Thinking about passing up CWRU's 2nd'ary $50,000/year!!

• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!

Green912

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I knew CWRU was expensive but man by the time you add living expenses and everything else the bill (according to their site) adds up to $50,000 per year! I'm thinking about saving myself the $75 fee and moving on. I haven't look at their site, but do they give any preference to Ohio residents? I'm not planning to go into surgury or some other more lucritive field so a $200,000 final tab seems a bit prohibitive. Any thoughts?

tBw

totally deluded
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
infront of an iMac
Status (Visible)
once you add in living expenses most non-state schools come to this amount. Case is however quite good at giving financial aid. Welcome to reality. It sucks ;)

WSUreds

15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2001
Midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Yeah, Case does give preferential treatment to us residents of Ohio. The reserve about 60% of their class for Ohians. This is because the receive a significant amount of funding from the state of Ohio...ie us taxpayers.

About the Ads

Zoobaby

Monkey Wrench
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2002
BFE
Status (Visible)
Yes, drop the application. Less competition for me!! j/k :)

$50k is pretty nasty but also pretty common. I guess it comes down to how high up on your list it is. Case is #1 for me, so I'll find the cash if they let me in. I am applying to a few others with numbers between 50 and 55K, but will probably pick a state school over those.

Just my way of looking at it.

SolidGold

Florida winters are the best!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2002
Tampa, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
If you don't get into your state school, expect to pay at least that much out of state.

Mike59

Sweatshop FP in Ontario
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2001
The inner-net
Status (Visible)
In a career as financially rewarding as medicine, cost should not be an issue. You can get loans for every penny you need, whether it be $10000 or $300 000.

To me, the right schools to fit my needs are going to run me at least $50k a year based on their websites. I would not choose my state school solely on cost, cause in the middle of one's 3rd year it may suddenly become apparent how miserable the state school is, and $50000 a year may not be so bad a price for happiness.

Just my $.02

Zoobaby

Monkey Wrench
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2002
BFE
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Mike59
In a career as financially rewarding as medicine, cost should not be an issue. You can get loans for every penny you need, whether it be $10000 or $300 000.

To me, the right schools to fit my needs are going to run me at least $50k a year based on their websites. I would not choose my state school solely on cost, cause in the middle of one's 3rd year it may suddenly become apparent how miserable the state school is, and $50000 a year may not be so bad a price for happiness.

Just my $.02

Agreed, but some of us have very solid state schools.

mws99

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2002
Status (Visible)
I am praying that I will get into my state school. That would give me an extra $60000 I wouldn't have to worry about. I've probably only made $20000 in my entire life up to this point.

pcl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2001
Cleveland
Status (Visible)
I was accepted at several out-of-state schools, and by the time everything was said and done, they were all about $50K.

I chose case, and they have been helpful with financial aid, however, my family is not especially affluent.

I'm happy here though, and I think we are getting a great education, but I'm just a lowly second year.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.