Thinking about dropping out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OP, a lot of what you hear on this website (in a subjective thread like this) is people going back and forth discussing issues and claims that don't really matter and do not have any personal impact on your situation with the occasional grain of wisdom thrown about here and there. I can only offer you my objective story as I know how difficult it is to be where you're at.

I dropped out sometime ago from a US medschool, with no job prospects in sight. I knew that the decision was right for me at the time because I felt like I was trapped in a sinking ship with no way out (hefty loans after M1 and undergrad, lengthy training, embarrassment of dropping out, worthless BIO degree, etc.). I soon came to the conclusion that I went to medschool for ALL the wrong reasons; namely social status, wealth, and prestige.

I moved back in with my parents and literally sat at home unemployed for a solid three months feeling wretched and miserable about my life and the way I played my cards and squandered my talents. I couldn't find a job and had little hope of getting accepted to any other professional program due to the stigma of not finishing the MD. I ended up taking a part time minimum wage job at a fast food restaurant for the better part of the year. As you can imagine, Christmas that year was especially difficult! I felt like I made the worst decision of my life...

But much to my surprise things slowly started to turn around the following year. I found a job at a hospital in my area, asked about positions that were "hard to fill" and went back to school for a year of additional training. Contrary to what you may think in medical school (where EVERYONE is smart, highly motivated, and hard-working) you really do have many skills which are very attractive to employers that are well above the "national average" (how hard did you have to work to get IN to school...?).

Turns out there are literally hundreds of potential career options you can pick, you just have to look, network and have some ambition and can easily clear 80K-100K a year if you don't mind working 50-60 hours a week (to the naysayers, see above when I said "hard to fill" = lots of overtime), pay off your loans, and live the life that YOU want. I suggest that if you plan on dropping out, get a job at a big hospital in your area and see where it takes you before going back to school for a masters. As it turns out, there is also a projected shortage in other healthcare jobs too where all you would probably need is another year or two of school and some hospitals will pay for this.

Ultimately I am not advocating that you drop out. It may be the worst decision you ever make because the first year seems to be designed to be miserable. There are probably thousands of stories from attendings that faced a similar situation and sucked it up and are happy they did. Although, if you are 99.9% sure that the MD isn't your path you should know that medschool dropouts don't live in the sewers hunting rats for food.

Not yet a med student but I have thought about dropping out as a premed, and I would consider myself more "gunnerish" than average. It's not a sign of "weakness." It's more a consequence of a cost/benefit analysis. Anyone who doesn't do one is inhuman. And I would be willing to bet that most if not all of whom that are going or have gone through the training process have entertained the idea of quitting at one point. It's a natural effect of the inherent difficulty of the training process in addition to the fact that one has a CHOICE of going through it or not. It doesn't mean anything. I didn't do any worse in my classes after having thought about quitting. I imagine I wouldn't do any worse as a doctor.

To this I say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AB-iLaEisU

Again, you are weak, you wanna cry fine, you a ****, and we don't need you. :)

A bunch of you guys luckily have a forum like this to cry about your feelings, you wouldn't do that **** in front of me, cause I'd just call you pathetic and you'd probably cry.

People who do nothing but complain in med school are just annoying, like you didnt know what you were getting into? I have no sympathy for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bet you're going to do great dealing with the CHF/DM/COPD patients that come onto your service as a MS3. Afterall, they should've known that their diet/obesity/lack of exercise/smoking was going to cause their disease, right?

There's a time to be harsh, and another to be understanding. Please come back when you understand which time is for what.

Please go into diagnostic radiology or path. I wouldn't want you to see any patients, ever.

I bet you're going to do great dealing with the CHF/DM/COPD patients that come onto your service as a MS3. Afterall, they should've known that their diet/obesity/lack of exercise/smoking was going to cause their disease, right?

There's a time to be harsh, and another to be understanding. Please come back when you understand which time is for what.

Please go into diagnostic radiology or path. I wouldn't want you to see any patients, ever.

Lol. You're an idiot. I'm referring to my weaker colleagues because a lot of them can do a lot better, and most of the time simply by not being a little girl about it.

You have no idea how much I care about patients, maybe thats why when I see fellow students laughing about how they are just here to pass, I feel the need to tell them to go f* themselves, its a life or death job, treat it that way.

Again, you sir are a *****.

Also, I'm sure 98% of you SNDers got into medicine for "chick, money, power, and chicks" you have no idea what it actually mean to dedicate your life to giving others a second chance at theirs, when you actually know what that feels like, you'll then understand how easy it is to study hard, work hard, and enjoy it rather that complain that you were ever given such an opportunity in the first place.

Last edited:
Also, I'm sure 98% of you SNDers got into medicine for "chick, money, power, and chicks" you have no idea what it actually mean to dedicate your life to giving others a second chance at theirs, when you actually know what that feels like, you'll then understand how easy it is to study hard, work hard, and enjoy it rather that complain that you were ever given such an opportunity in the first place.

If this is true, then your whole argument is shot, because if it's easy to "study hard, work hard, and enjoy it" once you have an "idea [of] what it actually mean to dedicate your life to giving others a second chance at theirs," then it's not that the people who "complain that [they] were ever given such an opportunity in the first place" are "weak" as you described. It's that they simply haven't realized that "idea [of] what it actually mean to dedicate your life to giving others a second chance at theirs."

So then the next question is, are people to be blamed for not getting the "idea [of] what it actually mean to dedicate your life to giving others a second chance at theirs?" Is it through their active laziness or negligence that they've failed to realize that notion to the depth that you apparently have?

If not, then your criticisms are unfounded.

If yes, then the follow-up question is: How exactly did you come to the realization of "what it actually mean to dedicate your life to giving others a second chance at theirs?" Was it through a chain of events that happened to you? If so, did you have complete control over that sequence of events and could things have happened differently?

If you did not have control, then your criticisms are unfounded. You got "lucky" in a sense. Not everyone can be as "lucky" to have the same uncontrollable sequence of events happen to them.

If you did have control, then the follow-up question is: What was your method/strategy/plan? If it's controllable, then you must be able to articulate a method that, if followed, will lead to the same conclusion. If you can articulate it, I'd gladly follow it, for who wouldn't want to make it easy to "study hard, work hard, and enjoy it?"

If you can't articulate it, STFU and GTFO.

If you did have control, then the follow-up question is: What was your method/strategy/plan? If it's controllable, then you must be able to articulate a method that, if followed, will lead to the same conclusion. If you can articulate it, I'd gladly follow it, for who wouldn't want to make it easy to "study hard, work hard, and enjoy it?"

If you can't articulate it, STFU and GTFO.

Like I said before, just stop being little bitches haha.

On a more serious note, I can't tell you, it's for you to learn or never learn on your own.
And don't think I don't great pleasure from your frustration reading that. :)

Last edited:
Lol. You're an idiot. I'm referring to my weaker colleagues because a lot of them can do a lot better, and most of the time simply by not being a little girl about it.

You have no idea how much I care about patients, maybe thats why when I see fellow students laughing about how they are just here to pass, I feel the need to tell them to go f* themselves, its a life or death job, treat it that way.

Again, you sir are a *****.

I can't tell if I'm missing the joke here. You can't be serious, can you? Or am I just feeding a troll? My chin literally dropped reading your latest posts.

It seems like you've gone through things, and you've grown stronger because of it. While there might be some sliver of truth in what you're saying (people take things for granted...med students signed up for it, they knew what they were getting into), the way that you express your opinions isn't going to help anyone.

I give up. I don't even know how to respond to your posts. I just feel bad for your future patients. It almost seems like you're saying "Stop saying you're in pain. I know what pain means. You don't. So quit whining." I mean...are you going to say that to a patient? Maybe you think you won't, but the way you treat your classmates...I don't see how that's going to be any different from how you treat your patients. It's just like what the other person said - what are you going to do about patients who know exactly what they're doing, but do it anyway? Smoker comes in with lung cancer. "Well, you knew the risks. Sorry. Goodbye."

Smoker comes in with lung cancer. "Well, you knew the risks. Sorry. Goodbye."

Again, *****. Why do you keep saying something along those lines. And the answer is hell no, thats not me, it's obviously something along to lines of how you feel about it and your projecting. That's such a stupid position to hold, also because I am a smoker =____= so shut your mouth idiot.

Again, *****. Why do you keep saying something along those lines. And the answer is hell no, thats not me, it's obviously something along to lines of how you feel about it and your projecting. That's such a stupid position to hold, also because I am a smoker =____= so shut your mouth idiot.

You're the smoker, and he's the idiot? :naughty:

Dang dude....you seem to like throwing around ***** and idiot around left and right :lame:

Chillax, it's only a message board :)

It annoys me when someone makes a thread and then never comes back to check on it. Irritant.

It makes him feel special inside.

It does :)

Dang dude....you seem to like throwing around ***** and idiot around left and right :lame:

Chillax, it's only a message board :)

My apologies, I could see how I may have been out of line before. Still how I feel about it, if you weak, honestly the field doesn't need you. But I understand that some people deal with their situation by complaining and still make it through, if that works for you I guess we are just different people.

Last edited: