first place, but I think they're an even bigger deal in a career like this because you have to carefully allocate your time. I may be wrong about this, though.

Personally, though, there's no way in heck I'd have kids--ESPECIALLY in a career like this--without a husband there along with me. And the husband should work, right? So it's not like the loans just sit there and accrue interest while the woman takes maternity leave.

My boyfriend (might as well be fiancé, but he isn't simply because we're both undergrads with no way of affording a marriage) is going to law school. When we finally have a kid, it will undoubtedly be me taking time off work. Maybe I take off six weeks. Maybe, for the first 5 years of my child's life, I practice with another dentist and only work until 12 each day. Who knows--I'll cross that bridge 10+ years from now. I'll make it work. Actually, my husband and I will make it work. Even if I'm making a lesser income than usual, he'll still be making money.

I understand that this career is very demanding of my time and that certain sacrifices have to be made. I don't plan on having a kid until I am established, which will probably be when I'm 33-35. More than that, I only plan on having one kid unless God decides to give me twins or (gulp!) triplets.

Family is super important to me. I want to spend time with my family, and I think this career will afford me the opportunity to do so. It's not outrageously high-stress, and there aren't many "on-call" duties (if any, really).

I also want to provide a nice life for my family. I feel confident that my salary, especially when combined with my husband's, will enable us to live very well. He won't have any debt because of parental contributions, and I am trying to minimize mine as much as possible. Beyond that, I want to pay my debt off as quickly as possible. I might not live like a "dentist" for a few years, but it will be well worth it in the long term. After the initial hump, I don't want to have to worry about money again. I think this is feasible with common sense and not wanting to live "extravagantly" in everything I do.

I realize this isn't a very thorough "hashing out" of my plans, but you get the gist of it. It's doable. It just takes planning, a willingness to make it work, and ideally a spouse to help.

I am somewhat turned off by the over-sensationalized tone of the OP. Also, the vast majority of the problems she points out aren't about being a dentist (or physician or lawyer), they are about having a full time career.

I'm still a pre-dent (and male) but I am convinced that dentistry is closer to being the most flexible profession/career than it is to being the least flexible. I have had a retail job at the mall and I also tried working in a corporate environment. I can guarantee you that my other jobs would be a lot worse in terms of having family time.

As a woman, I think dentistry is MUCH more appealing than many medical options. I would be lying if I said that the greater opportunity for family time wasn't a big draw for me. I think I could be happy as a medical physician, but I think I will be much happier and fulfilled as a dentist. I'm sure this is the case for many of us.

Yes, women graduate from DS with debt. But, I'm assuming that most female dentists who decide to have kids do so within the confines of marriage. Kids are a big deal in the first place, but I think they're an even bigger deal in a career like this because you have to carefully allocate your time. I may be wrong about this, though.

Personally, though, there's no way in heck I'd have kids--ESPECIALLY in a career like this--without a husband there along with me. And the husband should work, right? So it's not like the loans just sit there and accrue interest while the woman takes maternity leave.

My boyfriend (might as well be fiancé, but he isn't simply because we're both undergrads with no way of affording a marriage) is going to law school. When we finally have a kid, it will undoubtedly be me taking time off work. Maybe I take off six weeks. Maybe, for the first 5 years of my child's life, I practice with another dentist and only work until 12 each day. Who knows--I'll cross that bridge 10+ years from now. I'll make it work. Actually, my husband and I will make it work. Even if I'm making a lesser income than usual, he'll still be making money.

I understand that this career is very demanding of my time and that certain sacrifices have to be made. I don't plan on having a kid until I am established, which will probably be when I'm 33-35. More than that, I only plan on having one kid unless God decides to give me twins or (gulp!) triplets.

Family is super important to me. I want to spend time with my family, and I think this career will afford me the opportunity to do so. It's not outrageously high-stress, and there aren't many "on-call" duties (if any, really).

I also want to provide a nice life for my family. I feel confident that my salary, especially when combined with my husband's, will enable us to live very well. He won't have any debt because of parental contributions, and I am trying to minimize mine as much as possible. Beyond that, I want to pay my debt off as quickly as possible. I might not live like a "dentist" for a few years, but it will be well worth it in the long term. After the initial hump, I don't want to have to worry about money again. I think this is feasible with common sense and not wanting to live "extravagantly" in everything I do.

I realize this isn't a very thorough "hashing out" of my plans, but you get the gist of it. It's doable. It just takes planning, a willingness to make it work, and ideally a spouse to help.

Man, I need to find a girl that thinks like this. You sound like you have it figured out.:thumbup:

I would have to agree that dentistry is more flexible than almost any other profession. Try finding other jobs that allow one to work 3-4 days a week and still make a solid income. There aren't many.

I am somewhat turned off by the over-sensationalized tone of the OP. Also, the vast majority of the problems she points out aren't about being a dentist (or physician or lawyer), they are about having a full time career.

I'm still a pre-dent (and male) but I am convinced that dentistry is closer to being the most flexible profession/career than it is to being the least flexible. I have had a retail job at the mall and I also tried working in a corporate environment. I can guarantee you that my other jobs would be a lot worse in terms of having family time.

I was turned off by it too, so I decided to find out more about her story:

www.honolulu magazine.com/core/pagetools.php?pageid=5284&url=%2FHonolulu-Magazine%2FFebruary-2005%2FA-License-to-Drill%2F&mode=print

She was having trouble becoming licensed to practice in Hawaii due to some red tape, and failed a licensure exam, the ADEX. It kind of sounds like walking away from dentistry was less of a choice than she is making it out to be.

+1 :thumbup: I couldn't have said it better myself Glimmer1991!

OP: As a woman, I have always been independent and I hope the day I have kids, my future husband and I take turns in taking care of our children. I'm sure you meant well in writing up this blog but what works for you does not apply to everyone.

Being a mom is her passion... it makes sense she wouldn't want to work all day

Last edited:

Law crashed. Unless he goes to a T12, he'll be folding shirts at Nordstroms

Law crashed. Unless he goes to a T12, he'll be folding shirts at Nordstroms

Luckily, both his father and grandfather were lawyers (and good ones). He has a practice to walk right into, and we live in a fairly rural area without much competition (in both dental and law).
I feel honored that this was your first post. :p

:thumbup:

It's like you have a tap into my brain; it's why I've been considering dentistry. I shadow my dentist in two weeks. :D

Anything's possible. And the OP had a negative experience- and there's people that have negative experiences regardless of profession. I suppose it's good to be aware of that, if for nothing else; knowing what happened in her case and trying your hardest not to repeat the mistakes.

Also, another way to pay off a lot of the loans- HPSP. But I hear it's mad competitive. ^^;

Luckily, both his father and grandfather were lawyers (and good ones). He has a practice to walk right into, and we live in a fairly rural area without much competition (in both dental and law).

He thought it'd be a Bonding experience. :naughty:

good post Glimmer. My girlfriend and I are in the same kinda boat. It is doable. My gf's mother is a doctor and she had time to raise kids. Girlfriend plans on going to medschool as well. We already kinda planned when she will get pregnant.

No one can have their cake and eat it too. Not if you want to be a successful professional. You cannot work full time, have a family, raise your kids as a stay at home parent, and have free time, travel, etc all at the same time. As a professional myself, I know that being a professional inherently requires hours of learning your profession/trade and hours executing that trade, learning more, being involved in other aspects of the profession, etc. This does not allow me to pursue everything else I'd like to do at the same time because there are only 24 hours a day.

In your blog, you could easily take out every time you mention "dentist" on the blog and insert "lawyer" or "doctor" or any other profession that requires hard work and time. Of course, if you do not want to put in the long hours, you will get paid less or have a less desirable job. That is just logical.

In other professions, there are also people upset that they can't work part-time, make good money, and be able to be with their kids 24-7. Of course they can't get that, because it is literally scientifically impossible to be in a profession that requires you to work on certain matters for certain periods of time and still be a full time parent. If you want a job that allows that type of lifestyle, then you should pursue a more traditional 9-5 job...and you will likely get paid less as non-professionals give up pay for other aspects in their lifestyle.

However, I do agree with others that being a dentist is more conducive to leading a more balanced, happy life than some other professions.

I've seen plenty of women with full time jobs do a fine job raising kids - my mom for one. My dentist is a male, but he works about 32 hours a week and still has plenty of time for his kids. No, you can't be with them *all the time.* But you can be with them a lot more than many other women in the workforce as a dentist, because you can make your own hours and you make much more than women in other fields.

As far as a profession goes, dentistry is extremely flexible compared to most minus the years of training. I know more than a handful of doctors who's wives are dentists because it is more flexible.

But what is wrong with the OP explaining her point of view and what she has learned from her experience? We get the opposite of her point of view every single day of our lives as we grow up that you need a strong career to be fulfilled. I am not trying to convince anyone, I just agree with OP. my wife is going to be a stay at home mom when we have kids sometime in dental school. When possible, it shouldn't be discounted out right. It's definitely not for everyone.

Again not try to convince anyone. I'm just saying people don't need to get so defensive when people bring up being a stay at home mom. As someone with a mom, six aunts, and a sister in law who are stay at home moms, I have seen defensive responses a lot. Let her have her opinion.

I've seen plenty of women with full time jobs do a fine job raising kids - my mom for one. My dentist is a male, but he works about 32 hours a week and still has plenty of time for his kids. No, you can't be with them *all the time.* But you can be with them a lot more than many other women in the workforce as a dentist, because you can make your own hours and you make much more than women in other fields.

Agreed. Once you establish yourself in an office or hospital, you could work part-time as a dentist and still probably make 70,000.

Maternity leave is only six weeks out of a woman's life. Not going to plan my life around it.

HI,

Read my blog about why I gave up the field of dentistry. I am trying to reveal the truth to some of you before you make some of the same mistakes I did.

http://straightsmile4u.blogspot.com/

Your "warning" and blog are some of the dumbest things I have ever heard or read. Have you ever had a real job? (No, sorry--orthodontist is not a real job). If there were one career ON THE PLANET that would easily allow you to "have it all" (ie, be a mom and have a career, work part-time, control your hours, whatever), it is ORTHODONTIST. Seriously. Get a real job during your "leave." You will count your lucky stars when you realize how good you have it relative to 98% of people out there (many of whom are mothers working full-time) who are working 50+ hours per week to make 50K.

Your post and blog are the most asinine thing I have ever read. You are clueless about reality. And by the way--200K in loans total to be an orthodontist (the value quoted on your website) would be a a great deal.

I would recommend not writing anymore, lest you desire to show your embarassingly naive and sheltered view of reality.

Your "warning" and blog are some of the dumbest things I have ever heard or read. Have you ever had a real job? (No, sorry--orthodontist is not a real job). If there were one career ON THE PLANET that would easily allow you to "have it all" (ie, be a mom and have a career, work part-time, control your hours, whatever), it is ORTHODONTIST. Seriously. Get a real job during your "leave." You will count your lucky stars when you realize how good you have it relative to 98% of people out there (many of whom are mothers working full-time) who are working 50+ hours per week to make 50K.

Your post and blog are the most asinine thing I have ever read. You are clueless about reality. And by the way--200K in loans total to be an orthodontist (the value quoted on your website) would be a a great deal.

I would recommend not writing anymore, lest you desire to show your embarassingly naive and sheltered view of reality.

Good example of an overreaction right here. Someone who desires to be a stay at home mom would consider something that is 30 hours a week too much. Stay "cool" my friend.

Glad I have a penis.

:thumbup:

Did not mean to come off as a dick, a bit bitter that my younger brother graduated a top his law school and has had no job offers, so I'm sorry. Yours sounds like an ideal situation.

Here's OP: http://www.gentle1.com/doctors/bay_area/gentle_dental_pleasanton/amanda_wilson/

UCSF grad and UConn. 2 great schools with a low debt burden. I echo the sentiment here, why waste years of your life in schooling and specializing if it is not your cup of tea? You should have a vague idea of what the hell dentistry is like before you go "all-in" on it as a career choice.

Well that escalated quickly....

i'm sorry, did you just give up and walk away from dentistry, or are umad at the hawaiian dental board for being a little too protective of their turf?

if it's that bad, guilt your old man into picking up shop and relocating to the mainland where you both can practice dentistry.

pc disclaimer: i'm sure your kids are the most angelic things in the world (as they rightly should be in your eyes), but you had to know what you were signing up for when you decided to start a family in your line of work.

LOL, do ANY of us want to work all day?! That's just life!

Yes! Some of us do want to work, maybe not ALL day but a normal work schedule. I've done the stay at home bit and it is not for me. I want to be out there, interacting with adults, and being an at-work contributing member of society (being a stay at home mom is also contributing to society but in a diff way).

Dentistry is appealing because you can have a GREAT work-life balance. This is what attracts so many men and women to the field.

It's tough to realize what type of lifestyle you really want when you are in your early 20s. Maybe OP didn't realize it until it was 'too late'. Kind of sucks that she had to go through so much schooling and student loans before figuring it out.

It's tough to realize what type of lifestyle you really want when you are in your early 20s. Maybe OP didn't realize it until it was 'too late'. Kind of sucks that she had to go through so much schooling and student loans before figuring it out.

I don't get why she didn't stop after the first 4 years? Really it took her 7 years to figure it out?!

OP- Thanks for sharing your story.

I would be lying if I said this idea hasn't crossed my mind. My mom was a stay-at-home mom so I feel like I was spoiled in that regard and I had always thought I'd do the same. But starting towards the later part of high school, I realized that I didn't want to just wear only one hat of becoming a mom. I want to accomplish my own personal goals -- one of them is to become a dentist and another one is to become a mom. The way I see it, dentistry will allow me to accomplish both of these things and I've seen women dentists do it with relative ease once they've gotten everything figured out. Another point that drives me towards making a career for myself is that although my mom and dad gave me ''everything money can't buy'' by providing such a warm and loving home, we struggled financially. If you've never struggled in this way it's hard to understand, but when money is an issue, it almost consumes your life and puts a tremendous amount of stress on everything and everyone around you. I didn't feel stressed as a kid, but now that I'm struggling on my own, I can see looking back how stressed my parents really were. I don't want to live like that. I'm not talking about wanting to live like a crazy rock star spending without a care in the world, but I'd like to live comfortably. Considering all things, I really think dentistry is one of the best options for a woman wanting to become a mother and having a career too. I agree with you that most of us won't be opening a practice straight out of dental school because it's unrealistic with the amount of debt we'll already be in, but like other posters have mentioned, if you have the "where there's a will, there's a way" attitude, you can make it happen! :) Good luck with everything and I applaud you for bringing an issue to women's attention when professional school's plead rainbows and butterflies :p

Reactions: 1 users
I don't get why she didn't stop after the first 4 years? Really it took her 7 years to figure it out?!

Well, different people learn at different paces. Just because we deem her behind the learning curve on this doesn't mean she's dumb.

But, yeah, my only real gripe is that OP has a martyr complex in her blog. Now, a part of that is ranting, which is understandable. But, it's like she thinks it's such a curse being an orthodontist. TBH, she wouldn't be awarded the flexibility to retire unless she married well, which I'm sure her professional school status probably helped in that department.

I'm glad that you're happy now, OP, but to then try to warn the masses about how you can't be a stay-at-home parent and be involved in a career is common knowledge at best.

Best of luck to you regardless. :luck:

Yes! Some of us do want to work, maybe not ALL day but a normal work schedule. I've done the stay at home bit and it is not for me. I want to be out there, interacting with adults, and being an at-work contributing member of society (being a stay at home mom is also contributing to society but in a diff way).

Dentistry is appealing because you can have a GREAT work-life balance. This is what attracts so many men and women to the field.

Oh, I totally want to work! I'd go absolutely crazy if I didn't. I just don't want to work "ALL DAY," as yappy said. One of the great beauties of being a dentist is that you really don't have to! I don't know that I've ever met a general dentist who worked a 40-hour workweek. The work-life balance in this career is phenomenal. :)

This whole thread bring up an important question...

If you're a male professional; what is the value in getting married to a female professional?

My view is that if you're a male professional your wife will see your established career, and decent income, as an opportunity to "escape" like the OP. Therefore, I think it's most wise for a male professional to date younger-non-professional women who can make a peaceful home, focus on her appearance, and be all around soothing to our tired self. :thumbup: