thinking about podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mainegirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions about podiatry.
I was looking at DO and MD programs and got some information about DPMs after taking the MCAT.
I did average (25 O) on the MCAT.
I have a strong 3.48 GPA, 3.45 Science GPA (BS in Chemistry: I graduate in 2 weeks!).
I have shadowing experience with MDs although they were surgeons, in an area without DPMs. I have seen many foot, ankle, and lower leg surgeries. I am very interested in doing surgery and have interests in treating and possibly research with Diabites. I feel like podiatry would be a good fit for me.
I don't have a LOR from a DPM, although I have 2 from MD surgeons.
I was wondering if I have a chance at getting into podiatry school, or if I would need further shadowing?
I also wanted to know about the northeast podiatry schools because that is where I am from. Are they average, above average, etc? Specifically Temple?
I guess I was also wondering what the lifestyle of a podiatrist is like... and I guess I would know more if I could shadow, but if anyone has any insight I would really appriciate it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few questions about podiatry.
I was looking at DO and MD programs and got some information about DPMs after taking the MCAT.
I did average (25 O) on the MCAT.
I have a strong 3.48 GPA, 3.45 Science GPA (BS in Chemistry: I graduate in 2 weeks!).
I have shadowing experience with MDs although they were surgeons, in an area without DPMs. I have seen many foot, ankle, and lower leg surgeries. I am very interested in doing surgery and have interests in treating and possibly research with Diabites. I feel like podiatry would be a good fit for me.
I don't have a LOR from a DPM, although I have 2 from MD surgeons.
I was wondering if I have a chance at getting into podiatry school, or if I would need further shadowing?
I also wanted to know about the northeast podiatry schools because that is where I am from. Are they average, above average, etc? Specifically Temple?
I guess I was also wondering what the lifestyle of a podiatrist is like... and I guess I would know more if I could shadow, but if anyone has any insight I would really appriciate it.

Thanks!

http://www.aacpm.org/contactpod/program.asp

Here is a mentor's network for shadowing a pod if you're interested. Temple is probably the best school on the east coast and Yes, i would recommend it (Though RFUMS/SCPM in Chicago is the best! :p)

Pod lives still range tremendously so it's hard to say what a typical life of a pod is like. I can tell you more what the life of a typical pod-student is or resident life is.

http://rfums.org/scpm/dvd/

Here is a video I made for SCPM, but it gives the general impression of what life is like for all pod students. Good luck!

stafocker, check the mcat mailing thread :cool: