Think very wisely before choosing pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unless your family own an independent or small chain I would ditch applying to pharmacy, with all the new pharmacy schools opening up there is going to be tsunami of graduates going to hit an already saturated market over the next few years.

Use the money to start a business in building or property development.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aparently this guy has not seen my "tons of jobs in pharmacy thread".

My thread is far more epic than this.

Honey, grow up. There's a saturated field in almost EVERYTHING right now. Haven't you heard of the problems with the job market? Haven't you heard that people in almost every field are unemployed?

Posting your thread isn't going to stop anyone from pursuing their dream--and real leaders MAKE jobs. They don't sit around waiting for jobs to come to them :cool:

Unless your family own an independent or small chain I would ditch applying to pharmacy, with all the new pharmacy schools opening up there is going to be tsunami of graduates going to hit an already saturated market over the next few years.

Thank you. I will now change my entire career and beliefs based solely on the opinion of a random internet post :thumbup:

stock-photo-the-graduates-of-lemming-u-go-over-cliff-100047878.jpg

I'll bet this forum has convinced so many pre-pharmers to run away from pharmacy that it has single-handedly reversed the surplus of pharmacy grads 5 years from now. :smuggrin:

I'm willing to bet $100,000 I'll find a job with a PharmD. Then again, I am a pretty big fan of gambling. ;)

I'll bet this forum has convinced so many pre-pharmers to run away from pharmacy that it has single-handedly reversed the surplus of pharmacy grads 5 years from now. :smuggrin:

I'm willing to bet $100,000 I'll find a job with a PharmD. Then again, I am a pretty big fan of gambling. ;)

I admire you all that are flogging the dead horse that is the pharmacy dinosaur. You guys are all seriously deluded that you will have a full and rewarding career. I am a pharmacist of 20 years experience so I think I know a little bit more than you pre-pharmers, I would never encourage anyone let alone my own kids to go into pharmacy. I am thinking of setting up my own pharmacy school just like the ones popping up on every street corner, at least I know it would be oversubscribed.

I hope you all go on and chase you dreams but for many it will be a nightmare, there is only one way to end up with a small fortune perusing a PharmD, start out with a large fortune.

Believe all the glossy faculty brochures all you like but I am telling you the truth.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Aparently this guy has not seen my "tons of jobs in pharmacy thread".

My thread is far more epic than this.

Yeah I have and your thread is a load of bull chit, half of the jobs advertised don't even exist, the chains just advertise to maintain a high profile. Mostly they don't even reply let alone send you a PFO letter!

Members don't see this ad :)
There is some truth to his post: there is a surplus of pharmacists. But as a general, confident young adult like many others going into pharmacy, I would like to think that my hard work and dedication will result in something. I think most sdn members are the smart bunch and I think that a lot of us, if not all of us will get a job - but we all known those kinds of people who just aren't with the program or as ambitious as they should be..those will be the ones without a job, if anyone.

This is only my opinion.

Cant believe that I actually recommended some friends/students to visit this site to find a out more about the pharmacy profession. What an embarrassment. They would have been better off Googling it.

Cant believe that I actually recommended some friends/students to visit this site to find a out more about the pharmacy profession. What an embarrassment. They would have been better off Googling it.
This is part of the profession. They would have gotten the bitterness eventually. Might as well be now.

I take everyone's words seriously as I take your words. But how can I borrow 200k of loan to start a business? Don't the lender need me to be enrolled in some sort of school, so that they know I will be able to pay them back? For instance, I am not going to give someone 200k to start a business if that person only has a Bachelor degree and living in an apartment.

Okay, if I had the money, what now? You sure think starting a business and be able to make a profit in this economy is easy like getting straight A in Gen chem.

What is the chance of failing in business compared to the chance of not finding a job in pharmacy?

:confused::confused::confused:

As a pre-pharm student, I hope to get in an well-establish school that is not too expensive. After all, I gotta study something that I like

From what I have gathered from reading these forums, by the time all of us graduate, all of the pharmacies will be robotic. In fact, I am sure with our pharmacy degrees we will barely be qualified enough to work at BK flipping burgers.

Last edited:

Where else on the interwebs would you have found a place where undergrad, graduate, and professionals mingle? You wouldn't. There is nothing else like SDN. Sure sometimes you have to take the good with the bad (and the constant 'bad' gets old), but honestly, where else will you find pharmacy student and pharmacists willing to give advice to undergraduate students? You just have to remember to keep everything in perspective.

Just a random thought, but if all we ever talked about was how great pharmacy is, we would be doing prepharmacy students a disservice. Sure some people go to far in the other direction (being too negative), but it comes with the territory.

tl;dr - owlegrad loves SDN :laugh:

Last edited:
Where else on the interwebs would you have found a place where undergrad, graduate, and professional mingle? You wouldn't. There is nothing else like SDN. Sure sometimes you have to take the good with the bad (and the constant 'bad' gets old), but honestly, where else will you find pharmacy student and pharmacists willing to give advice to undergraduate students? You just have to remember to keep everything in perspective.

Just a random thought, but if all we ever talked about was how great pharmacy is, we would be doing prepharmacy students a disservice. Sure some people go to far in the other direction (being too negative), but it comes with the territory.

:thumbup: I've learned so much snooping around this forum. Thank goodness it exists (/exists in app form! :laugh:).

I am a pharmacist of 20 years experience so I think I know a little bit more than you pre-pharmers.

Based on the way you talk, I don't find it strange at all that a pharmacist of 20 years experience would know just a little bit more than pre-pharmers.

Hi troll! :hello:

lololol.

Really, I laughed at least 3 times reading this thread. Great work everyone.

Oh no! You mean there will be more than one applicant for every job? Welcome to every single job in America.

We're hitting a golden age where you jokesters who made 4.0 hermit crabs are going to get left behind those of us with actual work experience.

Not to sound like a troll, but in this sub forum as well as the regular pharmacy forum people are reporting that they are struggling to find jobs or even have gone as far as persuading others to stop looking into pharmacy. Like some of you have said, the field is saturated. Does it not at all concern anyone here that unlike the other forums here, the pharmacy forums aren't in short support of users making threads warning others of the troubling and bleak outlook of the field? As one who is interested in pharmacy, that notion really speaks tons about pharmacy. I just quickly browsed the other health forums and the threads trying to persuade students from job [X} are no where as abundant as they are here. The general feel I have each time I log onto this site hasn't ever left a positive affect on me. Instead, it just causes more worry.

Although pharmacy is a dream job for some here, sometimes dreams don't put a roof over your head and that iswhat concerns me the most. Oh yeah and the ridiculous debt too. You can't forget about that.

Last edited:
Not to sound like a troll, but in this sub forum as well as the regular pharmacy forum people are reporting that they are struggling to find jobs or even have gone as far as persuading others to stop looking into pharmacy. Like some of you have said, the field is saturated. Does it not at all concern anyone here that unlike the other forums here, the pharmacy forums aren't in short support of users making threads warning others of the troubling and bleak outlook of the field? As one who is interested in pharmacy, that notion really speaks tons about pharmacy. I just quickly browsed the other health forums and the threads trying to persuade students from job [X} are no where as abundant as they are here. The general feel I have each time I log onto this site hasn't ever left a positive affect on me. Instead, it just causes more worry.

Although pharmacy is a dream job for some here, sometimes dreams don't put a roof over your head and that iswhat concerns me the most. Oh yeah and the ridiculous debt too. You can't forget about that.

Actually, if you visit the optometry forums, you will find just as many negative and dire posts, if not moreso.

Actually, if you visit the optometry forums, you will find just as many negative and dire posts, if not moreso.

Are MD/DO students also struggling? I agree what you said. I think browsing the optometry forums students and graduates alike were complaining that the field has lost it's respect, but the same can go for pharmacy as the general notion is that pharmacists are bottle fillers, but that's another story all together.

Are MD/DO students also struggling? I agree what you said. I think browsing the optometry forums students and graduates alike were complaining that the field has lost it's respect, but the same can go for pharmacy as the general notion is that pharmacists are bottle fillers, but that's another story all together.

I've seen some complaining on the MD/DO forums about lower reimbursements and insurance headaches, but they probably have it made with job security for the most part. And the optometrists (from what I've read on the forums here) start with much lower pay, between 65K-85K a year (depending on the work setting), and they have roughly the same debt as we do.

Not to sound like a troll.

How ironic to not sound like a troll but sounds like a troll. I apologize if this is not the case but otherwise some of your comments are indeed valid.

I think optometry has it much worse than pharmacy and thus more negativity.

I've seen some complaining on the MD/DO forums about lower reimbursements and insurance headaches, but they probably have it made with job security for the most part. And the optometrists (from what I've read on the forums here) start with much lower pay, between 65K-85K a year (depending on the work setting), and they have roughly the same debt as we do.

Agreed. Despite the guaranteed job security, the argument is how much can reimbursements decrease until the pay and the time/work required is no longer worth it.

Agreed. Despite the guaranteed job security, the argument is how much can reimbursements decrease until the pay and the time/work required is no longer worth it.

Won't pharmacists have to at one point in time also have to deal with this/are they not already dealing with this in a pharmacy-like way? I was talking to a clinical pharmacist over what insurance companies would or would not reimburse her for. What I was told by her was that the best she could do was suggest some other cheaper alternative. It's not exactly the same, but the idea that on the surface at least MD/DO grads have some sort of security. Security that I think all PharmD would want to have. Browsing through the Pharm forum, i was reading of one grad who was willing to do ANYTHING within reason to get a pay check to provide himself with food on his table. Granted I know I sound like I want a job market where everything works out 'happily ever after' but I know it isn't going to happen - especially in this job market. What I am internally trying to reason is if in this current dog-eat-dog job market a PharmD with it's debt being worth it despite it being a dream career. Even champions have got to know when to throw in the towel.

Last edited:
Honey, grow up. There's a saturated field in almost EVERYTHING right now. Haven't you heard of the problems with the job market? Haven't you heard that people in almost every field are unemployed?

Posting your thread isn't going to stop anyone from pursuing their dream--and real leaders MAKE jobs. They don't sit around waiting for jobs to come to them :cool:

HA! You are forgetting something called tuition, which at many schools is robbery. Spend 4 years of life, 4 years tuition, to fight for a job just like any other major. Not something I would recommend.:eek:

Oh no! You mean there will be more than one applicant for every job? Welcome to every single job in America.

We're hitting a golden age where you jokesters who made 4.0 hermit crabs are going to get left behind those of us with actual work experience.

Come on!! You think with your work experience, just like every other intern, that you will get a job easy like so?!

You think that its so easy to work hard and get in when the district is full?! When they are laying off!!

The field is cooling off and you are cheering others to jump on the falling bandwagon. so not cool

Where else on the interwebs would you have found a place where undergrad, graduate, and professionals mingle? You wouldn't. There is nothing else like SDN. Sure sometimes you have to take the good with the bad (and the constant 'bad' gets old), but honestly, where else will you find pharmacy student and pharmacists willing to give advice to undergraduate students? You just have to remember to keep everything in perspective.

I wont argue that this place does offer some great advice in getting into pharmacy school and beyond, but this trolling is unprofessional and juvenile. The new people who visit this site have enough pessimism and negativity to deal with in their lives, they come to SDN to seek advice on how to improve on their profession not to be brought down. When I first joined, I got alo of good advice, but never realized how many downers scroll around these forums. No career is perfect in todays market and all have their disadvantages. Being a doctor or a lawyer is no longer a sure thing so of course pharmacy is not going to be any different.

Only thing I have to say to these "Professionals" who try to persuade the pre-pharms from changing careers is that people already have enough sh&t to deal with on their real lives. Enough negatives and pessimism. They come to SDN to seek professional advice to help them reach their goals. If you have nothing positive to contribute, then dont bother saying anything at all. You would be more useful staying silent then trying to offer this great advice. At the end, its just one persons opinion and that is why I dont pay attention or even bother listening to OP or anybody like that. I know what I want, and Im going to pursue it until I finish it.

Im sure some pre-pharms have changed careers after seeing some of the threads like OPs. That is fine but that kind of weak mind where you let the slightest opinion tell you want to do, is going to have a hard time figuring out a career. No matter what you chose, there will always be downers like OP. What separates those who quit and those who remain in the profession is their passion for the job.

/endrant

You told your friends to check the internet for some guidance, and you are surprised that they are going to run into some shenanigans? How long have you been using the internet?

I wont argue that this place does offer some great advice in getting into pharmacy school and beyond, but this trolling is unprofessional and juvenile. The new people who visit this site have enough pessimism and negativity to deal with in their lives, they come to SDN to seek advice on how to improve on their profession not to be brought down. When I first joined, I got alo of good advice, but never realized how many downers scroll around these forums. No career is perfect in todays market and all have their disadvantages. Being a doctor or a lawyer is no longer a sure thing so of course pharmacy is not going to be any different.

Only thing I have to say to these "Professionals" who try to persuade the pre-pharms from changing careers is that people already have enough sh&t to deal with on their real lives. Enough negatives and pessimism. They come to SDN to seek professional advice to help them reach their goals. If you have nothing positive to contribute, then dont bother saying anything at all. You would be more useful staying silent then trying to offer this great advice. At the end, its just one persons opinion and that is why I dont pay attention or even bother listening to OP or anybody like that. I know what I want, and Im going to pursue it until I finish it.

Im sure some pre-pharms have changed careers after seeing some of the threads like OPs. That is fine but that kind of weak mind where you let the slightest opinion tell you want to do, is going to have a hard time figuring out a career. No matter what you chose, there will always be downers like OP. What separates those who quit and those who remain in the profession is their passion for the job.

/endrant

1) Getting an MD is a guarantee. A PharmD however is not. MD will never have a hard time landing a six or seven figure job....a PharmD will have lots of problems.

2) If someone was going into pharmacy for the easy money (99% of people do that) then it would be wise for others to tell them that pharmacy isn't easy money. The field is saturated.

3) It's good to let people know that there are millions of easier ways to make a ton of money and it doesn't have to involve pharmacy.

I don't think any of that is bad advice at all. If I was 18yo going into pharmacy and looking for easy money and had NO idea about the sh*tty job market I would want others to tell me before I get myself into this mess. I don't see whats wrong with this at all.

I don't think any of that is bad advice at all. If I was 18yo going into pharmacy and looking for easy money and had NO idea about the sh*tty job market I would want others to tell me before I get myself into this mess. I don't see whats wrong with this at all.

You mean me basing my entire life off of that one forbes article I read that said Pharmacy was a good field to go into was a bad idea!!!!!

I would suggest that if the schools just put in more requirements (ie 2000+ hours worked in a pharmacy) that would help to remove a lot of the excess and saturation. 2000 hours is like what I work in a year...I would venture to say that 1 full year worked in a pharmacy should be a good measuring stick for you as to whether or not you really want to do this for the rest of your life. Turns out most would realize pharmacy is pretty damn boring.

But yes, the biggest contributor to the problem is that people get 0 assistance choosing a career. Thus you get everyone looking for a the easiest/quickest way to get a high paying job with little to no real understanding of what they are getting into.

Hell how many people get suckered in to pharm tech school. I shake my head at every intern we get. When questioned by one why I did not go to pharmacy tech school, I straight up told them because it was a waste of time and money. All you need to be a Certified Tech is to pass one test, but damned if anyone who can sucker 15-20k out of them will tell them that.

But yes, the biggest contributor to the problem is that people get 0 assistance choosing a career.

The biggest contributor to the problem is there are too many pharmacy schools and NO standard for getting in now.

Right now anyone can get into pharmacy schools...if you are willing to pay 40K a year than you can get a PharmD degree. That's the biggest problem and that's why there is a saturation right now.

Like I said before if there were only 50 pharmacy school in this country and they all only accept people with very high GPA and PCAT score...then I can guarantee you that pharmacy would still be a very good career to go into.

However since there are 300 pharmacy schools now most of which will accept anyone. There are more seats than there are qualified applicants, so of course it's saturated. ANYONE can get into pharmacy school. So why won't it be saturated? It's so damn easy to get in. :laugh: Literally anyone can pay 200K now for a degree and be a pharmacist.

I do agree that there are too many pharmacy schools. I know of many people(with not the greatest stats) who went to a brand new schools in Maine or Tennessee from California. Nothing against these states, but if you're from California and Asian you probably don't want to go to some small town in the East coast. Later when I talked to them they mentioned they hated it and came back every two months.

At least the idea of over saturation is starting to get around to other people. When I mention to old college friends that are non-biology majors I'm in pharmacy they sometimes mention saturation and hard to get a job. Its good that more people are aware of this problem.

Just as planned...

Cool, so you have all handed in your intention to quit notices then? Excellent, even more chit pharmacy jobs left for the rest of us.

Listen guys I admire all of your intentions, just like myself when I was a starry eyed pharmacy student all those years ago. When I qualified, I was treated with respect and dignity. Pharmacy was profession then, now it is just a manual job. You run around all day doing manual jobs like putting the order away etc, I didn't study for five years to stack shelves. You stand on your feet for 12 hours relentlessly trying to improve on ever improving targets. Pharmacy schools should do a module nowadays on sales techniques as this is what sets you out when you go for a job interview, not all of our wonderful clinical knowledge. When I qualified it was always drummed into us that the patient always came first, nowadays that is bull chit, the shareholders and the executives on 7 figure bonuses are the only people that come first in pharmacy. Oh and don't go thinking you will be one of these top execs one day with all your hard work and knowledge because you won't because 1) they don't like guys that are cleverer than them as they are too much of a threat, so dont go busting your b@lls it will get you nowhere and 2) the guys at the top are usually non-pharmacists such as accountants, finance directors and bean counters. So drop any notion now of going "all the way" with wags or cvs. We're doomed, we're all doomed :smuggrin:

Cool, so you have all handed in your intention to quit notices then? Excellent, even more chit pharmacy jobs left for the rest of us.

Listen guys I admire all of your intentions, just like myself when I was a starry eyed pharmacy student all those years ago. When I qualified, I was treated with respect and dignity. Pharmacy was profession then, now it is just a manual job. You run around all day doing manual jobs like putting the order away etc, I didn't study for five years to stack shelves. You stand on your feet for 12 hours relentlessly trying to improve on ever improving targets. Pharmacy schools should do a module nowadays on sales techniques as this is what sets you out when you go for a job interview, not all of our wonderful clinical knowledge. When I qualified it was always drummed into us that the patient always came first, nowadays that is bull chit, the shareholders and the executives on 7 figure bonuses are the only people that come first in pharmacy. Oh and don't go thinking you will be one of these top execs one day with all your hard work and knowledge because you won't because 1) they don't like guys that are cleverer than them as they are too much of a threat, so dont go busting your b@lls it will get you nowhere and 2) the guys at the top are usually non-pharmacists such as accountants, finance directors and bean counters. So drop any notion now of going "all the way" with wags or cvs. We're doomed, we're all doomed :smuggrin:

Well, I see you have taken your own advice and switched careers :rolleyes:

Sounds more like whining than anything else.

Well, I see you have taken your own advice and switched careers :rolleyes:

Sounds more like whining than anything else.

I invested in property with my $30k sign on bonus and $120k salary, sold a few properties and trained as an airline pilot. Lost my medical last year and back in pharmacy doing prn stuff and i tell you it sucks big time. The view from 37,000feet is far better than the view from over the dispensary cash register any day.

If I could advise any of you guys who have the money, become an airline pilot. Best job in the world apart from pro golfer, which I am just not nearly good enough to be.

I invested in property with my $30k sign on bonus and $120k salary, sold a few properties and trained as an airline pilot. Lost my medical last year and back in pharmacy doing prn stuff and i tell you it sucks big time. The view from 37,000feet is far better than the view from over the dispensary cash register any day.

If I could advise any of you guys who have the money, become an airline pilot. Best job in the world apart from pro golfer, which I am just not nearly good enough to be.

Both sound like extremely terrible jobs, but to each their own.

Let's cut to the chase, yeah pharmacy has been good to me. 10-15 years I would have recommended pharmacy to any one. People respected you, the money was good and it was secure. Not now, things have changed. As the highest %age of jobs are in community, I could not imagine working a career in a sweat box. I would not recommend this career to anyone. Apologies folks, but it is the way I feel.

Let's cut to the chase, yeah pharmacy has been good to me. 10-15 years I would have recommended pharmacy to any one. People respected you, the money was good and it was secure. Not now, things have changed. As the highest %age of jobs are in community, I could not imagine working a career in a sweat box. I would not recommend this career to anyone. Apologies folks, but it is the way I feel.

Go start a blog then. This thread is like crusty old bread.

The biggest contributor to the problem is there are too many pharmacy schools and NO standard for getting in now.

Right now anyone can get into pharmacy schools...if you are willing to pay 40K a year than you can get a PharmD degree. That's the biggest problem and that's why there is a saturation right now.

Like I said before if there were only 50 pharmacy school in this country and they all only accept people with very high GPA and PCAT score...then I can guarantee you that pharmacy would still be a very good career to go into.

However since there are 300 pharmacy schools now most of which will accept anyone. There are more seats than there are qualified applicants, so of course it's saturated. ANYONE can get into pharmacy school. So why won't it be saturated? It's so damn easy to get in. :laugh: Literally anyone can pay 200K now for a degree and be a pharmacist.
It's okay, students who go the the well-established schools will be the ones who find jobs ( I hope) and everyone who thinks they can mess around, get low grades, and get into an unaccredited school will be in for a surprise once they graduate. I don't know this for sure and I may be a little ignorant, but I have zero respect for anyone willing to go to a newly opened school. They are contributing a lot to the saturation of pharmacy because obviously the schools aren't gonna stop opening - it is up to applicants to place a certain burden on themselves to go to a better pharmacy school.

Come on!! You think with your work experience, just like every other intern, that you will get a job easy like so?!

You think that its so easy to work hard and get in when the district is full?! When they are laying off!!

The field is cooling off and you are cheering others to jump on the falling bandwagon. so not cool

My class was made up of 40% of people with zero pharmacy experience as an intern so easy compared to them? You sure as hell better bet that it will be easier.

Falling bandwagon? You're delusional! Pharmacy is becoming like every other job where you will have to earn your spot one way or another. No room for "suck your thumbs, pass your classes, and choose where you want to go".

My class was made up of 40% of people with zero pharmacy experience as an intern so easy compared to them? You sure as hell better bet that it will be easier.

Falling bandwagon? You're delusional! Pharmacy is becoming like every other job where you will have to earn your spot one way or another. No room for "suck your thumbs, pass your classes, and choose where you want to go".

Hell half the new pre-pharm posts on here are about how quickly to get pre-reqs done so they can apply. The problem is that people can go volunteer at a pharmacy for a few hours and get in. Hell any job worth a crap looks cool the first few months you spend with it. It's after you do it day in and day out that you learn if you like it.

How many of people in Pharmacy hate their jobs, but stick with it cause they owe so much? How many hate it, but do not want to invest the time to go do something else after putting 6+ years and all the money into it?