Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Thinking about passing up CWRU's 2nd'ary $50,000/year!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Green912, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Green912

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I knew CWRU was expensive but man by the time you add living expenses and everything else the bill (according to their site) adds up to $50,000 per year! I'm thinking about saving myself the $75 fee and moving on. I haven't look at their site, but do they give any preference to Ohio residents? I'm not planning to go into surgury or some other more lucritive field so a $200,000 final tab seems a bit prohibitive. Any thoughts?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

once you add in living expenses most non-state schools come to this amount. Case is however quite good at giving financial aid. Welcome to reality. It sucks ;)

3. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, Case does give preferential treatment to us residents of Ohio. The reserve about 60% of their class for Ohians. This is because the receive a significant amount of funding from the state of Ohio...ie us taxpayers.

4. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench
    7+ Year Member

Yes, drop the application. Less competition for me!! j/k :)

$50k is pretty nasty but also pretty common. I guess it comes down to how high up on your list it is. Case is #1 for me, so I'll find the cash if they let me in. I am applying to a few others with numbers between 50 and 55K, but will probably pick a state school over those.

Just my way of looking at it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you don't get into your state school, expect to pay at least that much out of state.

6. Mike59

Mike59 Sweatshop FP in Ontario
    7+ Year Member

In a career as financially rewarding as medicine, cost should not be an issue. You can get loans for every penny you need, whether it be $10000 or $300 000.

To me, the right schools to fit my needs are going to run me at least $50k a year based on their websites. I would not choose my state school solely on cost, cause in the middle of one's 3rd year it may suddenly become apparent how miserable the state school is, and $50000 a year may not be so bad a price for happiness.

Just my $.02

7. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench
    7+ Year Member

Agreed, but some of us have very solid state schools.

8. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am praying that I will get into my state school. That would give me an extra $60000 I wouldn't have to worry about. I've probably only made $20000 in my entire life up to this point.

9. pcl

pcl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I was accepted at several out-of-state schools, and by the time everything was said and done, they were all about $50K.

I chose case, and they have been helpful with financial aid, however, my family is not especially affluent.

I'm happy here though, and I think we are getting a great education, but I'm just a lowly second year.