Thinking about reapplying this cycle. Any advice would be very helpful!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvg114

Reaction score
I'm currently on the waitlist for 2 MD schools and I'm not very hopeful of getting into either of them. I'm thinking of reapplying this cycle while boosting my extracurriculars as I don't want to take two full years off. Any advice on what Experience/EC's would be most helpful or general advice on my application would be very helpful.

I planned on doing research while volunteering but due to Covid-19, many of these opportunities have fell through. Advice on other opportunities during these times would be great too.

Some context:
Graduated from the University of Michigan
Michigan Resident
3.97 GPA in Biology
517 MCAT
*Applied fairly late in the cycle and I think this hurt my chances. Therefore, my interview dates were one of the last.

Experience:
~200 hours of clinical experience working as a OT/PT and Child Life volunteer (involved direct patient contact at patient's bedside)
~150 hours of tutoring over 50 undergraduate students in Organic Chem 1 and 2 (involved 2 hour classes of 7-15 undergraduates at a time)
~15 hours running American Red Cross blood drives
~30 hours as a Science Olympiad Coach for a local elementary school
- No research experience (looking for RA positions during my gap year)

Schools that I applied to:
University of Michigan
Michigan State University
Central Michigan University
Western Michigan University
OUWB
Wayne State University
NEOMED
Indiana University
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Cornell
Case Western Reserve
University of Wisconsin
Loyola University
New York Medical College
University of Florida College of Medicine
University of Central Florida COM
Florida State University COM

I knew my application lacked research experience, but this wasn't something I was passionate about during undergrad. I am considering looking for CNA positions, RA positions, or medical scribe positions but considering the pandemic I've been finding this very difficult.

Any advice on improving my application for this cycle is welcome.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Just at first glance I see your hours in ECs are very short. Were any of these positions long term?? If you have to reapply, I suggest scribing because I found it to be extremely rewarding and it doesn't seem like you have had any shadowing so that will open some doors for you there. Your stats are great which helps a lot. Even though you were late, I really think its from the short hours of experiences and lack of shadowing. I know students getting in from the last interview dates schools were offering. I would recommend rewriting all of your experiences and PS as well so it better reflects your passion for medicine. I'm not great with school lists but just keep in that your MCAT/GPA should be within the averages of these schools and applying to OOS low tier schools will not do you any good. For the Michigan schools (I am from Michigan) focus on talking about why you want to practice medicine in Michigan and that's why it's important to you to go to school here. Most of them are lower tier besides UofM so I feel its necessary to mention. Hopefully you get pulled off a waitlist soon but good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just at first glance I see your hours in ECs are very short. Were any of these positions long term?? If you have to reapply, I suggest scribing because I found it to be extremely rewarding and it doesn't seem like you have had any shadowing so that will open some doors for you there. Your stats are great which helps a lot. Even though you were late, I really think its from the short hours of experiences and lack of shadowing. I know students getting in from the last interview dates schools were offering. I would recommend rewriting all of your experiences and PS as well so it better reflects your passion for medicine. I'm not great with school lists but just keep in that your MCAT/GPA should be within the averages of these schools and applying to OOS low tier schools will not do you any good. For the Michigan schools (I am from Michigan) focus on talking about why you want to practice medicine in Michigan and that's why it's important to you to go to school here. Most of them are lower tier besides UofM so I feel its necessary to mention. Hopefully you get pulled off a waitlist soon but good luck to you!
The child life volunteering was over four semesters during school but only 3 hours per week due to so many students volunteering there. I'm definitely interested in scribing but I'm unsure whether there's any opportunities for this given the pandemic. Also, would you recommend I focus on a long term clinical position such as a CNA/scribing or would you recommend looking for a research position? Thank you so much, it really means a lot!

Where were you interviewed and which 2 schools are you on the waitlist ?
I interviewed at Wayne State and NEOMED and was waitlisted at both schools. NEOMED releases their alternate list ranking and I was #190 so I don't imagine that'll pan out. Does a higher MCAT/GPA hurt my chances of getting into lower tier schools?

You do need 50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care). More clinical and non clinical hours would also help. With your stats you should receive more than 2 interviews. It is your ECs that are limiting your chances. Research is not essential but no research combined with no shadowing limits your chances. When were planning to reapply ?

You do need 50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care). More clinical and non clinical hours would also help. With your stats you should receive more than 2 interviews. It is your ECs that are limiting your chances. Research is not essential but no research combined with no shadowing limits your chances. When were planning to reapply ?
I completely agree. I ideally wanted to apply this coming cycle as I don't want to take two years off before attending medical school. Then during this application cycle I plan on boosting my EC's. I'm conflicted as whether I should focus on research or clinical hours.

Clinical hours are more important than research.
Great! Are there any clinical opportunities that you would recommend? I've found it difficult especially with the pandemic and the relatively small city that I live in.

Great! Are there any clinical opportunities that you would recommend? I've found it difficult especially with the pandemic and the relatively small city that I live in.
The 50 hours of shadowing and any clinical volunteering or employment with patient contact.

Reactions: 1 user
The child life volunteering was over four semesters during school but only 3 hours per week due to so many students volunteering there. I'm definitely interested in scribing but I'm unsure whether there's any opportunities for this given the pandemic. Also, would you recommend I focus on a long term clinical position such as a CNA/scribing or would you recommend looking for a research position? Thank you so much, it really means a lot!
I don't recommend research compared to clinical experience/scribing. Like I mentioned, more doors will open for you as a scribe than a researcher. I worked at DMC and made a ton of connections. With the pandemic it will be hard but give it time and keep looking. If you take a gap year and find a scribe or clinical position, you could also look for a research gig that doesn't take up too much time since you will have a ton of time.