1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Thinking about passing up CWRU's 2nd'ary $50,000/year!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Green912, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Green912

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I knew CWRU was expensive but man by the time you add living expenses and everything else the bill (according to their site) adds up to $50,000 per year! I'm thinking about saving myself the $75 fee and moving on. I haven't look at their site, but do they give any preference to Ohio residents? I'm not planning to go into surgury or some other more lucritive field so a $200,000 final tab seems a bit prohibitive. Any thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

once you add in living expenses most non-state schools come to this amount. Case is however quite good at giving financial aid. Welcome to reality. It sucks ;)

4. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, Case does give preferential treatment to us residents of Ohio. The reserve about 60% of their class for Ohians. This is because the receive a significant amount of funding from the state of Ohio...ie us taxpayers.

5. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench
    7+ Year Member

Yes, drop the application. Less competition for me!! j/k :)

$50k is pretty nasty but also pretty common. I guess it comes down to how high up on your list it is. Case is #1 for me, so I'll find the cash if they let me in. I am applying to a few others with numbers between 50 and 55K, but will probably pick a state school over those.

Just my way of looking at it.

6. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you don't get into your state school, expect to pay at least that much out of state.

7. Mike59

Mike59 Sweatshop FP in Ontario
    7+ Year Member

In a career as financially rewarding as medicine, cost should not be an issue. You can get loans for every penny you need, whether it be $10000 or $300 000.

To me, the right schools to fit my needs are going to run me at least $50k a year based on their websites. I would not choose my state school solely on cost, cause in the middle of one's 3rd year it may suddenly become apparent how miserable the state school is, and $50000 a year may not be so bad a price for happiness.

Just my $.02

8. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench
    7+ Year Member

Agreed, but some of us have very solid state schools.

9. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am praying that I will get into my state school. That would give me an extra $60000 I wouldn't have to worry about. I've probably only made $20000 in my entire life up to this point.

10. pcl

pcl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I was accepted at several out-of-state schools, and by the time everything was said and done, they were all about $50K.

I chose case, and they have been helpful with financial aid, however, my family is not especially affluent.

I'm happy here though, and I think we are getting a great education, but I'm just a lowly second year.